Carnival ships leaving fleet.

When we did the behind the fun tour on Fantasy our guide said over and over that she was the oldest in the fleet FOR NOW. So it does sound like it is imminent for them to do something with her.

Yes, the Fantasy was built in 1990 (making her 25 years old) and the Ecstasy was built in '91.

Edited by Out to sea!

that class of ships is a win for ccl. they are smaller so can fit where the big ships cant, the smaller cruises 3-5 days are affordable and easy for ccl to fill. smaller ships are probably cheaper to run. i think of that class as the work horses of the ccl fleet. i dont see any of them leaving anytime soon. i hope to get the chance to sail on one before they do go.

According to USA Today, Triumph going to NOLA to replace the Elation and Elation going to Jacksonville. Don't remember when but think they said before the end of the year.

It'll be closer to April 2016.

that class of ships is a win for ccl. they are smaller so can fit where the big ships cant, the smaller cruises 3-5 days are affordable and easy for ccl to fill. smaller ships are probably cheaper to run. i think of that class as the work horses of the ccl fleet. i dont see any of them leaving anytime soon. i hope to get the chance to sail on one before they do go.

It is actually more expensive to run a smaller ship. The larger the ship the cheaper it becomes per passenger to operate.

Aside from the over-the-top Joe Farcus interiors, a Ship like Fantasy is not really that old. 25 years is not old for a ship, and 70,000 tons is not small for a ship. Not everyone thinks that bigger is better. QE2 had a fabulous career from 1969 to 2008, 70,000 tons, and almost 40 years, only SOLAS regulations killed her off. The same with Regal Empress, 20,000 tons, with around 56 years in service.

Both of these ships were converted to Diesel propulsion during their lives.

With a proper itinerary and maintenance, Fantasy class could easily run for another 20 years. Of course, Carnival might want to consider an interior makeover!:D

They'll get Jon Taffer, and do a new TV show, "Cruise Ship Rescue".

Aside from the over-the-top Joe Farcus interiors, a Ship like Fantasy is not really that old. 25 years is not old for a ship, and 70,000 tons is not small for a ship. Not everyone thinks that bigger is better. QE2 had a fabulous career from 1969 to 2008, 70,000 tons, and almost 40 years, only SOLAS regulations killed her off. The same with Regal Empress, 20,000 tons, with around 56 years in service.

Both of these ships were converted to Diesel propulsion during their lives.

With a proper itinerary and maintenance, Fantasy class could easily run for another 20 years. Of course, Carnival might want to consider an interior makeover!:D

They'll get Jon Taffer, and do a new TV show, "Cruise Ship Rescue".

THREAD HIJACKING!!!

Did Joe Farcus design the Fantasy's interior? I absolutely LOVE the marble pillars and the grey and purple atrium!

THREAD HIJACKING!!!

Did Joe Farcus design the Fantasy's interior? I absolutely LOVE the marble pillars and the grey and purple atrium!

I like the interior of the Fantasy and Ecstasy as well. I also like the Glory which many people say is hideous. I don't care who designed them myself as long as they don't sink!

Edited by Out to sea!

THREAD HIJACKING!!!

yes, joe farcus designed every carnival ship currently in the fleet with the exception of ships from carnival breeze forward.

Edited by falkcor

I like the interior of the Fantasy and Ecstasy as well. I also like the Glory which many people say is hideous. I don't care who designed them myself as long as they don't sink!

Orginally farcus did. However the same people that did the interiors of breeze and sunshine redesigned the fantsy's promenade dining room and lido buffet. That is what makes her one of my favorite ships.... Not to much of farcus in public areas besides a couple of lounges.

Actually I think Farcus was the right designer at the right time; pure genius.

Some of his work appealed to me, some did not, such is life. He also did some incredible work for Costa and other Carnival ships.

QE2 had maximum capacity of 1800 (same size ships) and it was usually under 1500, but you paid for that! She went though several refits before they got her right. Let me see, three types of chairs in the Queens Room, the restaurant name and décor changes, only the chapel remained original at the end!

Long live Fantasy! A trend setting ship for her time, and one that can succeed today.

We have done 9 cruises , The last 3 on The Dream Class , Dream , Magic ,and The Breeze , We will not go back to any of the older class's of ships. Once you experience The Dream class , The others really seem dated , Awaiting The Vista .

I disagree. I would much rather go back on the Freedom or Liberty than sail the Dream. Dream wasn't a bad cruise, I just liked the other 2 ships better.

I'm really looking forward to our Pride cruise and getting back to a Spirit class ship!

Carnival has a conundrum. The entire Fantasy class is at or nearing time to cycle out of the fleet and they have no where to put them and there's unlikely to be very many interested buyers. Ibero is shutting down, so now they have the Grand Holiday to place somewhere or sell, as well. Costa got lucky when Celebration Cruise Line crashed their only ship and needed to purchase another. Grand Celebration was a perfect fit for them, and Costa rid themselves of a ship that they probably didn't want in the first place.

I really hope this is not the case for me since we have only sailed the Dream (which made us think twice about Carnival and the negativity we heard prior to cruising them...and we ended up loving our Dream cruise) and now we leave for the Pride in 32 days. :D I'm hoping the nice 2.0 upgrades on the Pride will definitely keep us coming back to Carnival and we will have a great experience just like we did on the Dream. :)

Personally I have only been on the Paradise and he Spirit. The Spirit is the Spirit class like your Pride Cruise. For many years you would hear.."we prefer and only do the Spirit class." It is exceptional in not too big but not too small.

Better sound proofing. A hull and ship build others have picked..like Cunard.

On and on..with the fun upgrades and recent reports..I simply can not imagine it is anything but a great choice, not to worry.:)

And the cabins are really nice and uniform with conquest and Dream Class...only do not have the cove ones and some unique ones...but all similar insides, ocean view, balcony. etc. That is where Carnival is truly loved..cabin good size and uniformity.

PS I want to try to the unique French balcony on those..they have the emergency boats in front but you can open window and see through ones inbetween bots pretty well and they are great value compared to balcony and often ocean view I hear...

I adored the Paradise too. Elation and Paradise are newest I think in Fantasy class...like an older comfy hotel you like...certain now "classic" but cool Carnival things..lots of marble and love the lobby stairs etc and skylight and horseshoe bars...you just can not turn up your nose to any I think..there are always not the "best" cruises. However, an upgraded Spirit class..wonderful and largest space ratio per passenger as well!!

Edited by sjn911

Undersatand now they are very close to announcing the sale of 2-3 fantasy class ships.

Rumor has it they are just not commanding revenue they used to and Carnival thinks it will get worse over time.

I can tell you on our NYE cruise on the Elation they could only have squeezed another 9 people on board without exceeding the Coast Guard maximum passengers.

I also booked ES about 14 months out and price reductions were few and far between :mad:.

These ships also serve as a cruise "initiation" for many people. Carnival likes new cruisers and these ships help that cause.

I'd be surprised if they sell more than 2 over the next 5-10 years.

I'd really like to see them do an extreme makeover on a few of them. I like oldies but goodies and would like to see this class of ship still available with lots of updates and top notch entertainment. That would attract a nice crowd IMO.

Edited by fuddrules

I can tell you on our NYE cruise on the Elation they could only have squeezed another 9 people on board without exceeding the Coast Guard maximum passengers.

I also booked ES about 14 months out and price reductions were few and far between :mad:.

These ships also serve as a cruise "initiation" for many people. Carnival likes new cruisers and these ships help that cause.

I'd be surprised if they sell more than 2 over the next 5-10 years.

I'd really like to see them do an extreme makeover on a few of them. I like oldies but goodies and would like to see this class of ship still available with lots of updates and top notch entertainment. That would attract a nice crowd IMO.

Agreed and it sure worked for me...I would love to go to see Tampa and take the Paradise...

We have done 9 cruises , The last 3 on The Dream Class , Dream , Magic ,and The Breeze , We will not go back to any of the older class's of ships. Once you experience The Dream class , The others really seem dated , Awaiting The Vista .

I really like the older ships with the 2.0 upgrades.

I really hope this is not the case for me since we have only sailed the Dream (which made us think twice about Carnival and the negativity we heard prior to cruising them...and we ended up loving our Dream cruise) and now we leave for the Pride in 32 days. :D I'm hoping the nice 2.0 upgrades on the Pride will definitely keep us coming back to Carnival and we will have a great experience just like we did on the Dream. :)

I have sailed all class ships with Carnival and I would book a cruise right now on any one of them. My favorite remains the Fantasy Class ships.

We are just off the Pride yesterday. Funny that you named those two ship's & from what we heard those are the only two that will be kept of the Fantasy class ship's.

Char

We won't sail Fantasy Class,,, but would consider doing Elation or Paradise BECAUSE they didn't get the EOF. Prefer the ships without. It's why we don't sail the Sensation. Last time we did was several years ago for a quick 3 day to help get to platinum. I believe we did 10 days on Elation (2 cruises) after that instead of Sensation, again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm surprised they haven't retired the Ecstasy. If it was any older it would be powered by steam.:)
I was actually pleasantly surprised by my cruise on the Ecstasy. She was well maintained, and since she's had some recent updates in appearance (now she's part old-style Carnival eyesore and part Breeze-style décor), I doubt she'll be the first of the Fantasy class to go.

Elation & Paradise are the youngest of the Fantasy class ships, so I wouldn't expect them to be the first ones to sell. Carnival could have put the new waterslide & resort style pool on these ships, but they chose not to. It's good to not have every single ship being clones of one another. People will keep coming back to different ships if they are actually different.

I would expect Fantasy to be sold first, but not sure after that. They may not go exactly by the date of the ship. Holiday cruises will pack out every ship, but the real test is how they do in the low-demand times. It seems to me that the Fantasy class ships overall don't do well in those times. You can get on those ships dirt cheap in those times.