Independent Transfers in Copenhagen (for Princess)

In case this hasn't already been posted and for those of you bold enough to do your own transfers, here is what I have found while doing research. Since Princess seems to always charge so much for transfers I like to do them on my own.

Princess is docking at the Frihavn port (Free port) which is farther along then the Langeline port. It looks like you can take the subway to the Nordhavn stop and then there isn't too much of a walk until the Freeport. I'm hoping there will be a lot of signage just in case. From my Lonely Planet book it looks like the Nordhavn Station is just a few short stops from the Central Station along the grey subway line.

If anyone's interested there is a nice section of the Port of Copenhagen dedicated to cruise ships including a map (click on the pdf file marked cruise terminals at the bottom).

http://www.cmport.com/80256A3F004AD3CF/(AllDocsByDocId)/B511D6376F6A31C580256A3F004F62CD?OpenDocument

There also appears to be a VIP hospitality centre for all cruise passengers at Stroget where they offer information on getting to the pier. I may stop there the day before my cruise just to be sure.

I checked out the map online and I agree with you the Nordhavn stop looks like it is not too far a walk to the terminal. Especially since they say you can walk from central city to Langelinie terminal in 30 minutes and from central city to Freeport terminal in 60 minutes. The distance on this map shos the station less than half the distance from Langelinie to Freeport, which should mean you can walk it in 15 minutes...however, I just read this on another website Below I pasted in part of the FAQ of a copenhagen tourist sight. The part that bothers me is that it says a taxi from Nordhavn will take 10 minutes and cost 50-70 DKK. Seems to me that if you can walk it in 15 minutes it shouldn't be a 10 minute cab ride. They should maybe suggest in addition to the cab a short 15 minute walk. What is your opinion? I am not leaving until August 7 so hopefully I will have some feedback from others who have ventured on their own before then. Thanks for the information you provided.

How do I get from the airport to Freeport Terminal?

There are three ways to get from the airport to Freeport Terminal.

Shuttle: Shuttle services are usually available from the airport to the vessels, but contact the cruise line directly to make sure.

Taxi: Taxis are located right outside the airport. A taxi from the airport will take approximately 30 minutes and cost about DKK 250-300.

Public transportation: It is not possible to take public transportation all the way, but you can take the train to the nearest station, and then grab a taxi from there. The train station is located beneath the airport, and the trains leave every 20 minutes. It will take approximately18 minutes to reach Nordhavn station, which is your stop. The cost is about DKK 23. A taxi from the station will take approximately 10 minutes and cost DKK 50-70.

How do I get from the Freeport Terminal to the city center?

On foot: If you're up to it, you could walk. Walking from the Freeport to the city center takes about an hour, but it's a nice walk.

Shuttle: Shuttle buses are usually right outside the vessels.

Taxi: Taxis will cost approximately DKK 100-150, and depending on the traffic, the trip will take about 10-15 minutes.

We are actually staying at the Hilton at the airport the night before the cruise because we don't arrive until 10pm (and have 3 children) and just wanted to collapse closeby and make our way to the city the next day.

Thanks for the additional information. Hmmm, it does seem odd that a taxi from the Nordhavn station to the Freeport would take 10 minutes. I guess I'll just have to wait and see when I get there.

I will update everyone when I return so future cruisers this summer exactly how to handle independent transfers into Freeport.

Thank you for your post jsf25. We look forward to your update after you experience Copenhagen 1st hand.

Julie

<')))><

Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

• 1 month later...

As promised here are details on a "do-it yourself" transfer to the Princess ship in Copenhagen.

**Warning: This really should only be attempted if you are not carrying a lot of luggage, are fit enough to walk one mile with your luggage and have a very adventurous spirit! Not recommended for anyone with kids, anyone with limited mobility or a lot of luggage.

1. The Copenhagen Central Station has a wealth of information and is a great place to use as a transportation home base. I recommend picking up a red Koreplan booklet which has the S train schedules in it.

2. Departure from Central Station (Kobenhavn H). There are several lines you can take. The lines are distinguished by their color and direction. I took the blue line (direction: Hillerod). There were three brief stops between the central station and the Nordhavn station. Trains run 3 times an hour for each line (15, 35, 55 after the hour).

Other lines you can take to get to the Nordhavn station from central station (Kobenhavn H):

- purple (direction: Hillerod), 05, 25, 45 after the hour

- green (direction: Holte), 07, 27, 47 after the hour

- red (direction: Farum), 13, 33, 53 after the hour.

There are others, just consult the Koreplan.

3. Tickets can be bought from the automatic ticket machines. You want a 2 zone ticket for 17 kroner.

4. There is ample space on the S train cars. I was very pleasantly surprised. Very clean and excellent train system.

5. You will clearly see the Grand Princess as you arrive into Nordhavn station. It is about a 10 minute walk from their to the pier check-in. Beware of cars! You will have to pass through the little security building close to the check-in (it's controlled by a gate which opens and closes for taxis, buses, etc.)

There you have it. It can be done - no problem. And at a fraction of the price!

And a bonus tip...

If you have some extra time, take the S train back to the Osterport station (1 station from Nordhavn). From here it is a 10 minute walk to see The Little Mermaid. Lots of helpful signs along the way to get you there.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

You forgot to mention that a train ticket from the airport to Nordhavn or viceversa costs 25.50 kroner because it covers 3 zones.

We took the train both ways. After the cruise we went to the central station to leave our luggage at a locker (25 kroner for a small locker, 35 for a big one for 24 hours) and spent the day sightseeing. Our flight did not leave until 8pm and we left the ship at 8am, so we had all day to have a look around Copenhagen.

I suggest a hop on - hop off boat tour if you have the time. It's great. Walking tours with an American called Richard who dresses as Hans Christian Andersen are also really good.

Voyager of the Seas Nov-03

Grand Princess 29-May-04

• 11 months later...

On the port map at http://www.cmport.com it looks like bus no. 29 stops directly at the gate of the free port. I also checked the bus map of line 29 and there is a stop called "Sondre Frihavn", I wonder if that would be the freeport and if taking that bus would get you even closer to the terminal than the train... Anyone knows?

Marc

Thanks for the additional information. Hmmm, it does seem odd that a taxi from the Nordhavn station to the Freeport would take 10 minutes. I guess I'll just have to wait and see when I get there.

From my understanding, it's only about a 10 min walk from Nordhavn station to the Frihaven. That was my guess when I looked at the map, and other posters have confirmed it is a short 10 walk, or a few min. more depending on walking speed. It will definately not take a 10 min. taxi ride from Nordhavn to Frihavn, that would totally be incorrect.

The Copenhagen Tourist Information sent me a link to a FAQ for cruise passengers in Copenhagen:

http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/faq/

It also adresses the questions about transfer. They also mention that a taxi ride from the Nordhavn train station to the Free Port takes about 10 min. Maybe there are lots of one-way streets in that area so that the taxis have to take a long way. Or they just give a longer time in case there are longer waits due to traffic during embarkation/disembarkation...

Marc

• 3 weeks later...

I never saw a bus #29 and the bus stop across the street from the security building only listed bus #26. I used bus #26 to get to Amalienborg and back. Be aware that not all of the bus #26 go all the way back to Frihavnen. The one I got on went through Langelinie terminal and headed back after the port. I jumped off the bus and crossed the street heading north one block to find the next bus stop for another northbound #26. Another one came by shortly afterwards and returned to the origianl bus stop at Frihavnen

Suzi

Archived