Please recommend tour company for Anan Creek Bear viewing in Ketchikan?

ttulipss

So bummed, we missed the lottery for Anan Creek. Well, they had the lottery and the company we were hoping to book through didn't "win" the lottery for our date and she said that was the last one. :(

Do a further search and find another vendor with permits?

We were wondering last night if other vendors do get in the lottery without a potential booking...I may just have to start calling today. ::hopefully still hopeful?!?::

If you want to go, then contact every single vendor in Ketchikan.

• 3 weeks later...

My sister's friend went on a waiting list for Anan Creek Bear Viewing with one of the companies (not sure which one)

in case someone cancelled & had good luck with that.

It might be worth a try ..... nothing to lose!

• 1 month later...

Apparently not all of the total of 60 (or 65) daily permits where given away in the Lottery. Looking at the "recreation.gov" site I learned permits where available online starting May 1st 12:00 pm.

That I found out in the evening of April 30th :D...

We'll be in Ketchikan on August 3rd (06:00-14:30) on the Grand Princess cruise out of Vancouver and we do have four permits for that day now. Now all we need is a plane and a few people to share the flight/cost with. See the Grand princess August 1st Roll call.

I'll be busy contacting the "airlines"... I understand there is mostly 5 or even 6 passenger seats on the planes - anyone with add'l permits to join ?

Apparently not all of the total of 60 (or 65) daily permits where given away in the Lottery. Looking at the "recreation.gov" site I learned permits where available online starting May 1st 12:00 pm.

That I found out in the evening of April 30th :D...

We'll be in Ketchikan on August 3rd (06:00-14:30) on the Grand Princess cruise out of Vancouver and we do have four permits for that day now. Now all we need is a plane and a few people to share the flight/cost with. See the Grand princess August 1st Roll call.

I'll be busy contacting the "airlines"... I understand there is mostly 5 or even 6 passenger seats on the planes - anyone with add'l permits to join ?

Many take 7 passengers. Did you have any idea the cost of contracting a flight? You may be surprised. :) I've done so, my preference.

You need to get the whole cost figured out, then post on every ship that can line up with your time.

• Like 1

I'm new to cruising and new to Alaska, so please don't laugh that I've not booked any of this yet! Trying to work on booking excursions now. We will be in Ketchikan on July 9 for 8 hours. I think I read that peak bear time was mid to late July. Is this too early to splurge on an Anan trip? I know, they are probably all full- thought I'd ask if it's even something I should splurge on at that date before I put in queries to the companies.

Thanks!

I'm new to cruising and new to Alaska, so please don't laugh that I've not booked any of this yet! Trying to work on booking excursions now. We will be in Ketchikan on July 9 for 8 hours. I think I read that peak bear time was mid to late July. Is this too early to splurge on an Anan trip? I know, they are probably all full- thought I'd ask if it's even something I should splurge on at that date before I put in queries to the companies.

Thanks!

July 9 is considered peak. I suggest you contact every possible vendor, if they have any permits- now.

Seemingly out of luck: Got sold out replies from Family, Carlin and from Island Wings. Still waiting for responses from Southeast Aviation and Taquan (am I right thinking those two have more than one or two planes like I believe the "sold out" ones do ?). Anyone knows of an operator I missed to contact (Budget Queen you seem to know more than most of us)? I would hate to miss the tour (and cancel the six permits I have for the 3rd of August).

Seemingly out of luck: Got sold out replies from Family, Carlin and from Island Wings. Still waiting for responses from Southeast Aviation and Taquan (am I right thinking those two have more than one or two planes like I believe the "sold out" ones do ?). Anyone knows of an operator I missed to contact (Budget Queen you seem to know more than most of us)? I would hate to miss the tour (and cancel the six permits I have for the 3rd of August).

You are looking for transportation only with a contracted flight? Are you being flexible with the time when you request this? Taquan has the most planes so you may find availability there, another multiplane vendor is ProMech. Call them, don't bother with emails.

Have you researched other ships in port? Once you get the price, further decisions are going to be, with you putting down a deposit on that plane (they aren't going to hold anything for you without it, AND verify cancellation fees and dates), Once that is found- every day- place those posts on all the roll calls that will fit the schedule- with the price and details. You don't have time to waste without having ALL this set up prior.