Rent scooter?

Cruisingal22

I am planning Stingray City & snorkeling for myself, DH and another couple. However, the rest of our group (3 couples) are planning on renting scooters.

While I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer" here, I am concerned for my friends who want to do this. I've never been to Grand Cayman but a friend of mine that has mentioned how bad the traffic can be. Most of these folks wanting to rent these scooters are not experienced riders. Although I am an experienced motorcycle rider myself, I don't think I'd be comfortable doing this.

Am I being a nervous Nellie? Or should there be concern here?

quick reply is DON'T ... and you are right!

the organization I worked for had a bunch of ships visiting many Carb' islands every month and we/they finally banned the crews from renting 2 wheel motor vehicles in the islands. Why? Too many folks ending up in the hospital, or worse . . . curious thing: our "experienced bikers" had a higher percentage of problems . . . .

Problems/issues:

- driving on the left ... couple a beer or two and driving on the left and you have a BIGGER issue

- cruise folks who FORGET you are driving on the left, and then step out in front of you

- SAND ... ever been on a bike and put your foot down and discovered sand on the surface ... you'll WISH for ice, it is less slippery. Most experienced bikers have little experience with sand which also impacts turns and braking. OH, did I forget to mention that in the islands virtually all the roads have a light coating of sand.

Rent a JEEP

If your inexperienced rider friends really want to rent a scooter then give them this address:

Cayman Islands Hospital

95 Hospital Road

George Town

They take cash or credit card, but don't accept assignment of benefits from an overseas insurance provider!