24 hour Stockholm Card?

If one buys the 24 hour Stockholm via the internet iin advance and has it in hand, can one then just get on the train in Nynashamn without any stops at the ticket station in Nynashamn?

Hyaull, There have been several earlier posters on this board that confirm that the 24 hour Stockholm card does indeed cover the train costs from Nynashamn to Stockholm. We've bought our card online - so we're ready to go.

Yes, the 24 hour Stockholm card will cover the train from Nynäshamn.

Here are the alternatives:

To pay for the train you can either pay on board (more expensive) or buy a prepaid coupon block. A one-way ticket to Stockholm costs 5 coupons, so buy a 10 coupon block and it will take you there and back. This block costs SEK 80.-.

Or better still; buy a 24-hour Stockholm transport card. This will take you not only to Stockholm but also on buses, underground and local trains within Stockholm for 24 hours. The cost is SEK 95.-. Children under 18 and seniors over 65 pay only SEK 55.- (photo ID necessary).

The coupons and the transport card should be available at the station before you board the train.

A third alternative is to buy the 24-hour Stockholm Card (not to be confused with the above transport card). Both cards give the same transport benefits, but the Stockholm Card will also include entrance to museums, and some boat sightseeing. This card can only be bought at certain transport centres and tourist shops. It can also be bought online. The cost for this card is SEK 260.-, children age 7-17 pay 100.-.

Here is the link to this card: [url="http://www.stockholmtown.com/templates/TwoColumnSPListing.aspx?id=6456&rpi=366"]Stockholm Card[/url]. The link to use to reach the local transport company in Stockholm is [url="http://www.sl.se/english/"]SL[/url]. Here you can sheck departure times for the trains.

jasm8449, Nynäshamn is not the airport. It is a port south of Stockholm where some cruise ships dock. Princess is an example. The train from Nynäshamn to get to Stockholm takes an hour.

Is there any benefit to ordering the Stockholm card online to be sent to home in USA?

We will arrive aboard Constellation July 2 and will remain until July 6.

Can we get it at the dock or nearest tourist place just as easily as getting it ahead of time?

love
joan

Thanks for that great info north-bound. I think we are leaning towards going on our own in Stockholm rather than a princess tour.
How far is the train station in Nynäshamn from the dock? Also, how often do trains go to/from Stockholm from Nynäshamn?
Thanks again for the info.

Anne
Millenium 1/26/03
Grand Princess 7 Aug 2004

These are the directions I have copied from posts & reviews:

As soon as the tender drops you off the dock, either take a little bit of time & go to the small information shack next to the docking spot for some info, or walk right away toward the train station. Walk toward your left with your back facing the sea. Walk along the coast and you should pass some rail. If you pass a big Ferry Terminal (I think Ferry to Tallinn), you are on the right track. It will take you about 15 minutes walk. You should see a small church on top of the hill on the right when you reach the train station. The train station is called Nynashamn Train Station (there is another small train station, which you should not use).

The train takes about 1 hr. Nynashamn to Stockholm. See journey planner at Stockholm transport in English for train schedule: [url="http://www.sl.se/english/"]http://www.sl.se/english/[/url]

When you arrive at Stockholm Central Station – bus # 47 stops just outside the Central Station where you arrive from Nynäshamn, and is the bus that will take you to the Vasa Museum and the Nordic Museum. Also one or two bus stops further on is the Skansen outdoor museum.

Julie

<')))><
Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

Julie,
Great information. Looks like the trains run every 30 minutes. I think this is a great option. Thanks for the info. Looks like you are on the Grand the week after I am. I can't believe you are so organized to have all this detail already.
What are you doing at the other ports? I would love to pick your very organized and detailed brain - LOL
Anne
Grand Princess 7 Aug 2004

Northlander,
Thank you for your posts. They are very helpful especially for us independent travelers.
I am wanting to know if there is a program to "Meet the Swedes" - similiar to Denmark's "Meet the Danes" for lunch or drinks, etc.
We are arriving on Celebrity on August 30 and I'm not positive about the port, but I there is a good chance it will be at Frihamnen Dock.
[email]Brahmama@Yahoo.com[/email]

• 3 weeks later...
I am having trouble with the web site - I can't seem to see get the train schedules to view as a table. What options are there for times to get back to Nynashamn in time for the 5:00 boarding on the Grand? This is probably right in front of my eyes! Thanks for the help.

Northbound,

I'm leaning towards buying my Stockholm Card at the train station in Nynashaam. However, what happens if the train is about to leave before I can buy the card? Should I hop on the train and then buy a ticket from the conductor? If the trains run about every hour, I don't want to wait another hour for the next train.

Also, if I only plan on going to the Vasa Museum and the Palace, and spend the rest of our time walking around Stockholm, is it better to just buy the transport card and skip the Stockholm Card and pay individually for the musuem? Does one pay to get into the palace?

Thanks,
Jane

Archived