Berlin to Potsdam?

After our cruise we will be in Berlin for 4 days. One place I would like to visit is Potsdam. Advice how to do this? I assume it's a local train. Are train reservations needed/ cheaper? Cost?

How far from train station to Sanssouci Palace and gardens? Is it walkable or do we need a bus/taxi?

After our cruise we will be in Berlin for 4 days. One place I would like to visit is Potsdam. Advice how to do this? I assume it's a local train. Are train reservations needed/ cheaper? Cost?

How far from train station to Sanssouci Palace and gardens? Is it walkable or do we need a bus/taxi?

Hi again,

Potsdam is joined to Berlin by the s-bahn line #7, part of the local public transport system. This line runs through most of the central stations in Berlin, (ie. Hackescher Markt, Freidrich Strasse, Hauptbahnhof, Zoological Garten and Charlottenburg) terminating at Potsdam Hbf. so there is sure to be a station close to where you are staying. The trains run about every 10 mins throughout the day and the trip takes around 45mins. The s-bahn is preferable to the Regional trains which are also found on timetables; cheaper, quicker, more frequent, easier to find at the station.

The most economical ticket is a Berlin day ticket for Zones ABC costing 7.20 € per person. This ticket is valid on the s-bahn, u-bahn and buses in Berlin and on the buses and trams in Potsdam all day from 9am to 3am the following day. You can also buy 2,3 and 5 day versions of this ticket.

There is an excellent Tourist Information Office in Potsdam Hbf.

Potsdam Hbf. is close to the City centre but to get to Sans Soucci take bus #695 from the bus interchange outside the station. This bus travels through the Royal Palace area and has a stop right outside Sans Soucci. It can also be used as a HOHO to get to the other palaces in the complex. The Berlin Day Ticket is valid on the bus. For a good map of the route and stops see http://www.swp-potsdam.de/swp/media/05-verkehr_1/image_verkehr/tuori_linien/Informationen_zur_Schloesserlinie.pdf

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

I visited Potsdam last summer, and walked from the train station through the city and the park all the way to the New Palace and back (12 km in total) in hot weather, so I can tell you using a bus is not a bad idea :D even if it is "only" 3 km from the station to Sanssouci Palace.

The problem is that bus 695 only depart every 20 minutes, but on weekends and public holidays an additional bus X15 between the station and Sanssouci Palace, so that together a bus depart every 10 minutes.

If you have a valid day ticket (it has to be validated first time you use it) the train itself is a piece of cake. You just locate the correct platform and jump on when the train comes and take a seat. No barriers or need to show the ticket anywhere.

It seems however that there always are a lot of track repair and special traffic arrangements going on in Berlin during the summers. For example, last summer it was s-bahn #1 went to Potsdam instead of #7, and the s-bahn was closed between Friedrichstrasse and Alexanderplatz. So, if possible, try to check things out on http://www.bvg.de/en/ and http://www.s-bahn-berlin.de/ just before your trip.

Edited by Ultima Thule

You can also buy 2,3 and 5 day versions of this ticket.

Are those still available or have they been removed for 2015? I checked BVG's homepage and was unable to find them. There are one-day and 7 day tickets but the only 2,3 and 5 day tickets were the Welcome Card and City Tour Card options that includes museums etc.

Are those still available or have they been removed for 2015? I checked BVG's homepage and was unable to find them. There are one-day and 7 day tickets but the only 2,3 and 5 day tickets were the Welcome Card and City Tour Card options that includes museums etc.

Sorry, I did not make it clear that the tickets included in the Welcome Card and the City Tour Card were the ones to which I was referring.

Re the previous post, my present information is that, in 2015, there will be no work on the route covered by the #7 s-bahn line until after 24th August. Even then it will be station renovation and should not interfere with traffic. However, as stated, it would be best to check.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni
Forgot title