Freeport Grand Lucyan beach day

molly5673

It's a public beach. $5pp cab ride to the Lucaya marketplace and then walk across the street to Lucaya Beach. We've done this several times.

Edited by Tapi

There may be a public area to the beach that is free near the Lucaya marketplace, but I didn't see it/know about it when I went last May.

Take a cab to the Lucaya Marketplace and you will see the Grand Lucayan. To use the pools, loungers, and bathrooms at the Grand Lucayan, I believe it was $15 per person to get in, and I thought it was well worth it for a nice beach day. There is a beach entrance that is guarded, and you just pay right there. You can purchase food and drink, but it has to be on a credit card since you aren't staying at the resort. There are a lot of restaurants in the Lucaya Marketplace that take cash, and believe it or not, several locals recommended we go to Zorba's Greek restaurant. It was kind of a crazy mix of Greek and Bahamian food, but it was pretty good.

When you get to the port just go to the cab area, and tell one of the people there where you want to go and they will get you to the right cab. The cabs are shared vans, and when we went everyone planned to go to the Grand Lucayan, but the driver talked some people into going to a different beach that was more of a cab fare, but free to get into the actual beach. We just said we still wanted to go to the Grand Lucayan and he took us there after he dropped the others off. When the cab driver lets you off you pay the round trip fare in advance and he gives you a card that you will turn in when you are ready to go back.