St. Peter and Paul Cathedral to downtown

bjohio

Am I correct in thinking that it is just a few blocks from the Cathedral to the main shopping and dining area in Charlotte Amalie and the walk is downhill?

We hope to attend Easter Mass and then walk to find a restaurant for lunch.

Does this sound doable walking?

Yes, St Peter and Paul is right in town. Are you asking about walking from the dock TO town? It is about a mile from Havensight.

We will probably take a cab from the dock to church, what I wondered about was the walk from the church to downtown. I had thought the church was a little ways from town and the walk was downhill about 2 blocks to get to town- just trying to confirm that.

It is about 3 blocks west of main shopping area and it's flat, not downhill.

What kind of lunch do you want? The Windward Passage Hotel may have an Easter Brunch. If they don't, it's a nice peaceful location with courtyard or air conditioned tablecloth dining. Gladys' Cafe is nice, but may be more hectic.

There are other places, of course, but few in town that would have that special Easter atmosphere. More casual and bar focus.

It is about 3 blocks west of main shopping area and it's flat, not downhill.

What kind of lunch do you want? The Windward Passage Hotel may have an Easter Brunch. If they don't, it's a nice peaceful location with courtyard or air conditioned tablecloth dining. Gladys' Cafe is nice, but may be more hectic.

There are other places, of course, but few in town that would have that special Easter atmosphere. More casual and bar focus.

Thanks for the information- should not be a problem to walk to town then. The restaurants we were thinking about for lunch were- Amalia Cafe, Big Kahuna Rum Shack or Beuchets Beer Garden. Any thoughts pro or con on these three? Is Glady's Cafe downtown also?

And the blocks are not "city block" length, actually a very short walk back down Main Street. If you go the other way, to Frenchtown, there may be Easter brunch at Hook, Line and Sinker or Bella Blu.

How far is Frenchtown from the church? Are you talking walkable or needing a cab? (We are healthy, but 73/74 yo).

Of the ones you mentioned, Amalia Cafe would be my choice. But you would need to find out if they are open on Easter Sunday... Hmm...about walking to Frenchtown...it is a block to the waterfront and then less than a flat 1/2 mile to the entrance. I think I would opt for a taxi if you have any questions. It can be pretty warm that time of year.

Of the ones you mentioned, Amalia Cafe would be my choice. But you would need to find out if they are open on Easter Sunday... Hmm...about walking to Frenchtown...it is a block to the waterfront and then less than a flat 1/2 mile to the entrance. I think I would opt for a taxi if you have any questions. It can be pretty warm that time of year.

What exactly is Frenchtown? I don't remember reading about it- is it a suburb of Charlotte Amalia? What would be there on a Sunday?

Frenchtown is a small community about 1/2 mile west of main shopping area. Known for its restaurants. Bella Blu has brunch Sat and Sun year round. Hook, Line & Sinker known for fish.

Amalia Cafe is a good choice, though, too.Beautiful courtyard setting.

Frenchtown is a small community about 1/2 mile west of main shopping area. Known for its restaurants. Bella Blu has brunch Sat and Sun year round. Hook, Line & Sinker known for fish.

Amalia Cafe is a good choice, though, too.Beautiful courtyard setting.

Thanks so much for your input- it is very helpful.

Edited by bjohio