Deposit non-refundable?

Viva_la_Vida

Hi All,

I saw a thread about this from 2013, but am looking for more recent experiences.

I am a newbie to cruising, but I try to really educate myself by reading this wonderful board. Everything I had read on here and on previous cruise invoices indicated that any payments made, including deposits, up to final payment date were refundable. With that in mind, I booked a cruise to Bermuda with an actual sail date while on board my last cruise. I called today to change it it (still more than a month from final payment due) and was told my perks would not all transfer. That was what I expected, so I opted to cancel. I was then told my deposit could not be refunded at all. I should say that all communication to Celebrity was done through my TA. The TA said that the hang up was because I had booked a "Cruise Now" as opposed to a "Cruise Later". The latter can be refunded, but the former cannot be refunded, only transferred to another X or RC cruise with perks lost. I was after an hour, finally promised a refund. I want to avoid this situation in the future as it was quite a headache.

I am wondering about refunds of deposits on trips booked on board Celebrity ships. Specifically, are there any cases where the deposits are non-refundable? Can anyone clarify the "cruise now" vs "cruise later" difference in regards to deposits?

I really don't want to make the same mistake twice, if indeed this was my mistake. :)

THANK YOU!

Hi All,

I saw a thread about this from 2013, but am looking for more recent experiences.

I am a newbie to cruising, but I try to really educate myself by reading this wonderful board. Everything I had read on here and on previous cruise invoices indicated that any payments made, including deposits, up to final payment date were refundable. With that in mind, I booked a cruise to Bermuda with an actual sail date while on board my last cruise. I called today to change it it (still more than a month from final payment due) and was told my perks would not all transfer. That was what I expected, so I opted to cancel. I was then told my deposit could not be refunded at all. I should say that all communication to Celebrity was done through my TA. The TA said that the hang up was because I had booked a "Cruise Now" as opposed to a "Cruise Later". The latter can be refunded, but the former cannot be refunded, only transferred to another X or RC cruise with perks lost. I was after an hour, finally promised a refund. I want to avoid this situation in the future as it was quite a headache.

I am wondering about refunds of deposits on trips booked on board Celebrity ships. Specifically, are there any cases where the deposits are non-refundable? Can anyone clarify the "cruise now" vs "cruise later" difference in regards to deposits?

I really don't want to make the same mistake twice, if indeed this was my mistake. :)

THANK YOU!

Did you get an OBC (on board credit) on your current cruise when you booked this new cruise? That would make your deposit non-refundable.

No, I didn't get obc from that booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like your TA may have simply been incorrect - or perhaps it's a case of Celebrity customer service being wrong or mis-informed.

Here is the info directly from the Celebrity website:

Cruise Now

Choose your stateroom at time of booking. A $100 deposit per person is required to enroll in the Program; an additional deposit will be required at time of booking for suite categories. Deposit may be cancelled or changed up to 90 days prior to Holiday sailings and 75 days for all other sailings. These reservations may be changed or cancelled up to that time - primarily to US and Canadian guests, not all countries follow this refund/cancellation policy. As we value our relationships with our travel partners, unless we are advised otherwise your Cruise Now booking will be attributed to the travel partner associated with your current cruise booking.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan-and-book/before-you-go-future-cruises?tab=before_you_go_future_cruises/plan-and-book/before-you-go-future-cruises%3Fsubtab%3Dtrue