FYI: Jewel Obstructed view may equal NO view!

tominabox1

We returned from 7 glorious days on the Jewel on Saturday with this piece of advice: many of the obstructed ocean view rooms on Deck 8 have NO OCEAN VIEW. That's right, the windows are frosted, which in my opinion is not an ocean view but a *no view* stateroom. If you follow the logic, an inside could be considered an obstructed ocean view...

So be wary of booking an OX guarantee on the Jewel, you might not get an ocean view at all.

Edited by tominabox1

We returned from 7 glorious days on the Jewel on Saturday with this piece of advice: many of the obstructed ocean view rooms on Deck 8 have NO OCEAN VIEW. That's right, the windows are frosted, which in my opinion is not an ocean view but a *no view* stateroom. If you follow the logic, an inside could be considered an obstructed ocean view...

So be wary of booking an OX guarantee on the Jewel, you might not get an ocean view at all.

Wow!! That doesn't seem fair.:confused:

Do you mean the windows are frosted or have the seals broken and there is water vapor between the panes?

Do you have photos?

We (and several in our group) have booked obstructed OV's on the Jewel for an upcoming Alaska cruise.

Do you mean the windows are frosted or have the seals broken and there is water vapor between the panes?

Do you have photos?

We (and several in our group) have booked obstructed OV's on the Jewel for an upcoming Alaska cruise.

The windows are frosted intentionally. You get light through but you don't see anything.

Not my picture but:

41bdd76ce3fc2547d84418bf2cf5706d_800.jpeg

Edited by tominabox1

Do you still remember what is the stateroom number?

Thanks.

How do you know it was the ocean on the other side of the frosted glass and not a light that is set to mimic daylight? Just kidding.

I agree, a frosted glass does not make an ocean view. It would have been very difficult for me to not demand an actual ocean view (cabin change) or refund of the difference between my cabin cost and an inside cabin price.

The picture you posted makes me think of it as just room with extra lighting during the day....

Edited by Kingofwylietx

Do you still remember what is the stateroom number?

Thanks.

Yes we were in 8074 and most of the cabins forward of O'Sheehans were the same, another couple in our roll call had one a few doors down and we saw many as we walked through the halls during cleaning hours. There are some that are not frosted on the deck but I couldn't tell you which ones. I don't recall seeing any cabins aft of O'Sheehans but I think they are the same (frosted).

How do you know it was the ocean on the other side of the frosted glass and not a light that is set to mimic daylight? Just kidding.

I agree, a frosted glass does not make an ocean view. It would have been very difficult for me to not demand an actual ocean view (cabin change) or refund of the difference between my cabin cost and an inside cabin price.

We might have complained however we booked for $370 pp and got the drink package and we would have been happy in an inside if we could have got the drink package. Going to an inside would have cost MORE near sailing and I know what customer service would have said anyway: "that is considered an obstructed view, sorry" We've not had a lot of positive experience with NCL's customer service.

Ultimately this was not a big deal for us, we had a blast on the cruise and would have regardless of the cabin type, I just wanted to make sure people are aware that "ocean view" does not always mean "ocean view"

Edited by tominabox1

Yes we were in 8074 and most of the cabins forward of O'Sheehans were the same, another couple in our roll call had one a few doors down and we saw many as we walked through the halls during cleaning hours. There are some that are not frosted on the deck but I couldn't tell you which ones. I don't recall seeing any cabins aft of O'Sheehans but I think they are the same (frosted).

Thanks for the heads up.

The windows are frosted intentionally. You get light through but you don't see anything.

Not my picture but:

41bdd76ce3fc2547d84418bf2cf5706d_800.jpeg

We have a sideways configured cabin (8094) and most of our friends are in that same area. We will be extremely upset if our windows are frosted!

Does anyone know if this means the Pearl will be the same way, as they are the same class of ship?

We have 8052 on the Pearl, I don't mind an obstruction but frosted windows NO I still want to see outside even if it is a boat.

I have tried searching on the boards but most information is old.

Edited by NewEnglandNANA

Does anyone know if this means the Pearl will be the same way, as they are the same class of ship?

We have 8052 on the Pearl, I don't mind an obstruction but frosted windows NO I still want to see outside even if it is a boat.

I have tried searching on the boards but most information is old.

I'm not booked, but I'm in agreement. At least give a view of a boat:eek: To me, who really does not like insides, might as well book one and just keep the lights on.

We were on the same cruise, in cabin 8082 and had the same type of window. We located the rooms while tendering back from Trujillo. The windows basically overlook a catwalk with lifeboats in front of them. The only reason we were able to locate them was because we used the lifeboats while tendering in Trujillo. Really disappointing, and had it not been for the great deal we'd booked (also including the UBP) we would have been really upset. As it was, we weren't in our rooms very often and it didn't make much of a difference. But we did joke that for all we knew they could be backlit opaque windows and if that were the case, they should install them in the inside staterooms and call them Obstructed View Cabins.

Aside from that, the cruise was awesome - having the beverage package was INCREDIBLE. On one afternoon alone, we sat out by the pool for a few hours reading while enjoying drinks. When we signed the slip, it was $240. Not bad for $339/person!

I am also booked in an obstructed view on the Pearl 8562. I too am concerned about the frosted windows. I assume the Pearl and the Jewel would be the same since they are the same class of ships. I have tried searching for information on these cabins but basically have come up with nothing informative. I don't book inside rooms because I need to be able to see something outside. I wonder about the reason for the frosted glass and how many obstructed view rooms have them???

Sorry to hear, but also glad you had a blast. We are never in our room, but booked a ocean view just to get the UBP. However, on occasion it would be nice to look out and see something.

Was the window purposefully frosted over, or dirty from sea water?

Sounds like it was frosted over with some sort of paint (from what you are saying).

Edited by DreamingBig1

Sorry to hear, but also glad you had a blast. We are never in our room, but booked a ocean view just to get the UBP. However, on occasion it would be nice to look out and see something.

Was the window purposefully frosted over, or dirty from sea water?

Sounds like it was frosted over with some sort of paint (from what you are saying).

Definitely frosted over purposely. Think: opaque bathroom windows. The light filters through a bit, but that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk