Solo Cruiser...Studio??

macdon221

Good Day All,

New to NCL. Have sailed with other cruise lines...but never alone.

Thinking of booking a studio room on the epic in March.

Anyone have any comments, good or bad about the rooms, solo cruiseing with NCL etc.

Cheers

Macdon221

I stayed in an Epic Studio in 2013 and will be staying in one again in May this year. I was afraid the cabin would be too small for me since I'm claustrophobic, but I really liked the space. My sister and I usually share an inside where each bed is pretty small and the bed in the Studio was larger and much more comfortable - lots of pillows, too. It's a small space but laid out r very well with decent storage.

We didn't participate in any of the Studio group activities but they offered quite a few. They had a singles hour every evening (open to non-Studio passengers, too) encouraging people to mingle. They planned a number of group dinners as a way for people to meet; you just had to sign up each day. If you want to meet other Solos; I'd recommend booking a Studio cabin.

I've done the Studios twice on Epic, and loved it both times. As mentioned, the layout is really well done, and it doesn't feel cramped at all. (A couple of friends had an inside on my last Epic cruise, and it felt more cramped than my studio, even though it technically had more space.)

The continental breakfast in the studio Lounge is great. For days when you just need to grab something quickly and get out, there's no need to go to the buffet. It was one of my favorite perks of the Studios, honestly.

The solo cruise experience on Epic is good; there's an hour for social time every evening, and the Solos Coordinator generally had a board for people to sign up to get dinner as a group if they want. During the solo social hour, the bar in the Lounge is actually staffed, which is also convenient. :D

I did a studio on the Breakaway last year for a 2 day CTN. I really enjoyed it. I, too, was concerned about the small space, but it is quite well designed and I found it very comfortable. Plus, with access to the studio lounge, I did not spend a whole lot of time in my room. I found that people really did hang out in the lounge, and I got to know many of the other studio dwellers, and always found someone to eat with or go to shows with if I wanted to. I think it's a great way to travel when going solo and would highly recommend.

On my cruises, the social hour varied. A fair number of people would pop in, chat a while, maybe have a drink, then leave, either for dinner or to get a shower before dinner. I usually liked to make time to stop in at least for a while. (Of course, I had a cabin right next to the Lounge, so even when I forgot, I'd end up going past it in the Lounge to get to my cabin.) It was sort of fun to compare stories on what people had done for the day, especially for port days. Not every single person who was in a Studio cabin was there, but it was typically a decent gathering.

so glad to find this information. I just booked one of these for April. I also have a tendency to get claustrophobic so was happy to hear that they are not that cramped. Looking forward to it.

I was super scared that I would feel closed in and have a panic attack when I booked my studio on the Epic, but I absolutely LOVED it! The solo gathering each night was fun ( at the beginning of the week we probably had almost 50 people, by the end around 25) they had the bar open and had activities planned... my only complaint is that it was scheduled at 5pm each night, so you had to either miss it, or miss sail aways... I would highly recommend it!