Getaway Dinner options and sampling

packetloss

Hi everyone, we will be on the getaway and will be our first cruise and very much so excited. We are used to the all inclusive resort style dining and typically travel 2-3 times a year. This time we wanted to try something a little different and booked a cruise :)

In the sit down dinner restaurants on the Getaway, how does ordering work? Is it like a typical sit down restaurant with a server etc? We really like to try new things and sample various different foods and explore our taste buds and was wondering if there are any restrictions when ordering, if I wanted to order more than 1 option maybe a small portion to sample or try? Will they serve this type of request or do they have specific guidelines when dinning or limitations?

thanks to all those who reply

I haven't been on Norwegian for years however I have cruised many times(I do have a cruise booked for the escape in 2016). On cruises you will sit down and have a server. You can order more than one entree, a soup, salad, appetizer, dessert, basically whatever your heart desires. I believe Norwegian no longer has a lobster night in the no fee dining rooms but on all of my past cruises (carnival, msc, rccl, prior to freestyle Norwegian) people would order both lobster and prime rib even though they were listed as two separate entrees. They would serve the, on one plate. I have never encountered bad service on my numerous cruises and typically the wait staff is happy to oblige with any requests. I always like to order two appetizers since often you will find several that sound good. Those are great because they are small portions and it does give you that small tapas style feel.

I think you will really enjoy your cruise. Sit back and order as much or as little as you like.

I haven't been on Norwegian for years however I have cruised many times(I do have a cruise booked for the escape in 2016). On cruises you will sit down and have a server. You can order more than one entree, a soup, salad, appetizer, dessert, basically whatever your heart desires. I believe Norwegian no longer has a lobster night in the no fee dining rooms but on all of my past cruises (carnival, msc, rccl, prior to freestyle Norwegian) people would order both lobster and prime rib even though they were listed as two separate entrees. They would serve the, on one plate. I have never encountered bad service on my numerous cruises and typically the wait staff is happy to oblige with any requests. I always like to order two appetizers since often you will find several that sound good. Those are great because they are small portions and it does give you that small tapas style feel.

I think you will really enjoy your cruise. Sit back and order as much or as little as you like.

This is true in the "free" restaurants, but in the specialty restaurants there is a surcharge for extra entrees. And of course the buffet is self serve.

With rare exception, the staff serving in the restaurants are very nice and very helpful (like all of us occasionally, one might be having a bad day). The MDRs do operate at a "relaxed" pace usually with the servers being pretty busy during the peak dining hours. However, just tell your server what you are trying to do (sample several different selections) and they will try to fix you up. The only problem in the MDR is that its kitchen operates much like banquet hall dining, volume of the same meals being prepared identically. So getting a personal serving of just one thing might take a while, it having to be specifically prepared. Or just order as much of all that you want initially. Your server won't mind at all.