Advice for Arriving at the Port

UncleButts

Hello everyone! My wife and I will be arriving at Newark in a couple of weeks for our Quantum cruise at 7:45 am on Sunday. Unfortunately, our boarding time isn't until 11:15.

That's leaves us with a fair bit of idle time between when we arrive until when we can board the ship. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to get from the airport to Bayonne, and then how to keep ourselves busy for up to 3 hours before we can board?

We never been to Bayonne before, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd take a taxi. If you land at 7:45AM by the time you get your bags and get to Bayonne, it will probably be close to 9AM. They might let you board early but otherwise read a book or play some games on your phone. Also you might want to get coffee and a bite to eat at the airport to kill additional time.

Thank you! I was also wondering if the lay of the land around the port made it possible to drop our bags with a porter and go out for breakfast somewhere near the port. For example, is it possible for a pedestrian to leave the port area and access any restaurants or residential areas outside of the terminal, or is it strictly industrial/commercial areas with no way to exit by foot?

Thanks!

Thank you! I was also wondering if the lay of the land around the port made it possible to drop our bags with a porter and go out for breakfast somewhere near the port. For example, is it possible for a pedestrian to leave the port area and access any restaurants or residential areas outside of the terminal, or is it strictly industrial/commercial areas with no way to exit by foot?

Thanks!

The Port of Bayonne is in an industrial area, so there are no restaurants within walking distance. Embarkation will depend on how quickly debarkation went.

The Porters will usually start accepting bags around 9:30AM. You will most likely be able to do your check-in once inside the terminal, but boarding will not start until the ship has been completely cleared and that time can vary even with what is printed on your SetSail Pass.

My only comment is that arriving that early will interfere with those leaving. We got off Quantum yesterday and had a late flight. We left the ship about 8:30. The luggage area was fairly chaotic with cars, shuttles, and cabs trying to pick people up. If it was me, I'd sit at the airport in a restaurant or lounge and relax until maybe 9:30, then grab a cab and get to the port by about 10 or 10:30. Things should be fairly settled by then. Just a thought.

We got dropped of at the port at 11:30 and were called on the ship at 12:00 even though we were scheduled to baord at 12:15. Had to get directed to the propper row of chairs to get checked in. Was a breeze after that - 10 minutes later we were in 270. By 1:00 our rooms were available and all bags but 1 were waiting - it showed up an hour later.

Traveled by private limo from Manhattan area to the ship - which took very short time about 20 minutes and then - we crawled with the rest of the line for another 50 minutes (2/2 sailing) was so glad that I had not done a taxi as the meter would have been huge.

Agree with staying at the airport - but would look into the bus transfer with the cruiseline before doing a taxi -

Could have been our timing - we were in line outside terminal at 12Noon - then in terminal at 1255PM and then more chaos and finally on the ship at 140PM -

Fantastic cruise once we were on - just glad that I know how much the transfer was costing before sitting there.

Have a great cruise -

We just completed our paperwork and the earliest arrival time is not until 1:45pm. We have booked a grand suite. Will they let us on the ship earlier say around noon?

They may let you in earlier. Once you are in the terminal, your can either find an agent to check in or you can check in the suite line after going through security which is on your left hand side. There is also a security line on the left hand side you can use, it's for suites & pinnacle guests.

Thanks so much. My DH suggested that I call RC today and see if they can change our board time. My DS needs his nap by 12:30-1pm and will really be disrupted otherwise. It's probably my own fault that I didn't complete the paperwork earlier.... oh well. Let's see what happens.