Cruise prices to be affected by increased fuel prices

We see gas climbing well over 3.00 a gal. (supposed to be an additional 60 cent increase in our area by morning) (Florida) Cost to drive is becoming a very serious concern... airlines are doubling prices due to cost of fuel... and I am hearing that cruise prices will take a huge increase due to cost of fuel for the ship as well.

How do you think the cost of fuel substansially increasing are going to impact our economy and the cost of cruising?

I think anything is possible at this point.I don't know if anyone will actually add surcharges at this point..But man,its got to be tough.I know some ships take on fuel at other ports,(other countries) so the cost of fuel may not be as much of an increase for them..I have not heard how this is suppossed to effect the cost of fuel in other countries.I got 99 pp each way from Hou to Orlando for Oct 1st.At this point,I am worried that my shuttle from MCO to the ship may cost more than my airfare:eek:

To be frank,it would not surprise me if things get way worse all over the Gulf and East Coast before they get better..Main pipelines from Tex and LA that suppliy gas to the east coast are shut down due to no power...East coast is expected to see gas rationing...very anxious times for everyone.

Crystal decided long before hurricane season, that reservations made after July 15, 2005 would have a $4.00 per person per day charge. This means an extra $56 per double occupancy cabin per cruise for fuel. This is a luxury line, but I hope it doesn't become a standard on all cruise lines.This is what was posted on their site:

"Crystal Cruises resisted the implementation of a fuel surcharge for many months and hoped that we could continue to absorb the additional expense until prices declined. However, we find that we cannot ignore the continued rising price of oil and its negative impact on our operating costs. (The June 14 issue of The Wall Street Journal noted that oil prices were significantly up again, marking the highest closing price for crude-oil futures since April.)

Given the continued high fuel costs, as of July 15, 2005, we will institute a temporary fuel surcharge of $4.00 per person, per day for cruises departing after July 15, which are not paid in full by that date.

We will continue to monitor world oil prices and make adjustments as necessary."

6/15/05

Ok...sure..I can see that.I guess I meant I don't see them adding a surcharge after paid in full...Or is that what "surcharge" means actually..After paid..:confused:

That is interesting,being they are a high end line.But given their small size,it may be harder for them than the larger lines???

Thanks for that info.

I looked at the cost of my March cruise (w/ cruise line air) this past Saturday night. The price had not gone up since I booked back in March. I just looked at what it would cost now and it has gone up by over $250.

Yeah...I played with my airfare for a long time.I got it at 99 pp each way Hou - MCO...kept waiting for the 79 pp,but was running out of available flights,so I took the 99..Of course,the next week..It dropped...

I am greatful now for what I got.:eek:

Yeah...I played with my airfare for a long time.I got it at 99 pp each way Hou - MCO...kept waiting for the 79 pp,but was running out of available flights,so I took the 99..Of course,the next week..It dropped...

I am greatful now for what I got.:eek:

We never could find cheap flights to San Juan, that is why we went with custom air through cruiseline. Still glad we settled everything a couple of weeks ago before prices started rising.

I booked another cruise this past weekend for December. I'm glad I didn't wait because the price for that one has gone up as well. And that one didn't include airfare.

a year in advance and paid 599 per interior. I just looked at the rccl website and after going to a high of 1109 it is back at 699. I am still glad that I booked so early, I got the cabins I wanted, but for a Thanksgiving cruise it looks like it is going to end up about the same. This is my first cruise so I am still learning the ropes.:)

I think the next 6 months will be BAD. The president released oil from the strategic reserve and temporarily eliminated epa fuel blends to lower refined fuel prices, but the biggest issue is the loss of refineries.

As hard as it is to believe, I think in 6 months we will hear about how quickly things have improved (I am a firm believer in Americans - especially after the 9/11 clean-up) and this will lead to a glut of oil on the market. Much of the oil issues, prior to the Gulf disaster were commodity market fears.

The next six months will see surcharges and elevated fares (and falling stock prices for those looking to get their 100 shares of RCL stock :)). Those looking further out from there should not worry.

I looked at the cost of my March cruise (w/ cruise line air) this past Saturday night. The price had not gone up since I booked back in March. I just looked at what it would cost now and it has gone up by over $250.

Price changes like this are quite common and may not be directly related to fuel prices.

Up until a few days ago, gas prices were high because demand was high. There really wasn't a supply problem. Now it seems that we have supply problem, in addition to high demand. The next few months are going to be tough. By tough I mean that if gas prices ever go down, people won't have a clue what to do with all the extra money.

I have no sympathy for them. They schedule ships, routes etc, well over a year in advance, so they have a good idea of what their fuel needs are...they can easily buy contracts for that fuel that helps hedge against fuel price increases like we are in now. If they have not, it seems a poor way of running a business...

"The next six months will see surcharges and elevated fares (and falling stock prices for those looking to get their 100 shares of RCL stock :)). Those looking further out from there should not worry."

Of course RCL stock is going down, I just bought the last of my 100 shares last week!:mad: Took me 2 years to get there, darn it all! Oh well, on the good side I know have a $50 shipboard credit waiting for me on my Empress Cruise!!

They can't add fees at the pier can they? If they asked for fuel surcharges at the pier, after I have fully paid the agreed-to fare, I would be very upset. Mind you, I doubt I would abandon my vacation because of it....but it would not be a good start to a vacation week.

The prices for our cruise next March have gone down:D Infact I am calling our TA this morning to see if they will do an adjustment on ours. I am thinking that they might be having a hard time filling ships now due to the prices of fuel to get to the ports. Glad we bought our flight tickets a few months ago!:D

Something will have to give.Either these ships will sail 1/2 full because no one can afford to fly or people will stick to ports close buy.Were doing voyager in 3 days out of jersey which is a 3 hr drive for us-even at current gas prices it's still cheaper than flying to say miami(we have a family of 5 so do the math)It really sucks when you find a good deal online only to find the airfare is more than the cruise.We've wanted to do adventure of the seas for years because my wife wants to see aruba but the air to san juan is killer.It will get to the point were the cruise lines won't be able to give these cruises away.I want to book Freedom for 07 while were on voyager next week,but i can't book air until 11 months prior(which is Feb) and i'm terrified as to what it's going to be.I wonder if it's better to say the hell with the onboard credit and try to hold out for a better deal.It looks like cruising is gonna take a step back 30 years to were only the ultra-rich can afford it.

Just like airfare I think it has to impact cruises. You have to remember how much fuel these massive ships burn. Even smaller ships like Majesty, Windward, Sensation etc all burn well in excess of 1000 gallons of fuel per hour. These are usually deisel engines. The new ships ( Millenium class, Radiance class) have GTV engines which burn the same fuel as jet aircraft a type of fuel that is even more expensive than deisel.

To understand how much these ships are gas guzzlers think about this.

Before the QE2 was re-engined in 1988 each gallon of fuel used to move her 36 feet ( yes feet) now she moves a whopping 49.5 feet for each gallon of fuel burned.

Archived