Beach Glass

JDeanFan

I am curious as to how you will make your jewelry. Can you send pictures of your creations.

You can get the "raw" materials from a craft store. Once I get them cleaned up and set I will take a pic and attach here

My husband and I went to the Sea Glass Beach by King's Wharf, May 6. There was a lot of glass, even though we were not there at low tide. Found only specks of blue. Lots of browns, greens, whites and some bottle tops and pottery. Met a native who lives there and he said the beach usually gets blue glass only after a storm stirs up the sea. Wish we had been able to go to the St. Georges site but we were only there for 24 hours, docked at King's Wharf and couldn't fit it all in... Kudos to those of you who made it there.

My husband and I went to the Sea Glass Beach by King's Wharf, May 6. There was a lot of glass, even though we were not there at low tide. Found only specks of blue. Lots of browns, greens, whites and some bottle tops and pottery. Met a native who lives there and he said the beach usually gets blue glass only after a storm stirs up the sea. Wish we had been able to go to the St. Georges site but we were only there for 24 hours, docked at King's Wharf and couldn't fit it all in... Kudos to those of you who made it there.

So glad that you found the seaglass beach while at King's Wharf. Was it hard to find? Did you take the bus? How far from King's Wharf? We want to go there and also check out Horseshoe. Is it on the way? Thanks for whatever info you can give me. Can't wait! We will be there June 4th, but just for the day...Hope to fit in everything...

So glad that you found the seaglass beach while at King's Wharf. Was it hard to find? Did you take the bus? How far from King's Wharf? We want to go there and also check out Horseshoe. Is it on the way? Thanks for whatever info you can give me. Can't wait! We will be there June 4th, but just for the day...Hope to fit in everything...

I found these directions on this website. It was not far from the wharf, maybe a 5-10 minute drive from the ship. We took a cab there but you can take the bus too. We then caught the bus across from the apartments and went into Hamilton. This is what I followed with a few additional tips:

Get on the bus, please say good morning/after noon first, then tell the driver you would like to go to the glass beach.

Ask to be dropped at the Royal Naval Cemetary. If you are coming from the dockyard it will be on your left next to the Touched by God Ministries Church. Across the street is Alberts Row, 4 apartment buildings colored various shades of tourquois. At the end of each building is a sign saying Alberts Row number 1-4, or 5-8, 9-12, 13-16. In between apartments buildings 2 and 3 is a grassy yard for the cars. You can cut through there to the beach. There is a small road parraleling the beach between the cliff and the buildings. You need to walk towards the west and look for the concrete stairs on the left.

You could also go to the road that begins behind the first apartment building. The sign says Do Not Enter, this is for cars. You walk up the road to the staircase taking you to the beach where there is is so much sea glass on the beach, in the water and on the high water mark that it is just amazing. I really think there are thousands of pieces.

On the stairs, the seaglass has been incorporated into the stones and the walls. The patio at the bottom of the stairs also has tables and patio areas with the sea glass mixed into the designs. It is very interesting and imaginative. Just walking down the stairs to the patio is a hoot.

It's possible to walk, but I advise taking the bus because there aren't any good walking paths.

When I first asked the bus driver about the old NavalCemetery, he seemed confused. I said, "I think it's right on the outskirts of the dockyard" and then he knew what I meant.

You can take any bus that's going in that direction (we took the "Special", which usually goes right to the beaches), but make sure you let the bus driver know you'd like to get off at that stop. (I think it's the first stop.) You will know you are at the right stop because you see those 4 turquoise apartment buildings.

The bus stops (both pink and blue) are right outside these apartment buildings. When we wanted to return to the ship, DH was arguing that the dark blue pole we were standing at was not the return bus stop (there was no shelter so he was doubting) but a nice lady on her nearby porch shouted out, 'yes, you're at the right one!'

It is a small 'beach' and you can't really see it til you get down the stairs, but there was tons of sea glass, and my kids got lots of the blue type and even some 'rare' lavender, lol. They really enjoyed it; it was a fun adventure.

Hope that this helps. We didn't find the rare blue but did find lots a glass. We also met Collin who laid the sea glass in the concrete. He told us that the best time to find blue glass is after a storm when the sea has been stirred up.

Forgot to add that the sea glass beach is BEFORE you get to Horseshoe Beach when traveling from the Dockyard, King's Wharf. Check out the bus schedule for the bus # that will take you to Horseshoe. You can catch the bus across from the apartment buildings to take you to Horseshoe after you're done finding your glass. Or, check when it's low tide and if it fits the schedule better go to the Horseshoe beach first then hit Sea Glass beach at low tide on the way home, being certain to allow enough time to get back to the ship.

Just got back from Bermuda on the Norwegian Majesty. We docked at St. George's. There is a sea glass beach just 5 minutes taxi ride from the pier. We got off the ship the last morning at 7:30 am ... hired a cab ... went to the beach and scooped us a bunch of glass ... got back to the pier at 8:05 am.

Easy peasy ... you just have to make sure you are there at low tide.

~dianne

Question ... for those of you who are "doing" something with your glass (jewelry' date=' etc.) ... how are you "polishing" it? It's so much prettier with the "wet" look ... suggestions?[/quote']

This question came up last year and there didn't seem to be anyway short of possibly putting it in a rock tumbler.

Does anyone have a tide chart for 6-2 and 6-3?

Thanks!

Here's another site to check where you can get a 3 day report, and also check back on a number of years, to get average water and air temps for the time you'll be there. The tides are under Climatology Reports on the lower left.

http://www.bermudaweather.bm/

I found these directions on this website. It was not far from the wharf, maybe a 5-10 minute drive from the ship. We took a cab there but you can take the bus too. We then caught the bus across from the apartments and went into Hamilton. This is what I followed with a few additional tips:

Get on the bus, please say good morning/after noon first, then tell the driver you would like to go to the glass beach.

Ask to be dropped at the Royal Naval Cemetary. If you are coming from the dockyard it will be on your left next to the Touched by God Ministries Church. Across the street is Alberts Row, 4 apartment buildings colored various shades of tourquois. At the end of each building is a sign saying Alberts Row number 1-4, or 5-8, 9-12, 13-16. In between apartments buildings 2 and 3 is a grassy yard for the cars. You can cut through there to the beach. There is a small road parraleling the beach between the cliff and the buildings. You need to walk towards the west and look for the concrete stairs on the left.

You could also go to the road that begins behind the first apartment building. The sign says Do Not Enter, this is for cars. You walk up the road to the staircase taking you to the beach where there is is so much sea glass on the beach, in the water and on the high water mark that it is just amazing. I really think there are thousands of pieces.

On the stairs, the seaglass has been incorporated into the stones and the walls. The patio at the bottom of the stairs also has tables and patio areas with the sea glass mixed into the designs. It is very interesting and imaginative. Just walking down the stairs to the patio is a hoot.

It's possible to walk, but I advise taking the bus because there aren't any good walking paths.

When I first asked the bus driver about the old NavalCemetery, he seemed confused. I said, "I think it's right on the outskirts of the dockyard" and then he knew what I meant.

You can take any bus that's going in that direction (we took the "Special", which usually goes right to the beaches), but make sure you let the bus driver know you'd like to get off at that stop. (I think it's the first stop.) You will know you are at the right stop because you see those 4 turquoise apartment buildings.

The bus stops (both pink and blue) are right outside these apartment buildings. When we wanted to return to the ship, DH was arguing that the dark blue pole we were standing at was not the return bus stop (there was no shelter so he was doubting) but a nice lady on her nearby porch shouted out, 'yes, you're at the right one!'

It is a small 'beach' and you can't really see it til you get down the stairs, but there was tons of sea glass, and my kids got lots of the blue type and even some 'rare' lavender, lol. They really enjoyed it; it was a fun adventure.

Hope that this helps. We didn't find the rare blue but did find lots a glass. We also met Collin who laid the sea glass in the concrete. He told us that the best time to find blue glass is after a storm when the sea has been stirred up.

We got very little blue or clear. Lots of green but it's still pretty. Now i have to figure out what to do with it!

We just came back from doing a land vacation in Bermuda. We stayed in St George and took a nice walk up to the beach to look around for some glass. No blue or red but we did find some nice glass along with a few pieces of pottery. Since we were flying home we had to be a little more selective due to the airlines weight limits. Last time we were there we were on a cruise and picked up a lot.

It is best not to polish it..the etching of the glass show the age of it. Most pieces are close to 100 years old! We took some to the North America Sea Glass Festival last year to have it evaluated since it happened to be in our home state!

Wow! Thanks to you all for the info. We depart in 6 weeks for Bermuda on Majesty! It is so helpful that all this info and help is available on the web. Wish I had found out a smidge of this amount for our 1st cruise back in 2003. We probably could have utilized our time better then. Oh, it was still amazing to be in the caribbean!

One problem I've just started to ponder... we have to fly home from Baltimore... I'm so sure our bags are going to be over weight after this amazing trip to Bermuda.

Any suggestions on where/how to mail a box home on a Sunday in Baltimore? We are heading to the airport right from the ship. Yikes, might be a problem. Will they notice if I can hardly carry/drag my purse onto the plane? :)

It is best not to polish it..the etching of the glass show the age of it. Most pieces are close to 100 years old! We took some to the North America Sea Glass Festival last year to have it evaluated since it happened to be in our home state!

Really? The sea glass that rolls onto the shores of Bermuda can be close to 100 years old? I assumed it was fairly new ... :confused:

QUOTE:

... went to the beach and scooped us a bunch of glass ... got back to the pier at 8:05 am.

Easy peasy ... you just have to make sure you are there at low tide.

So, how much sea glass did you bring home? Did you get any nice colors? What have you done wth your glass?

I am hoping to find some nice colors to make some jewerly for myself and friends.

Kathy in Maine

So, how much sea glass did you bring home? Did you get any nice colors? What have you done wth your glass?

I am hoping to find some nice colors to make some jewerly for myself and friends.

Kathy in Maine

I got about 3/4 of a gallon ziplock bag full. Could certainly have gotten more, but I was concerned about luggage weight as we were flying home. When we got back to the ship, I washed all the glass in the sink and spread out a towel on the floor for the glass to dry before packeging into a ziplock baggie.

Got tons of clear (white), green and brown. Unfortunately no red or blue the day we were there. A few pieces of pottery.

One thing ... if you are not discerning, it's easy to bring along coral and shells. I was very careful to leave all these things behind in Bermuda ... ;)

I haven't done anything with the glass yet. DH wants to make jewelry. Right now my 7-yr old granddaughter has it ... she just loves going thru all the pieces. :)

Have fun!

~dianne

We were on the 5/24 sailing of the Dawn and were docked at the dockyards and i had found these directions to the beach by the cemetery - so we made a day of it - we went to warwick beach first and got our pink sand - one of the locals told us to go there instead of horseshoe - not crowded - and absolutely gorgeous - it's just a few stops past horseshoe - then on the way back we asked to be dropped off at the cemetery - bus driver didn't know where it was so pulled out our handy dandy map and we found it - we got off the bus and looked at each other and crossed the street to the apt buildings - i pulled out my directions and a woman popped her head out the door and asked if we were going to the seaglass beach and we said yes and she said, with a huge smile, go around the corner and down the stairs - sure enough it was that simple - like a previous poster had said there is a gentleman who is decorating the area - i have a pic of him at work but do not have access to it at the moment, but i will post it when i do - it was amazing - we filled gallon ziplock bags within minutes - thank goodness for cruisecritic!

I figured out what to do with my sea glass ... and I love it! I bought a clear glass lamp base and filled it a little ways up with the sea glass. What a great conversation piece ... :D Now I can enjoy it all day long ...

That's probably what I'll end up doing. I'm sure I'll wish I had gotten more so we'll definitely have to go back before too long!

That's probably what I'll end up doing. I'm sure I'll wish I had gotten more so we'll definitely have to go back before too long!

We definitely wish we had gotten more ... but flying back to the West Coast was the defining factor ... :o You're right ... we'll have to go back!

5/31 sailing on the Dawn...could not believe how much sea glass was at Alberts Row beach (I did confirm that the locals also call this beach Black Bay and Glass Bottle beach). Some areas had 3-4 inches deep...we did find shards of blue, nothing bigger...but lots and lots of green, amber, clear and terracotta pottery...we even dound a little piece of blue and white painted pottery...very very cool. We just planted our butts at the edge of the shore and collected all the glass we could carry away. Since we did not have to limit our luggage weight since we are from NYC, we took home two gallon zip locks full of glass.

Our bus driver was a little unsure of where we wanted to go, but he figured it out. The bus ride was no more than 10 minutes from the Dockyard.

I was not sure if my husband would enjoy collecting sea glass (I'm the one that plans our itinerary, he does the transportation planning: plane, car, hotel). I was so pleased that he got into it, actually finding most of the blue pieces. He was like a little kid and he is still talking about how much fun it was and how cool the beach is.

I'm going to take some and fill a pretty jar with it. I also took home some pink sand from Warwick Long Bay, which was just lovely. I saw some switchplates covered with sand and sea glass at the Craft Market and plan to try to recreate them at home. I'm also taking some of the smaller pieces and putting them in small tulle drawstring bags and giving them away as gifts.

Great experience! We loved Bermuda!

Archived