An Epic Cruise & Aft Balcony Review (with pics) - W. Caribbean - Feb. 8-15, 2015

marciemi

Before this cruise, I doubt we'd ever had more than 8-10 drinks during an entire cruise so this sounded quite overwhelming to us too. But it really wasn't that hard to do. I'd also been concerned that it would seem like we spent half of our cruise at bars rather than enjoying the cruise. But we normally did the specialty dining at 5:30 (which would take around 2 hours) and it was easy to drink 3-4 glasses of wine during the meal. We usually did the 9pm shows so another 2 drinks while waiting/during the show didn't seem like much - and neither of those involved having to go to a bar or do anything different than we already were. Add in even one with lunch and another at the pool or picking up at a bar to take back to the balcony or during afternoon trivia and you're at 8 right there. And other than maybe at dinner there was never enough to ever even feel a "buzz" (especially with the amount of food you got at dinners!). I was far more concerned with the calories I was taking in than the alcohol! :eek:

WOW!!! :eek: Bet you thought the seas were rough as you wandered the halls. :D:D:D 1/2 glass of wine makes me cross eyed. And here I was stepping out by trying some expresso coffee. :rolleyes: Glad you enjoyed the UBP.

On to the best part of the cruise - the FOOD! And made way better by the addition of the UDP! We did a cost analysis and decided the UBP was by far a better deal for us and we'd probably just do one or two of the specialty restaurants. DH really wanted to do the Cirque show so we booked that and I started looking at the restaurants and decided we'd at least want to do Moderno and Teppanyaki. But then I found out the UDP included Cirque if you booked it on the first night so once I added that cost along with those two restaurants, my math was that for another $34 each we could do all the specialty restaurants we wanted instead! Didn't know until later that Teppanyaki would be open for lunch so we could pick that up too (which we did on two afternoons).

Bottom line is that the specialty dining was WAY beyond worth it. Service in all of them was great - I know people complained about a lack of "personal" touch with servers and no, they never asked me what I did in port or how my day was. But that's not what I expect at a nice restaurant - ask me how my food is or if I need anything and fill my drinks and you don't need to ask about my life. It was just upscale dining, great food, a nice (usually kid-less) atmosphere, with great views! After the first couple days, we figured out that if we ate right at 5:30 at any of the restaurants (I'd made most reservations for 6) that we got a great seat, right next to the window, with great views (and frequently, no one else sitting anywhere near us for at least the first hour). I would absolutely, without question, do this on any future NCL cruise. Additionally, although I had read here that tipping was included and not expected, we pretty much always tipped at least $10 in each of these restaurants just because it seemed like such a good deal to us and the service was always so good. Of course this includes usually us getting several glasses of wine as well so I really felt that an extra tip was warranted. Some pics and thoughts on each of the specialty restaurants:

Teppanyaki - as mentioned, we ate here for two lunches and it was the normal cost/full meal/menu at that time. Wish we had on the third day as well (it appeared to only be open during sea days) but we'd decided we wanted to try the buffet once. The chefs both times were very friendly and put on a great show (we go to Benihana and other similar Japanese steakhouses somewhat frequently and they seemed to have more fun with it on the ship). Wasn't identical to a Benihana in terms of all the sides/sauces, etc. but very similar and the menu offerings were great (I got filet and substituted scallops instead of the shrimp both times) and the food cooked perfectly. We had fun getting to talk with other people (both times we had a full table) for a change too. No food pics (why? Too busy eating it I guess!) but a couple table pics:

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

Cagneys - we ate here twice as well. The shrimp cocktail was really good, as was the iceberg wedge salad. Once we sat overlooking the Manhattan Dining Room where we could see (but barely hear) the band playing; the other we were right at the window. My only complaint was that each time DH ordered his steak Medium Rare and it came definitely Medium Rare. Both times I ordered mine (filets) Medium and it came somewhere between Medium Well and Well Done (meaning a very little tiny bit of pink in the very middle). The second time I actually sent it back (I think the second time in my life ever I've done that!) because I just feel at a steakhouse like that they should be able to cook a steak to the right level of doneness. Once they did (and nailed it that time), the steaks were really good too.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_8350.jpg

La Cucina - we'd booked this for the first night late evening after the Cirque show but I had a horrible headache that evening (more on that later) and had no problem changing it to another night. Neither of us are huge Italian fans but the food seemed fine here for what we got. Had a beautiful view on the opposite end of the ship for a change (this one restaurant is way forward as opposed to aft like most others it seemed) and got to watch a nice sunset as well. The service was really good here as well:

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

Much more to follow!

Can anyone tell me why they like the aft balconies? I like the port balconies so I can take pics of each port.

We like being in the very back where you can watch the wake and have a bit more privacy (of course this varies by ship) and a lot less wind and usually a full cover from sun. Also being in the back you rarely have anyone wandering by your cabin that doesn't belong there (no one talking loudly in the halls as they wait for the elevator or kids running around).

A couple more pics from La Cucina (mostly the view) and then ore restaurants!

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_8308.jpg

Le Bistro - we probably should have followed our hunch on this one and skipped it since neither of us really care for French food but we'd read so many good reviews about it that we figured we had to try it. Went for the Lobster (which is a $10 upcharge but included with the UDP) which was fine, but again, not a huge lobster fan but seems like something you just want to have on a cruise! Everything we had here was fine but the dessert was WOW! We really wanted to try the fondue but had heard good things about the Chocolate Napoleon so decided we had to try both.

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

Still more to come - too many pics!

Can anyone tell me why they like the aft balconies? I like the port balconies so I can take pics of each port.

We prefer the sweeping views from the aft but on the epic you get the best of both worlds. Right outside our door was another door that opened to a balcony with the port view you are looking for. There is another one on the starboard side. We were the only ones that we ever saw using this viewing area.

We prefer the sweeping views from the aft but on the epic you get the best of both worlds. Right outside our door was another door that opened to a balcony with the port view you are looking for. There is another one on the starboard side. We were the only ones that we ever saw using this viewing area.

On sea days I'm up at 6am and walk all of the halls on every deck. 5,800 steps, 2.7 miles and took me an hour. Anyway, in the corners of the hallway outside of the rear facing cabins there were doors with a large round window. I took a peek thru the window to see what was there. Is this the area you are talking about? If so, are we allowed to go out there? I don't recall anything on the door indicating that you couldn't go out there, I just assumed it was a restricted area and didn't try it. Just curious...

We are going on the Epic in April. First time on NCL, first time in an aft balcony, first time with an UBP (also not usually big drinkers), and first time with the UDP. Love your pictures and you are discussing everything I wanted to know about. Thank you so much for taking the time!

As a Patriots fan - your flag offends me. :p Yes 19 years later I am still bitter. Just imagine how I would react to a Giants flag. ;)

Otherwise your review is awesome!

A joke is a joke but You just won a super bowl so you have nothing to complain about. (What about Raider fan and the tuck rule ?)Ahh Boston fan we deal with them here in FL all the time they are the most anoying fan ever alot of them live here and show up at the Rays game with all there gear on. I bet you would have a hard time wearing other teams gear in Boston.

WOW!!! :eek::eek: Bet you thought the seas were rough as you wandered the halls. :D:D 1/2 glass of wine makes me cross eyed. And here I was stepping out by trying some expresso coffee. Glad you enjoyed the UBP.

I am sure you are the minority.;) I see most people having fun and a few drinks everyday unless there are medical issues or they are cheap when its not free.

Okay, going to try to at least finish up the specialty dining tonight, if not the regular dining as well (which isn't that much more).

Moderno - this was by far both of our favorite restaurant, and we ate there twice too. Incidentally, Moderno and Cagney's share much of the same entry/check-in desk area so they knew us here quite well by the 4th night there! While everyone plays up the steak/meat options at Moderno, I loved the salad bar and antipasto type options far more. The first night there I tried to do both (oh, and the cheese bread is incredible too!) but the second I didn't even try on the meats. They give you a little card (looks like a coaster) that you flip from red (when you don't want meat) to green (when you do). I never even flipped mine and just had my husband get me an extra filet (which they managed to cook to a nice medium level) piece when they came around for him, and I just concentrated on the salad bar options! Yes, I realize they love people like me who eat the asparagus and artichokes and different cheeses and salami and soups instead of the steak but really, I'd had steak almost everywhere else (Teppanyaki and Cagneys) and enjoyed the change. DH thought the sirloin was actually better than the filet here too and the chicken wings were also really tasty. Service was always good here, beautiful view, etc., etc. Strongly recommend - for sure we'd do this one even if we didn't do the UDP in the future.

IMG_8336.jpg

IMG_8384.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_8334.jpg

Okay, one last pic of the one restaurant we didn't make it to of the main Specialty ones - the Chinese one (Shanghai). DH isn't a big fan of Chinese and it just didn't seem worth passing up any of the other options (even a second time) for this, but I snapped a pic as we went by. We did talk about sometime just stopping in for the soup, lettuce wraps and fried rice but were never hungry enough after other meals when they were open.

IMG_0782.jpg

Coming up next - Taste, Room Service & O'Sheehans.

On sea days I'm up at 6am and walk all of the halls on every deck. 5,800 steps, 2.7 miles and took me an hour. Anyway, in the corners of the hallway outside of the rear facing cabins there were doors with a large round window. I took a peek thru the window to see what was there. Is this the area you are talking about? If so, are we allowed to go out there? I don't recall anything on the door indicating that you couldn't go out there, I just assumed it was a restricted area and didn't try it. Just curious...

Yes, it's an area open to anyone from about decks 8 to 13 maybe? Going lower there was a sign saying crew only and going up further you ended up in the spa - sometimes it was locked and sometimes not but you obviously weren't just supposed to go in there. But lots of people came and looked out there while in ports and there were lounge chairs and regular chairs around there on each of the decks - that's where we swapped our regular chairs for loungers but there were plenty of each so the area is obviously used a lot. Well, not a "lot" as we never saw anyone else there other than right when coming into ports but we used it to run up to Spice for drinks. :)

We are going on the Epic in April. First time on NCL, first time in an aft balcony, first time with an UBP (also not usually big drinkers), and first time with the UDP. Love your pictures and you are discussing everything I wanted to know about. Thank you so much for taking the time!

Glad you're enjoying it - so much more to say - I feel like the more I write the more I remember I have to say! Let me know if you have any specific questions that I don't cover though.

Not going to be many pics here since some I've already shared (ie trivia) and many of these shows didn't allow any photography but I'll try to give a brief summary at least!

Cirque: I ended up feeling really bad the first evening - maybe too much alcohol? But I'd had like 3 drinks right when we boarded but that was in the 11:30-12:30 range (and none after that) but once we got to Cirque at 6 I was dying. My head was pounding and I couldn't open my eyes. As you can imagine, Cirque didn't help. I also was unaware that we were supposed to get in line early - we got there about 5:45 for a 6pm show and many of the people were already halfway through their meal! Premium seats didn't mean anything at that point and we were put near the back of a long table on the main floor (we had no choice). But then the people near the front said their friends weren't coming and we could move there so we did and DH was right next to the stage. Worked well since he'd wanted to be somewhere where he could be part of the action - he was never called up on stage but several of the performers interacted with him (knife to his throat, handing him a rose, etc.). I was just holding my head and trying not to die and couldn't go back to the cabin because they'd taken our cards at the beginning (next time the first thing I'm doing is getting a spare cabin key since so many times I'd want to run back but the bartender, restaurant, etc. would have my card. Or I'd want to send DH to grab two drinks and get a seat while I ran back (they had no trouble doing this incidentally) but couldn’t since we'd both need a card. Anyway, we went right back to the cabin at like 7:45 and I promptly fell asleep for 12 hours. After that I was fine for the rest of the cruise (fortunately!). So I can't give a great assessment of Cirque but will say that DH loved it and thought that it was comparable to the one at Disney (yes, I realize they aren't affiliated) but in so much smaller and more intimate a venue which make it a lot more fun.

Howl at the Moon/Second City/Headliners: As I mentioned earlier, we never really seemed to have trouble getting decent seats here as long as we were reasonably early. We really enjoyed Howl at the Moon, but we have been to them in other locations. Loved Howl but do miss the small Carnival piano bar atmosphere - although we found some of the Howl performers (Matt, Steve and whoever the girl was whose name I never caught) did perform at Shakers (Martini Bar) and it was more that feel. Second City was good but it was disappointing to have to have booked in advance (based on time) and not know what the specific shows were. We saw one that was pure improv, which was good, but I would've really enjoyed seeing the Game Show one. We just never wanted to deal with the hassle of waiting in a standby line to see it again but were disappointed that once on the ship you couldn't book another one if you'd already attended one. I think they should make it once you've attended that you're able to book again (not book more than one at a time but if people haven't booked by then, too bad!). Would've also liked to see one of the adult shows but 11pm is just a bit past our bedtime (at least for a start time!). Oh, and at Howl, they had a rule that they weren't supposed to use, um, adult language before 11pm (although again, to be honest, I never once saw a kid in the audience). But the performers made it clear that although "they" couldn't, "we" could (and gave some suggestions for some alternate lyrics I hadn't heard before!). Also, I was a bit surprised that it wasn't just piano music - they also had a drum set, harmonica and violin for some variety! As far as Headliners, I will say we tried to go see the Love/Marriage show but just because we were passing by and at 8:25 you couldn’t get a seat for the 8:30 show. So we left (probably a good idea since we were seeing Legends shortly after anyway). So get there early if you want to see that one!

IMG_8356.jpg

Legends: We really enjoyed Legends but mostly loved Jimmy Buffet! (I don't know Adele's music at all and am not an Aretha fan). The review on this seem so mixed on which ones were the best and who sounded authentic but in any case it made for a fun show.

Hypnotist: We saw and enjoyed Nadeen once but missed the second because Cagneys ran too late. I was surprised DH didn't volunteer to be one of the people hypnotized. They really just asked for volunteers, and at least at the show we saw, everyone who wanted to was able to participate (they actually took a few of the chairs they'd set up off the stage). If you haven't seen a hypnotist before, definitely do it. If you have, it was pretty much the same thing.

Blue Man Group: We saw and enjoyed BMG but it's really not my thing - if I could watch it on TV and turn down the volume and not worry about being picked I would enjoy it much more. Honestly, if they'd tried to "volunteer" me I would have refused like someone did during our show! Do I sound old? ;) DH wanted to sit up front but I insisted we sit over on a side further back and it really didn't make a difference - they climbed all the way through the audience to recruit people. I've never seen them before - DH had twice (Chicago and Orlando) and thought it was just as good of a show on the ship.

Coming up tomorrow - ports! We're getting near the end if anyone is still reading!

Not going to be many pics here since some I've already shared (ie trivia) and many of these shows didn't allow any photography but I'll try to give a brief summary at least!

I also was unaware that we were supposed to get in line early - we got there about 5:45 for a 6pm show and many of the people were already halfway through their meal! Premium seats didn't mean anything at that point and we were put near the back of a long table on the main floor (we had no choice).

Coming up tomorrow - ports! We're getting near the end if anyone is still reading!

Thanks for the great review!! I am going on the Epic in May. I have a question on your comments about Cirque. I have reservations for the early show and dinner on the first day. Do we need to get in line early? What do you suggest?

Thanks

Kellie

Cirque: I also was unaware that we were supposed to get in line early - we got there about 5:45 for a 6pm show and many of the people were already halfway through their meal! Premium seats didn't mean anything at that point and we were put near the back of a long table on the main floor (we had no choice).

Thanks for the great review!! I am going on the Epic in May. I have a question on your comments about Cirque. I have reservations for the early show and dinner on the first day. Do we need to get in line early? What do you suggest?

Thanks

Kellie

Forgive me Marciemi, I don't mean to steal your thunder but I thought I'd jump in and answer Kellie's question. Anyway, we booked premium seats for the 6pm show, online in advance, for the first sea day and were told that the doors open 1/2 hour in advance, 5:30pm. We got there just before the doors opened and were surprised at the crowd waiting in line already. There were two lines, one for "standard" seating and one for "premium" seating. It seemed like everyone was attaching themselves to the "premium" line which ran all the way down along the wall with the big paintings on it. Only two couples were in the "standard" line. Odd.

The doors opened and we were given the choice of sitting downstairs which, we were told, "puts you in the action" or upstairs which "gives you a wide view of the show". We chose upstairs. Click here for a short video of what the view was like from above.... VIEW. Click here to see what the upstairs seating was like.... UPSTAIRS SEATING. The "standard" seating was way off to the right in the video under the overhang. I suspect they couldn't see the aerial portions of the show. Drinks and appetizers came out before the show started. Dinner and dessert came out during the show. No choice for the meal which was shrimp and filet. I'm not much for shrimp so Kathy ended up with mine. In hindsight, I probably should have asked for an all turf meal to see what would have happened.

Marciemi, I'm enjoying the review, keep it coming....

Joe - no problem at all and glad you could answer as mine would have been along the lines of "well, 5:45 was too late". :o I just figured 6:00 meant they'd start letting people in then and 15 minutes was more than early enough. I did notice later in the week people lined up a good hour in advance but that was for the later show.

Ports - Jamaica

Cool Blue Hole was a blast but it's no longer a secret. Lots of review I'd read were like "oh there were only 16 people there the whole day". It wasn't as bad as Dunn's but the word's definitely out. We joined some folks from our Roll Call on a private tour they'd arranged through Liberty Tours so ended up paying only $30 per person for this. Wish it had been a bit warmer (or sunnier at least) but it was a fun time. Our guides did a great job and it was fun to do the swings and the jumps, although one was quite high and I had some bruises on my arms the next day just from hitting the water! You could do as much or little as you wanted though - we had one person in our group who never got in the water at all, kids who just did the little jumps, and some folks who did everything. It's at least a half hour ride from the port (once you finally get out of the controlled area and met up with your tour which took awhile) through the boonies of Jamaica (and lots of opportunities to buy "special" brownies!). After the swim portion (which was probably an hour at most), we were taken to a little shopping "mall" - think a large souvenir store then to Scotchies for lunch (where we could purchase what we wanted on our own). Probably got back to the ship area around 1. I'd recommend the tour but would try to find others to share it with - we were quoted $150 for the two of us and only got the cheaper rate by joining an already established group. Some pics (sorry, our underwater camera was not being cooperative that day - videos came out great but the pics were nearly all blurry):

100_1268.jpg

100_1236.jpg

100_1243.jpg

100_1245.jpg

100_1254.jpg

100_1221.jpg

In Grand Cayman we signed up beforehand using the NCL iConcierge app on the ship for tender tickets, but I really don't think it mattered. We were on the 8am tender but went over about 7:45 and they just asked if we had tickets (didn't scan our cards like at most shows) and waved us down. They loaded two tenders at once (first two I'm certain) and we were among the very first in port. We first went and found a coffee shop with wifi and caught up for a half hour on emails, checked on our kids, etc. Then we came back to the ship area and took a $4 cab ride (each) to Royal Palms and it was just like the private island days at say Half Moon Cay (Carnival's Private Island). $2 to get in and $8 for a chair but beautiful blue water, a restaurant, pool, showers, etc. TONS of cruise people (mostly Carnival) there so get there early but I'd definitely go back. For sure our best day. We had brought our high-quality $3 inflatable rafts from Walmart and spent a couple minutes blowing them up and most of the day just drifting around on them. The pool was adults only, which made it even nicer, and they had a band playing there (well, maybe more a DJ playing music) by early afternoon. We ate pizza and soda at the restaurant there for about $20 total which was just enough to tide us over until back on the ship.

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

100_1290.jpg

100_1292.jpg

100_1296.jpg

100_1298.jpg

Cozumel - okay, this one was our mistake. We really should have planned something. We were planning on going to Pleasure Beach (DH had been there with my oldest son & his GF in 2010) and we should have. But we arrived late (first people didn't get off the ship until after 11 instead of 10 and we didn't feel like standing in line so we just went back to our balcony and waited) so it was almost 12 when we got off and it was windy and didn't seem worth it. Well, we walked to Margaritaville which was just ridiculous. Crazy prices, music so loud anywhere you couldn't talk even to order. We were just going to do the swim stuff there but they wanted $20 to "watch your stuff" in addition to having bought overpriced food so we just left. The town really has nothing exciting. Bought one shot glass, some meds at a pharmacy, and just went back to the ship and got food and hung at the pool without crowds. In the future I'll add Cozumel to ports like Nassau where you should either have something planned or not get off the ship.

We were really disappointed in the lack of wifi in all the ports. Everyone "claimed" they had it but it usually meant a spinning circle and not much else. Strangely, we were actually able to get FB messages on the ship with our old phones on wifi - you couldn't go to FB but could read them on your home screen which was nice. But both Margaritaville's we went to the wifi just didn't work. Same with Royal Palms. You might get something through but nothing regular. Seriously, I remember all the internet cafes in ports a decade ago and it was easier to get a connection/pay to use a computer (like $5) than anything we found this trip.

On the internet note, as mentioned, we did use the iConcierge app on the ship just to look at activities and occasionally sign up for stuff. One frustrating thing was that everything you'd booked before boarding didn't show up on the TV or the app, and none of them seemed to talk to each other. Other than knowing on all not to let you book another show. But I could've booked multiple restaurants at the same time since when I did it on the TV it didn't show on my phone and nothing I'd booked beforehand showed in either place.

I'll wrap this up by saying we had such a good time that we did purchase the "Pay $150 and get $250 in credit" option for a future cruise. And today I booked that cruise! Going on the Getaway next January with me and DH, but also our youngest son and his girlfriend since the "3rd/4th passengers sail free" was honestly the case for the cruise we were looking at. Going to be awfully crowded in that cabin but we just couldn't pass it up, especially with the free UBP again for me & DH!

Wanted to share some last pics of the one formal pic we bought and the cool frame we got for it on the ship - I think the frame was only like $14.95. Looks really heavy but it's actually plastic and fairly light. Really cool and wish I'd bought a second one for my son who will be a submarine officer in the Navy in a few months.

Formal0001.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

And I guess that's all! More than willing to answer any questions people have and looking forward to doing it again next year!

In Grand Cayman.... We first went and found a coffee shop with wifi and caught up for a half hour on emails, checked on our kids, etc.....

We were really disappointed in the lack of wifi in all the ports. Everyone "claimed" they had it but it usually meant a spinning circle and not much else.....

Our Grand Cayman story.... we had booked a Capt. Marvin excursion out to Stingray City but Kathy wasn't feeling up to being on a boat for 3 hours so we didn't go. I gave our seats to a couple I met on the gangway. Anyway, after getting things squared away at Capt. Marvin's, I went off to the coffee shop, bought a cup of coffee, got the password, logged in, and checked some messages. Probably a dozen people there doing the same thing. The next couple hours was spent browsing at watches. Here's the funny part, before heading back to the ship I stopped by the coffee shop and was amazed at the crowd! You couldn't get near the place with all of the crew sitting around AND I couldn't get connected either.

Cozumel.... We booked Nachi Cocum. Really beautiful weather but only got our big toes in the water.... much to cold for us. Your pictures make me shiver just thinking about it....

I mentioned how Kathy wasn't feeling up to the excursion in Grand Cayman. In spite of the generally beautiful weather, Kathy was cold all week especially aboard ship. The breeze was cool. You mentioned earlier in your review about having trouble regulating the temperature in the cabin. We had the same problem. It would be comfortable and the next thing you knew, it would be cold. A couple times I even saw her sleeping with her coat on. Missed the photo op....

Thanks for the review. Enjoy that Getaway cruise next January. I'm assuming you booked an aft cabin to get the 3rd/4th free. Life with four in a cabin should make for an interesting review. Looking forward to reading it.....

I'm really behind in editing my pictures and putting them onto a webpage but I did get some ship images and videos uploaded to flickr. FWIW, here is a link... NCL Epic Cruise.

Edited by PorkChopKid