Is the beach road open?

deadmoney

We have been to cozumel a couple of times and the last time a few years ago the beach road was overgrown at one point and impassible.

We are thinking of renting a car again but do not want to if the whole island is not accessible.

Thank you

We have been to cozumel a couple of times and the last time a few years ago the beach road was overgrown at one point and impassible.

We are thinking of renting a car again but do not want to if the whole island is not accessible.

Thank you

Not sure which part of the beach road you are talking about. Was this after the hurricane damage?

If you are talking about can you just do a complete circle of the island, taking the transversal across to Mezcalitos, along east coast to Rastas and back via southern beach clubs - the answer is yes.

Some of the spurs off this road are not passable.

Also the actual coast road along east side is now for bikes only and you have to take the inner road in a car. Again the actual coast road going south past Money Bar is one-way only, not sure how far this is enforced.

However, as I said the "main" highway round the island will take you all the way round and you can cross the coast road to access individual beaches or clubs.

Edited by c-leg5

Thanks for the reply

Yes, this was after the hurricane damage.

We had been before and there was a very scenic road that ran along the beach but after the hurricane damage it seemed like they let it get overgrown and it was impassible in a car.

I looked on google earth and it looks like it's open.

are you saying the road that runs along the east side beach is for bikes only?

Perhaps the spur roads you are referencing are what I'm getting at.

Again, thanks

Thanks for the reply

Yes, this was after the hurricane damage.

We had been before and there was a very scenic road that ran along the beach but after the hurricane damage it seemed like they let it get overgrown and it was impassible in a car.

I looked on google earth and it looks like it's open.

are you saying the road that runs along the east side beach is for bikes only?

Perhaps the spur roads you are referencing are what I'm getting at.

Again, thanks

Looking at Google street view Melgar going south is an improved highway. Inside road along coast is more for access and last time we were there the first part at least was one-way south.

Following road south and round island you will see highway with yellow lines up the middle and Rasta's and Paradise off to the right on old road. If you follow on a little further round the bend you will see clearly where there is like a divided highway. The right hand side is labeled for cyclists and the left, 2-lane highway for cars. The two roads travel adjacent for the most part. In fact on street view you will see a jeep and motor cycle on the cyclist road - not sure what is legally allowed but I do know I have seen several police cars patrolling and the taxi has not taken us on that road the last few times. I understand, but you do get a slightly more obstructed view now than in the past.

The spurs I referred to are mainly to the north and are dead ends anyway.

Looking at Google street view Melgar going south is an improved highway. Inside road along coast is more for access and last time we were there the first part at least was one-way south.

Following road south and round island you will see highway with yellow lines up the middle and Rasta's and Paradise off to the right on old road. If you follow on a little further round the bend you will see clearly where there is like a divided highway. The right hand side is labeled for cyclists and the left, 2-lane highway for cars. The two roads travel adjacent for the most part. In fact on street view you will see a jeep and motor cycle on the cyclist road - not sure what is legally allowed but I do know I have seen several police cars patrolling and the taxi has not taken us on that road the last few times. I understand, but you do get a slightly more obstructed view now than in the past.

The spurs I referred to are mainly to the north and are dead ends anyway.

yes, right hand road is for cyclist only, if you are driving a car or motocycle and the police see you on that bike only road, you will get a $100 ticket and will have to go to the municipal office to pay the fine before you return the car rental