San Pedro 4 ships in port--Ruby pier TBA

SoCal Cruiser78

I finally got through by phone to someone in the port office in San Pedro. She confirmed that three cruise ships is their facility max. She also confirmed the Ruby is not currently on their schedule for 10/03/15. I asked about using one of the cargo berths, but she didn't seem to think that was an option. Unfortunately, she said she wasn't able to connect me with whomever makes the final berth assignments :(.

I asked why the Ruby is showing berth TBA for several other cruises when other ships are already assigned, and she also didn't know. She said they may be awaiting more info from Princess.

I asked how often their website is updated, and the port rep said it is updated as soon as a berth is assigned.

To sum up, the port rep was very pleasant, but wasn't able to provide any additional info on the Ruby's berth assignments in the fall.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I thought the experiences of passengers going to pier 46 were bad...it'll be interesting to learn the outcome.

I don't know about embarking at 46, but disembarking wasn't bad. We came off Crown a few Monday's ago and thought that the port handled their end of it nicely.

I wonder if the Lane Victory, which is now docked next to 46 and still goes out to sea sometimes, would move for a day? And whether a jumbo cruise ship would fit in her berth?

DW and I are on the Jewel of the Seas for October 3rd...our rollcall has been well aware of this (crisis) for months. We were actually more concerned about hotel space. Booked it the day it opened up.

The NCL Pearl is the odd-ball, as it is only picking up passengers as part of it's Panama Canal trip that originates out of San Francisco, thus will not require customs clearance....so it's berthing location seems the most likely to be changed.

Another option might to be park the Lane Victory out in the harbor on the 3rd, and park one of the other ships there.

I finally got through by phone to someone in the port office in San Pedro. She confirmed that three cruise ships is their facility max. She also confirmed the Ruby is not currently on their schedule for 10/03/15. I asked about using one of the cargo berths, but she didn't seem to think that was an option. Unfortunately, she said she wasn't able to connect me with whomever makes the final berth assignments :(.

I asked why the Ruby is showing berth TBA for several other cruises when other ships are already assigned, and she also didn't know. She said they may be awaiting more info from Princess.

I asked how often their website is updated, and the port rep said it is updated as soon as a berth is assigned.

To sum up, the port rep was very pleasant, but wasn't able to provide any additional info on the Ruby's berth assignments in the fall.

Thanks for making the call.

DW and I are on the Jewel of the Seas for October 3rd...our rollcall has been well aware of this (crisis) for months. We were actually more concerned about hotel space. Booked it the day it opened up.

The NCL Pearl is the odd-ball, as it is only picking up passengers as part of it's Panama Canal trip that originates out of San Francisco, thus will not require customs clearance....so it's berthing location seems the most likely to be changed.

Another option might to be park the Lane Victory out in the harbor on the 3rd, and park one of the other ships there.

Good points! Time will tell, I guess. Hotels and parking with both be problematic at best, in any case. I suppose my backup plan will be to park at Long Beach airport or cruise port and take a cab back to San Pedro :(.

Edited by Ryndam2002

• 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens ;). I just spoke with a phone rep at Princess who seemed quite knowledgeable. She said that for 10/3/15, Princess has just moved the Crown's berth assignment from 93 to 46, and placed the previously TBA Ruby in berth 93.

The port's website doesn't reflect any of this, and still shows the Crown in 93, and RCL's Jewel of the Seas in 46...