Needlework in German towns

cactuslady

Does anyone have information on where to buy needlework supplies in river cruise ports? Not ready-made, but yarns, threads, fabrics, and kits for the hobbyist. Having subscribed to ANNA magazine for a few decades now, I know that Germans and other Europeans are particularly enthusiastic about their handicrafts, and there are lots of quality designs, kits and supplies that are not available in the U.S. I'd like to bring back a suitcase full from my first trip to Germany.

Being no expert at all for the question of needlework, I can give you just a general information. Almost every city has shops for "Handarbeiten" or "Handarbeitsbedarf". These shops are generally small and not in the top locations but often in smaller streets. Most often they are run by the owner and quite nice.

Some articles might also be available in souvenir shops at main tourist villages but probably expensive. Major department stores carry some supply, too.

Where exactly are you going? Maybe somebody can provide some further information knowing which ports you are interested in.

We haven't booked yet, but are looking at a September 2006 cruise from Mainz to Passau or thereabouts. We may stay in Munich for a couple of days, and (although it's off the tourist track) may try to visit Stuttgart to see where I was born.

What a wonderful idea. I'm mostly a knitter, though I've done some counted cross stitch also (in the past, but should get back to it). I'd love some shop suggestions also. We'll be in Munich a few nights, then Passau to Budapest and back, then a couple of nights in Salzburg.

S

cactuslady and jgnova,

I bet your best chances to find something will be in Munich (or Stuttgart). Small specialty stores are hard to find exspecially in small towns if you only have limited shore time (and don´t know where the shops are located). All large department stores (Karstadt, Kaufhof, Hertie) have a crafts departement (Kurzwaren/Handarbeiten) more or less big. In Munich my first try would be Hertie at the main train station (Hertie am Hauptbahnhof). Hertie has quite a big crafts department. Kaufhof has two locations downtown (Marienplatz and Karlsplatz/Stachus). At Karstadt currently the crafts department is located in the Oberpollinger am Dom house (next to Karlsplatz/Stachus on the left side in the pedestrian zone when you walk to Marienplatz). I don´t know any small specialty stores but I can find out about those. I guess my mom can help me with that (she´s a bobbin lace maker). Unfortunately we don´t have big stores like Hobbylobby.

We just returned from two cruises and a crew member borrowed my 5 year old daughter a knitting ring (Knifty Knitters). To my big surprise she stuck on that (she never stuck on any crafts thing more than 5 minutes). Unfortunately those are obviously not available in Germany. We have to wait til next summer when we´ll be back in the U.S. again.

steamboats

Steamboats --

Vielen Dank! The detailed information is great! Now I can plan to stock up quickly and efficiently. (Of course, I'll still be wandering around the small towns, looking at the shops. ;) )

P.S. -- I took some bobbin lace classes quite a long time ago, which I enjoyed very much. I keep thinking I'll pick it up again . . .

cactuslady,

sure you should check the smaller towns too :) ! I just talked to my Mom and she told me about two specialty stores in downtown Munich.

Maria Kolmsberger (owned by Rolf Zoller), Oberanger 9 (streetname) in the ORAG-building (you´ll see the ORAG sign), directions: from Marienplatz follow the street next to Kaufhof to Rindermarkt follow the street downhill (on the left there´s the Stadtmuseum / city museum, on the right there´s a clothing store called Konen) and you will see the ORAG building. That´ll be her first choice for needlework.

The other store belongs to Ludwig Beck am Rathauseck. Directions: from Marienplatz (facing the new townhall) you´ll find Ludwig Beck on the right side of the townhall. Pass by until you reach a small street to your left called Burgstrasse. Follow Burgstrasse til the next street on the left. The store is right at the corner.

My mother told me that Kaufhof discontinued nearly all of it´s crafts articles. So there´s only Karstadt and Hertie am Bahnhof left. My first choice would be Hertie as I told you before.

It´s all downtown Munich and all walkable.

steamboats

cactuslady,

You´re welcome! If you need any other information about Munich feel free to contact me via the websites listed in my signature.

Have a look on the website of Munich

http://www.muenchen.de/Tourismus/6942/index.html

Depending on how long you stay in Munich the Welcome Card might be interesting for you. It gives you free rides on all public transportation (bus, tram, subway, suburban trains) for three days and reduced admissions to attractions. If you don´t need the reduced admissions the Munich public transportation system offers various day tickets (partner day ticket is valid for up to 5 adults) and it´s only EUR 8 for the inner district (which is the whole city of Munich, you´ll only need the outer district if you want to go f.e. to Starnberg and the Starnberger See. If you want to ride a boat there is also a combo ticket including the boat ride and the public transport). There´s also a 3 day partner ticket.

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/home/fahrgastinformation/tickets-preise/tickets/dayAeticket/index.html

For a boat ride on one of the two lakes (Starnberger See and Ammersee) which can be reached by public transportation check this website:

http://www.seenschifffahrt.de/start_e/index_e.html

Sightseeing busses start next to the central/main train station. There´s also a sightseeing tour by tram starting at Sendlingertor Platz on weekends and holidays (on the hour starting at 11 am). Unfortunately I can´t find any information on the internet right now.

The public transportation in Munich is excellent and safe and a good way to explore the city (if they are not on strike like tomorrow :mad: ! Gladly I can also take the suburban train to work and walk a little, but it´s just tomorrow).

steamboats

Oh boy! I'll be able to use all your information. We are in the process of booking a Mainz to Passau trip for Sept-Oct. 2006, starting with 2 nights in a castle and ending with 2 nights in Munich for Oktoberfest. On the Peter Deilmann Casanova.

We're doing the Danube Christmasmarket from Nurnburg to Vienna 5 December with stops in Regensburg, Passau, Aschach and then 3 nights in Vienna. My wife is in the Embroiderers Guild of America and would be interested in any info about places to go in those cities/towns.

She found some places in Norway to get hardanger when we were there in May and would like to get some things in Germany. Thanks for any info.

From Steamboats: We just returned from two cruises and a crew member borrowed my 5 year old daughter a knitting ring (Knifty Knitters). To my big surprise she stuck on that (she never stuck on any crafts thing more than 5 minutes). Unfortunately those are obviously not available in Germany. We have to wait til next summer when we´ll be back in the U.S. again.

Steamboats:

If you want one sooner than next summer, wouldn't it work if someone (like me) mailed it to you? Will it get through your customs without too much tax on it? I think I've seen those in our local craft store. Let me know -- I'll be glad to look for it. I know a 5 year old's interest can wane easily/quickly, so it might be good to reinforce it as soon as possible.

I really appreciate the tips on craft shops in Munich -- we'll have 3 nights there pre-cruise so I'm putting that on our list of shops to visit. Mostly we're not doing shopping, of course, but there's got to be a little time for it! Not sure what souvenirs there are for folks here -- on the Passau to Budapest and back route.

S

Cactuslady,

Make your hotel reservation for Munich right now if you´ll plan to be here for the Oktoberfest in 2006! By the way the Oktoberfest 2005 will start today at noon (until Oct 3). Although it´s called Oktoberfest it starts in September lasting til the first weekend in October.

Here´s the official website of the city of Munich:

http://www.muenchen.de/Tourismus/Oktoberfest/7548/index.html

Jgnova,

Thanks for offering to send a Knifty Knitter set!! I just did some research. It´s not available in Germany and all online stores don´t send internationally. The only one that does claims a fixed postage of $29.95 for orders up to $50 and that´s a bit too much for an order of $19.95 (and then I have to pay toll fees too). Fortunately we have a lot of friends in the U.S. and I´m sure they´ll be happy to send a set. But before I ask them I tried to find out if I can get it here or online. But again thank you for your offer!

By the way, I talked to my mother yesterday and she highly recommends Maria Kolmsberger.

And if any of you is in need of more informations about Munich, feel free to contact me (also by email via one of the two websites listed in my signature, you can use the webmaster address). After 27 years living in Munich I guess I know my way round :) .

steamboats

I just found a link to the city tours by tram:

http://www.mvg-mobil.de/muenchentram.htm

organized by

http://www.spurwechsel-muenchen.de/de/index.html

They are available May - Oct starting at Sendlinger Tor on weekends and holidays at 11 am, noon, 1 pm and 2 pm (EUR 7 per adult). Unfortunately those city tours are in German only. The organizer Spurwechsel is offering English guided tram tours but for groups only. Spurwechsel is also doing other guided city tours.

steamboats

Archived