Weather in the Baltic

morgana

Getting ready to board the Westerdam on Sep 8 for a tour of the baltic and wonder what to expect in terms of the weather. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect and what to pack!

Regards

Morgana

Go to weather.com and enter the name of the port cities. Current, 10-day and monthly forecasts can be obtained for all stops on the itinerary except Aarhus. We will also be on that cruise.

I can tell you we lucked out for our 8/13 Baltic cruise. Weather was warmer than forecasts, not a drop of rain.

Hope you will be as lucky.

I had brought a fleece jacket & never once wore it. Although there were people with coats on. ??

Do prepare with some layers. As in the museums, churches it can be warm - no AC, loads of people.

I had some french terry pant sets that were perfect. Wore sundresses on the warmer days, with a shirt underneath.

Comfortable shoes is key.

Have an awesome cruise :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for your advice! Just got back and the weather was almost perfect. Couple of days of high winds (Stockholm and Visby) and rain in Berlin but didn't ruin the trip. Overall, blue skies and calm seas. An incredible trip!

Regards

Morgana

Morgana - It is amazing what just a couple of days will do. We were on the Sept. 12th sailing of the Star Princess. On several days especially in Helsiniki and St. Petersburg I wore a scarf and gloves. It was very cold, I saw a sign in St. Petersburg calling it 8 celicits. We had rain on and off in St. Petersburg and it was cold and rain in Stockholm. We had great weather in Oslo and Copenhagen. We also had very heavy seas a couple of nights one in particular was very bad. We had such a great time that it really didn't affect anything at all, just if you go in September take some warmer clothing.

SaylorGirl - Had heard that the Baltic can be unpredictable in September which is why we packed the dramamine! Sorry to hear that you had several days of heavy seas but glad that it didn't spoil your cruise. The heavy winds we experienced in Stockholm meant we had to stay overnight (we didn't mind that) and the rain in Berlin didn't stop us from enjoying the tour. As you said, amazing what a difference a couple of days can make. Our guide in St Petersburg was laughing at my husband as he was in short sleeves both days! Agree that being prepared is the answer and dressing in layers is the way to go as you never know!

Regards

Morgana

• 1 month later...

We were there in mid-July this summer 2005. We had only one day of rain (Oslo). With sunny days, we enjoyed daytime temps mostly in the low- to occasional mid/high-70's. Evenings were cooler, of course. I'm a Texan who loves the heat, so I didn't think much of the idea that one basically wears a sweater or jacket every day in the peak summer period in Scandanavia. You could pull it off for a few hours in direct sun, but the rest of the time, I was happy to have the added layer.

Morgana - It is amazing what just a couple of days will do. We were on the Sept. 12th sailing of the Star Princess. On several days especially in Helsiniki and St. Petersburg I wore a scarf and gloves.
Whoa, you're not kidding. We sailed on August 27th of this year, about 2 weeks before you did. We were wearing short sleeves every day in port and had sunny skies for all but one of our 14 days; we knew we were under a lucky star because we had no rain for 14 days (none for our pre- and postcruise stays either). In fact, it was about 72 and sunny in Copenhagen, so we were glad when the clouds rolled in during the afternoon because we were getting hot. It got to be a joke with the clothes because all the passengers had brought short and long sleeves, and Celebrity made a fortune on laundry for our sailing because we only wore long sleeves one day and were constantly our short-sleeved shirts out to be laundered. When I sailed the Baltics in mid-late May of 2003, we were in jackets like you were, and I remember using my wide scarf to cover our legs when I sat at the shows at Tivoli.

I received an e-mail from a friend in St. Petersburg yesterday stating that they just got their first snow of the season.

At any rate, for anyone sailing in 2006, please note that the Baltics weather is very unpredictable, so layers are a good idea.

Happy travels to all,

Donna

Before we left I checked weather.com for the 10 day forecast of all our posts (we sailed on August 17).

It was supposed to be about 68-70 F for the trip. Luckily at the last minute I threw some shorts in.

It was a MINIMUM of 80 degrees in most ports. In St. Petersburg it got a little cooler at the end (ie I was wearing capris) but it was a LOT warmer then predicted.

The DH wore shorts every day.

Bottom line, be prepared for everything.

Elin

We arrived in Copenhagen for 3 days in the middle of a very uncomfortable heat wave- in the 90s. Luckily our hotel had air conditioning. It cooled off by our second day into the cruise. We then had overcast and rain most days. Cool temperatures. Light jackets were needed every morning and rain jackets on 3 or 4 mornings as we set out into the port cities. Tenmoperatures were mainly in the 60s most days.

MTemple212,

Just so you know, few locals will be in shorts. In July 2005, I saw lots of men and women in loose-fitting 3/4 length khaki tan cargo-type nylon pants.

Not that you shouldn't wear what is most comfortable for you considering the activities you choose. I personally find the discussions re: how not to look like a tourist mostly hilarious, as we *are* tourists. However, I do think not sticking out like a sore thumb (or being culturally insensitive to certain dress "codes," of course) is a pretty good plan, too! :D

Archived