No credit card on QV

Sophistikatie

You buy enough OBC you know you will spend, not the maximum. I have done this in the past and have always had to pay extra at the end of the cruise. After all, you can pay for your trips from the OBC as well as any drinks, I usually work on 3 drinks each for me and wifey $30+, a bottle of wine at dinner up to $50, having some items of clothing cleaned $10, tips for the crew $28 (?) without thinking that's $118 per day on a 10 day cruise it is easy to run up $1000 and the above does not include any trips or on board trinket purchases.

I agree, it's easy to spent $100 a day per couple, I certainly always have done. But that's my point. Why bother buying $1000 OBC ? Just settle the bill at the end, job done.

OBC is fine if it's part of your cruise deal, but pointless otherwise.

Managed an entire world cruise with out a card. Just put in $300 - $500 and when it gets low bring more cash to the Pursers Office. No problem at all and not having a CC on land is wonderful as you do not buy a lot of stuff to place in the very back of the closet when arriving back home.

When checking in - Tell the nice person at the desk that is how you will handling your On Board account. They will block it out from you being able to use it other than getting on the ship until you visit the Pursers office. They will activate the card for charges once they have your cash - US money.

Wonderful post / reply!

Modern living can be complicated if we are unable to conform to the majority class.....ie, no internet....you must live in a cave etc. My brother was unable to hold a credit card for 5 years as he got into financial problems,(he was a victim of a serious financial scam), but that inhibited his survival in the world post scam. Credit rating is the passport to an easier life.

It is not always possible to "get a credit card!" :o

I agree, it's easy to spent $100 a day per couple, I certainly always have done. But that's my point. Why bother buying $1000 OBC ? Just settle the bill at the end, job done.

OBC is fine if it's part of your cruise deal, but pointless otherwise.

If you are unable to provide a credit card as security, the on board spend account must always be in credit. The bill cannot just be settled at the end. With the credit card as security.....the debt is to the credit card company, not Cunard.

No problem at all and not having a CC on land is wonderful as you do not buy a lot of stuff to place in the very back of the closet when arriving back home.

What does having a credit card have to do with buying said stuff?

David.

If you are unable to provide a credit card as security, the on board spend account must always be in credit. The bill cannot just be settled at the end. With the credit card as security.....the debt is to the credit card company, not Cunard.

I thought the previous posts had established this.

David.

What does having a credit card have to do with buying said stuff?

David.

Only that is has been proven that most people part with their own actual cash less often and in smaller amounts than they do with the plastic funny money offered with a credit card.

The subject of Debit cards appears to to have been well covered.

However, I cannot for the life of me understand the mind logic when anyone prefers to offer a debit card to cover onboard spend, particularly when the ship's currency is not GBP.

Debit cards are, by their nature, linked to one's bank account and the going rates for foreign currency conversion through that channel are horrendous.

Far better to use one of the better credit cards such as Halifax Clarity where the rate is linked to the inter-bank exchange rate.

Of course, all this is purely academic if your onboard spend is infinitesimal.