Convince me why we should sail (try) on Princess

texnewbie

Carnival is considered the Walmart of cruising. Now I do shop at Walmart. What they do, they do well. Likewise, I do cruise on Carnival. In fact I have an elite status on Carnival, Princess, and RCCL . And multiple cruises on NCL and Celebrity. (Yes, I love to cruise.) But, IMHO, Carnival is targeting the lowest common denominator as their customer. You have to ask yourself if, for your vacation, you want to shop at Walmart or Macy's or Neiman's. They all have their place. Some people can't tell the difference. Others are very picky.

Bennett of BennettandDebbie

Thanks for the reply!!

Yes, I'll agree the Walmart of Cruise lines or as I've always said the LaQuinta of motels... and yes, we do shop at Walmart every now and then and we do stay at a LaQuinta, when we need a quick over night place to stay. :)

But

I would love to Cruise on a Neiman's type cruise line.

SeaBourn or SeaDream... My Boss and his wife have sailed on both of these lines... Fancy Fancy!!!! (which maybe to Fancy for me)

But yes, I do want to sail on something a little fancier!!! Or more or less something a little relaxing and calmer...

and

I have truly loved my 4 cruises on Carnival. They we're amazing and the cruise staff was wonderful!!! I just want a little calmer cruise...

Thanks for your thoughts!!! I totally agree with your response...

Carolyn

The sanctuary is a wonderful place. It cost extra but you have your own very plush lounge chair. It is peaceful and relaxing. Light snacks and drinks.

An MP3 player to listen to music. Loved it on the Crown and Carribean.

Do not go on the Royal. It is the worst ship. Strange layout.

Food is fantastic on Princess. You can find a cozy spot most anywhere.

MUTS you see movies and concerts by the pool and under the stars with popcorn and cookies. They don't push heavy drinking like they do on Carnival.

That is a fun ship that pushes wild partying. Not on Princess.

Very elegant decor. Balcony dinner is wonderful. You feel like a king and queen.

No hairy leg or belly flop contest. No towels animals though.

Oh thank you thank you thank you!!!

If you sit at the Sanctuary Area, no matter what, it cost extra???

or if you just want a plush lounger with the MP3 player...

How much???

Is there a pool in this area or is it located in an area really close???

I think I need to go back and research this area a little better...

So is the Balcony Dinner something that you order through room service????

or do you order it through customer service...

I really really love this idea!!! It would be so romantic for Charlie and I!!!

Oh the MOTS sounds like a really fun time too!!!

Thank you so much for the wonderful information!!!

Carolyn

How much???

Carolyn

I think no matter what you decide is best for you, I'd recommend to take opinions "with a grain of salt".

Not to generate another of the many CC debates about the Royal-class ships but having sailed 27 days on the Royal we enjoy it very much and the layout is very similar to other Princess ships. We enjoyed it so much that our next cruise is 17 days on the Regal. I don't use terms like best or worse and do not tell anyone what to do & when someone tells me what to do that definitely falls into my "grain of salt" category. ;)

The Sanctuary costs $20 for each half day session & generally they will book some for the complete cruise but no longer at a discount of $30 per full day. Although on cruises where few people go there they sometimes offer unadvertised "specials". The loungers are more like mattresses & very comfortable but only the Coral & Island on the aft end of the ship have a small pool only for the Sanctuary. Other ships have the Sanctuary on the front of the ship with a pool nearby that is open to everyone.

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner cost $100/couple & the breakfast is $32. These are ordered through room service and we particularly enjoy the UBD. For the extra $50 over going to the Crown Grill you get nearly $100 of extras: photo, cocktails, half bottle of champagne (we exchange that $32 half bottle for a $32 full bottle of wine), flowers & specialty coffee drinks. Attentive tuxedoed waiters "magically" reappear when you're ready for your next course of the lobster and/or filet mignon dinner. They want to make it a great experience & can modify the basic menu for you.

The breakfast brings stacks of food all at the same time & for the $32 price of the half bottle of champagne you get a better room service breakfast for "free".

In addition to the popcorn & cookies during MUTS you can get pizza, softserve ice cream and items from the grill in the MUTS area...it's a "walk-in" outdoor movie with free food! :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

How much???

Carolyn

Carolyn,

I've done 8 cruises on Princess, DH and I have NEVER used the Sanctuary. We cruise at Christmas/New Years when there are MANY children. We have gone up on the upper decks for sun and quiet. IF we need/want a quiet spot. On Crown, Ruby and Caribbean Princess, there is a pool near the Sanctuary... We have often gotten a lounger near the Sanctuary. It was quiet and never cost us anything... it was quiet on the upper decks...

Of course there are times we want near the Muts or near the 'big' pool and we have found loungers there... The loungers around the two main pools are padded so many want the space there. The 'problem' we saw was chair hogs....

The aft pool area is also very quiet. IF you have a balcony and you want the peace and quiet you can't beat your own balcony.....

I guess what I'm trying to get to is that the Sanctuary is nice, BUT there are many areas that you can find quiet on a sea day. DH and I have always found a spot that fit our needs during the busiest time of the year and never paid for a pampered area.... we didn't see a need for it.;)

Despite the fact that I'm going to be on a Princess cruise next week, I would point you to Celebrity. After our last Celebrity cruise, we weren't on the Reflection more than a few hours when my DW texted her SIL "OMG, I may never get on another Carnival ship". And the cruise just kept getting better from that point.

Bennett of

Bennett and Debbie

Carolyn,

I've done 8 cruises on Princess, DH and I have NEVER used the Sanctuary. We cruise at Christmas/New Years when there are MANY children. We have gone up on the upper decks for sun and quiet. IF we need/want a quiet spot. On Crown, Ruby and Caribbean Princess, there is a pool near the Sanctuary... We have often gotten a lounger near the Sanctuary. It was quiet and never cost us anything... it was quiet on the upper decks...

Of course there are times we want near the Muts or near the 'big' pool and we have found loungers there... The loungers around the two main pools are padded so many want the space there. The 'problem' we saw was chair hogs....

The aft pool area is also very quiet. IF you have a balcony and you want the peace and quiet you can't beat your own balcony.....

I guess what I'm trying to get to is that the Sanctuary is nice, BUT there are many areas that you can find quiet on a sea day. DH and I have always found a spot that fit our needs during the busiest time of the year and never paid for a pampered area.... we didn't see a need for it.;)

If I could figure out how to give you several thumbs up I would... We need more emojis !!!!

Thanks for the great suggestions..

More than anything, I love to sit on the pool deck (a quit one) with my feet in the water drinking some kind of yummy drink with an umbrella in it. I do love to listen to music and I do love to be pampered... But I will say, sitting with my feet in the water and relaxing is awesome!!!

Thanks

Carolyn

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!

Thank you for your wonderful input!!!

We made a decision!!!

Yay!!!!! Happy Dance, Happy Dance...

We're booking Princess Regal, Nov. 3rd, to Princess Cay, Bahamas, and Grand Turk!!!! Mini Suite!!!!

We're so excited...

We've so enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and suggestions about both Princess and RCCL... (I posted the same question on RCCL).

Both Royal Caribbean and Princess seam to have the same quality of ships but I wanted something a little more relaxing and maybe a little bit more elegant. (Please note, my choice doesn't mean that RC isn't elegant and relaxing) I just felt that Princess is calling our name and it fits what I'm looking for. Although we still plan on sail on FOTS... and Allure or even Harmony one day, but for now Regal Princess has my name...

Plus I really wanted to sail to The Turks... and I'm really looking forward to having a romantic dinner on my balcony...

Again, Thank you everyone for your input... It was so much fun to read your comments...

Carolyn

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!

We made a decision!!!

We're booking Princess Regal, Nov. 3rd, to Princess Cay, Bahamas, and Grand Turk!!!! Mini Suite!!!!

We're so excited...

We've so enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and suggestions about both Princess and RCCL... (I posted the same question on RCCL).

Plus I really wanted to sail to The Turks... and I'm really looking forward to having a romantic dinner on my balcony...

Again, Thank you everyone for your input... It was so much fun to read your comments...

Carolyn

Carolyn, I'm happy to see you have pulled the trigger and are booked on the Royal. Even happier to see you talking about an Ultimate Balcony Dinner!

Call Room Service on boarding day and have a day and time picked out (usually 6 or 8 pm) Early would be better as it gets dark early in November. Check out a couple of my reviews in my signature that feature the UBD-they will give you an idea of the food and how it is served in courses. (The Room Service lead will come to your cabin with menus on boarding day after you've made the call.)

You'll find them on the Crown, Ruby and Diamond reviews-the Diamond being the best I'd say for the scenery. The others we timed for the sunset as we sailed away from ports.

I can't wait to hear from you after you sail the Royal !!

Norris

Oh Bimmer09... You have just made my day!!!!!!!

Thank you!!! Thank you!!!!!

Oh that would be so awesome if Carson did come and pour my tea for me...

I just loved that!!!

Thank you!!!

I have enjoyed reading your trip report... Yours is the trip report that has me hooked on Princess already...

I think I've decided to cruise on Regal Princess - Premium Mini Suite with Balcony. Also my husband is a smoker

Thanks

Carolyn

I don't see where anybody else picked up on your last sentence there, regarding the fact that your husband is a smoker. Princess does not allow smoking on balconies or in staterooms, nor many indoor spaces. I only mention it because you stated this after mentioning your choice of rooms.

Edited by Timbles

Carolyn, I'm happy to see you have pulled the trigger and are booked on the Royal. Even happier to see you talking about an Ultimate Balcony Dinner!

Call Room Service on boarding day and have a day and time picked out (usually 6 or 8 pm) Early would be better as it gets dark early in November. Check out a couple of my reviews in my signature that feature the UBD-they will give you an idea of the food and how it is served in courses. (The Room Service lead will come to your cabin with menus on boarding day after you've made the call.)

You'll find them on the Crown, Ruby and Diamond reviews-the Diamond being the best I'd say for the scenery. The others we timed for the sunset as we sailed away from ports.

I can't wait to hear from you after you sail the Royal !!

Norris

We can't wait...

although you put Royal... in your response,

and I was like, wait... I think it's Regal, so I had to go back and make sure I booked Regal and yes, It's Regal.

I was afraid I was going crazy...

Thanks for the information about the Ultimate Balcony Dinner.... I'm so excited...

Also, are there drink packages?? Soda???

and

Do they have a florist/??? on ship. My sweet hubby and I both usually send each other something special that's usually in our room when we arrive.

Thanks Norris!!!!

Carolyn

We can't wait...

although you put Royal... in your response,

and I was like, wait... I think it's Regal, so I had to go back and make sure I booked Regal and yes, It's Regal.

I was afraid I was going crazy...

Thanks for the information about the Ultimate Balcony Dinner.... I'm so excited...

Also, are there drink packages?? Soda???

and

Do they have a florist/??? on ship. My sweet hubby and I both usually send each other something special that's usually in our room when we arrive.

Thanks Norris!!!!

Carolyn

This will show you all of the items you can preorder or do like us & order on the ship.

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/overview/how-to-order-localized/Gifts_Services.pdf

We have pre-ordered flowers however my wife is very sensitive to Asiatic lilies & now places her order with the onboard florist which has a table set up at various times during the cruise. I've seen them adjacent to the passenger service desk and also on promenade deck just aft of the atrium.

Unlimited Soda Package:

Receive a souvenir tumbler and select from a variety of unlimited soft drinks served by the glass at all bars and restaurant locations throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.

Item #0523 – $5.18 per person/per day*

Unlimited Soda & More Package:

Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & more Package,† entitling you to the above Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, shakes, floats and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.

Item #2312 – $8.05 per person/per day*

All-Inclusive Bar Package:

Take advantage of our All-Inclusive Beverage Package which includes any individual beverage item, such as soda, water, cocktails, spirits, wines, beers, coffee and tea, up to $10 (retail value). Price includes service charge

Item # 0525 - $56.35 per person/per day^

Canned Soda Package:

Choose any six canned sodas listed below in any combination for the price of five: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Diet Sprite, orange soda, soda water, tonic water, ginger ale. Price includes service charge

Item #2311 – $12.00

Beer Package:

Choose any of the following beers and receive six for the price of five: Beck’s, Coors Light, Dos Equis, Miller Genuine Draft, Miller Lite. Price includes service charge

Item #2310 – $28.46

Café Selects Coffee Card:

Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks along with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise. Price includes service charge

Item #524 – $31.00

We've enjoyed the UBD four times & plan it during a evening in port or during sailaway. Once sailing from Santorini the weather was inclement and we enjoyed it inside our standard balcony cabin and even enjoyed it on the smaller balconies on the Royal Princess sailing from Barcelona.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks to Astroflyer for answering Carolyn's previous question.

Carolyn-sorry I booked you on the Royal not the Regal !! LOL

I had been looking at cruises on the Royal just today and that was stuck in my mind- I ended up booking on Celebrity Silhouette instead because of the itinerary.

Sorry if I gave you "a moment" regarding your booking!

Norris

If I could figure out how to give you several thumbs up I would... We need more emojis !!!!

Thanks for the great suggestions..

More than anything, I love to sit on the pool deck (a quit one) with my feet in the water drinking some kind of yummy drink with an umbrella in it. I do love to listen to music and I do love to be pampered... But I will say, sitting with my feet in the water and relaxing is awesome!!!

Thanks

Carolyn

Carolyn, You are most welcomed!!!! I am glad my info was of help! the New Regal & you have a suite & balcony! You will have the best of both worlds!!!

I look forward to hearing how you like Regal... I have looked at Regal and thought... I like the lay out better on Regal- so I'm very interested in how you like it.

Be sure to post back so we can see how it went!

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!!!

Gabrielle

Edited by Gabrielle R.
spelling

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!

We made a decision!!!

We're so excited...

Both Royal Caribbean and Princess seam to have the same quality of ships but I wanted something a little more relaxing and maybe a little bit more elegant. (Please note, my choice doesn't mean that RC isn't elegant and relaxing) I just felt that Princess is calling our name and it fits what I'm looking for. Although we still plan on sail on FOTS... and Allure or even Harmony one day, but for now Regal Princess has my name...

Carolyn

Sorry to get in late on the conversation. My DW and I have sailed Princess 9 times. We just got off the Royal Feb 17th having completed our first B2B cruise. Grand Turk was on both legs of the cruise. It is a nice place and the beaches are great and the water is absolutely beautiful. We did both the Southern Medley and the Eastern Caribbean. We were on the Regal last June in the Mediterranean on it's third week out of the boat yard. Both ships are almost exact. A couple of enhancements on the Regal but nothing I noticed specifically.

When you read the Princess boards you will find a lot of criticism of both the Royal and Regal. To me they were both great!! For me cruising is what I make it. You are on a vacation don't let things get to you. Like the fact there is no mid-ship stairs above Emerald deck. Adjust the way you move around the ship. Avoid the elevators during peak times and use alternate routes. (Sorry I was getting a little sidetracked :) )

We have never done the Sanctuary, but did the Enclave on both the Regal and the Royal and really enjoyed it. And there are enough varied events to keep you busy depending on what you like to do.

I have always found the MDR's to be very nice and have always had very good service. I also really like the way they changed the buffet's in the Horizon Court on the Regal and Royal. We also like the Trident hamburger grill. And at least once on your cruise you MUST go to Alfredo's if you like pizza and italian food!

BTW, I grew up about 100 miles west of you. So for me to like to cruise blew my DW's mind. But I can't think of a better way of spending my free time. Enjoy the Regal!!!