Eclipse Photo Review - Feb. 15, 2015 Exotic Southern Carribean Cruise in Aqua Class

prim8keeper

Another interesting part of the S-class ships is always what the tree is in. This is probably tied with Silhouette as my favorite container for the tree. For those of you who are wondering, they water the tree through the tubes.

Looking down on the tree from above.

IMG_4767_zpshyl5dqq4.jpg

Looking up at the tree from below.

IMG_6403_zpslxtc2v4a.jpg

Various other shots of tree from different floors/locations.

IMG_8386_zpsiss3dtcv.jpg

IMG_8493_zpssyeisok7.jpg

IMG_8452_zpslnu1pftn.jpg

IMG_8497_zpsc9ua5mus.jpg

Full tree album.

Hi Karen, Our Elite coupon had a 20 item per bag limit as well. We each got a set of coupons so I guess you could say we had a limit of 40 items for the cruise. I don't remember if it specified if a pair of socks for example counted as one or two items. All I know it came in handy on or two week Eclipse cruise.

Toni

FYI: A pair of socks ( 2 socks) count as ONE item.

C

Thanks for the great review Tom. I am enjoying it! I had some friends on this cruise, so it is nice to hear more about it.

I also want to say I appreciate the links to the daily's and additional pictures...they are easily available for anyone who wants to look at them, but not cluttering up the review for anyone who doesn't!

That's a West Highland White Terrier, if you care. Had one growing up.

Thanks for sharing. I wasn't sure what type of dog it was. The detail work on it was extraordinary.

Thanks for the great review Tom. I am enjoying it! I had some friends on this cruise, so it is nice to hear more about it.

I also want to say I appreciate the links to the daily's and additional pictures...they are easily available for anyone who wants to look at them, but not cluttering up the review for anyone who doesn't!

Thanks!

Celebrity Today - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015

Featured Today - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015

Port Shopping Map - Barbados

Port Day Spa Specials

Following our one sea day we began our next five port days. Today we were in Bridgetown, Barbados. We have been to Barbados twice before, however we have always just gone to Carlisle Bay. Once to Harbour Lights and once to the Boatyard. This time we wanted to do something different so we booked the lunch cruise with Sail Calbaza. They came highly recommend by several of our friends. Eclipse arrived in port at 8 am however we didn't have to meet until 9 am outside the port building.

We woke up earlier than we expected too so we decided to go to breakfast in Blu. Since Blu opened at 7:30 am we had more than enough time. Afterwards we went back to our cabin and got ready for the day. We were downstairs ready to get off the ship around 8:40 am. Unfortunately we still could not disembark. In Barbados they were restocking supplies and as a result they had to load those on before guests could disembark. Then they let those going on the X excursions off first. This is where things really started to get a little ugly because people were becoming upset. At this point you had a back log of people trying to get off the ship so they could make their private excursions and it was being complicated by the fact that once you got off the ship they were forming huge lines for those going on the X excursions. They were putting them on the buses first. However, at the same time they had most of the sidewalk closed due to the supplies so you could only walk single file up on the wall. I was glad we had gone down slightly earlier than we expected since we didn't disembark until almost 9 am. We experienced something similar in Labadee last year on Silhouette and I have to say that time X didn't handle it all that well either. While I don't have the answer, I'm sure there is someone who could make it all more efficient. Maybe at least communicate to guests ahead of time disembarkation will be delayed? Its not like unloading (in Labadee) or loading (Barbados) supplies is an unexpected surprise.

Once we got to the port we checked in with the Calbaza rep and waited for the others to arrive. Obviously we were not the only ones who got held up a little. Once everyone arrived it was a quick 5 minute ride by van to the marina where Calbaza was waiting. As an FYI they now have two boats, however they still book up early so make sure to book early if you are interested. Today our group was on Calbaza I. Unfortunately in the morning there were on and off showers so I don't have many photos until our second snorkeling stop. Additionally, any photos without my logo were not taken by me. They were taken by the staff aboard Calbaza.

When we arrived they had slices of carrot cake and hot coffee waiting. As we began to sail out we got our first rain shower. Thankfully it cleared up as we made our way up the west coast towards the sea turtle stop. On the way they also served more snacks.

Our awesome group for the day minus a few people who were up front.

007_zpspm67jxmh.jpg

My DH in the water. He got some really good video footage of the sea turtles I'll try and post later.

036_zpsqjh8mrqp.jpg

052_zpsizai0t07.jpg

056_zpswdptilkw.jpg

068_zpsmxnh7sdo.jpg

After the stop where we swam with the sea turtles we moved to our second stop where there was a small reef. One great thing about being on a private excursion was that not only did we beat the ship excursions, there were also considerably less people on our catamaran.

IMG_6131_zps2cph0ulf.jpg

Our captain for the day hard at work.

IMG_6165_zpsdxzol9uw.jpg

The views our first stop. Not a bad place to spend part of the day. We were lucky in that we had the sun for the rest of the day.

IMG_6132_zpswdorq1w8.jpg

IMG_6140_zpsjwylkjmn.jpg

IMG_6142_zpsdeelisnc.jpg

In this photo you can see most of the group out snorkeling at our second stop.

IMG_6173_zpsbl8dz28f.jpg

While the others were out snorkeling I stayed on board taking photos and was hard at work sampling the drinks for everyone...

IMG_6170_zps4f9z5gux.jpg

They also served some more snacks.

IMG_6159_zpscvivvqjm.jpg

Below is some of what they saw while they were out snorkeling. They said it was pretty amazing in terms of how many/diversity of the fish that were present on the reef. In total they were out snorkeling for around 40 minutes.

119_zpsma24ab7a.jpg

137_zpsyn4hyufl.jpg

139_zpseq9lrrwx.jpg

Paradise...

IMG_6183_zps9q8msm8j.jpg

Once everyone was back on board we just sat around talking as they got lunch ready.

A photo of my DH.

IMG_6189_zpszmlssek4.jpg

We stayed at the second spot for a while and had lunch. After lunch there was also some more swimming and relaxing. However, eventually it was time to sail back.

IMG_6249_zpsapvkslo3.jpg

IMG_6257_zpse0uklzlw.jpg

IMG_6285_zpsfpyejjtm.jpg

Another hard day in paradise.

IMG_6276_zpstj6jy2nc.jpg

As we sailed towards the marina we passed by Eclipse along with the other three ships docked in port that day.

IMG_6328_zpshp8itpwu.jpg

Before we knew it, it was 2:30 pm and our time aboard Calbaza was over. A photo of the catamaran once we got off.

IMG_6374_zpsa6xwvfa8.jpg

From the marina it was another quick van ride back to the port. All in all it was a fantastic day. I would highly recommend Calbaza to anyone. As you saw, they take photos throughout the day and then send them to you. They also send you all the recipes for food you enjoyed throughout the day. I'm looking forward to sailing them again in December when we are back on Eclipse.

Once back at the port we wandered around to do a little shopping. Last year when we were in Barbados we came across a woman who was selling pottery that was made on the island and we wanted to find her again. Last year we purchased a tile with a flying fish on it and this year we purchased a sea turtle.

After wondering around the port and checking our email with the free port Wi-Fi we went back onto the ship. As usual we dropped off everything from the day in our cabin and then headed up to the Sunset bar for sail away.

The Royal Caribbean ship which was docked next to us.

IMG_6429_zpswzixx7dp.jpg

The Thompson and AIDA ships that were docked across from us.

IMG_6432_zpsmq5keu8i.jpg

IMG_6435_zps0lnpdczg.jpg

Because everyone needs a cocktail during sail away!

IMG_6441_zpsdgwg3ztp.jpg

The ships still in port as we headed out to sea.

IMG_6498_zpsv2zaxstu.jpg

You can find additional Barbados photos in this album.

After sail away we went back down to our cabin and got ready for dinner. Since we were ready early we decided to go to the Martini bar. It was at this point that I was finally able to try the 25th Anniversary martini. As an FYI this martini cost $14. I had to pay $1.18 to make up the difference from the premium package limit of $13. That said it was worth the price. It may not be for everyone, but I would suggest people try it none the less.

From there we went to dinner in Murano. We have done Murano several times on all of our cruises. While the food and service was very good I'm starting to fall out of love with this specialty restaurant. We have tried everything we want to try on the menu and the menu has not really been updated since we started sailing X in 2011. As usual I started with the scallop wellington and then had the Murano lobster. My DH started with the lobster bisque and then had the venison which he said was excellent. We followed our main course with the cheese course and then we both had the chocolate soufflé for dessert.

A few photos of Murano.

IMG_8420_zpspceftncl.jpg

IMG_8414_zpsbohnwiet.jpg

IMG_8409_zpsialaj4as.jpg

Additional Murano photos are in this album.

After dinner we caught the tail end of one of the shows. The show tonight was a violin duo. They were actually pretty good and I kind of wished we had gone to see the whole thing. I think it was the first time I went to a show on X and enjoyed it on some level. From there we stopped off at the Molecular for a post-show drink and to visit our favorite bartenders.

Finally we visited Cafe al Bacio and then decided to call it a night. We had another busy day ahead of us in St. Lucia. We were doing an island tour that I put together with all of our friends.

Tom,

I'm loving your review and seeing all the photos! You take beautiful pictures!

The Calabaza excursions was truly the best--great day on a beautiful catamaran and wonderful people to spend the day with. Snorkeling was excellent too!

Tom,

The Calabaza excursions was truly the best--great day on a beautiful catamaran and wonderful people to spend the day with. Snorkeling was excellent too!

Thanks Sharon! It was a great day. Too bad the rest of you wont be with us in December.

Tom,

I agree, Sharon. Calabaza was one of my all-time favorite excursions. We really enjoyed it, especially the time with you and Tom and Pete and Tom. Good food, good people, good drinks, good times. Playing in the water off the boat was fun, too. Next time I'll complete that backflip.

Larry

IMG_6328_zpshp8itpwu.jpg

Hi Tom,

You are doing a great job with your review, Took me too lunches to get caught up. It must be a captain's preference on how they dock their ships. We have been to Barbados twice on Equinox and both time just drove straight into the same spot as Eclipse while Eclipse's captain has her backed into her spot.

Looking forward to more.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hi Tom,

You are doing a great job with your review, Took me too lunches to get caught up. It must be a captain's preference on how they dock their ships. We have been to Barbados twice on Equinox and both time just drove straight into the same spot as Eclipse while Eclipse's captain has her backed into her spot.

Looking forward to more.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Thanks! I suspect how we docked had to do with where they could put the supplies. When we were on Equinox we docked where the AIDA ship was, however there were less ships in port. One thing we noticed on Eclipse was that we always seemed to be the last into port and the first to leave.

More updates will be coming soon! I've been tasked with planning a trip to England/France for next month very last minute for work/pleasure which is taking up all my time currently. I know, I know, its a hard life. :)

Celebrity Today - Monday, Feb 23, 2015

Featured Today - Monday, Feb 23, 2015

Shore Excursions

Port Shopping Map - St. Lucia

Celebrity Future Cruise Vacations

I set the alarm for 6 am on Monday. I wanted to get up early to take some photos as we came into St. Lucia. While I love to sleep in on vacation the results speak for themselves. There is something so peaceful about being up that early when no one else is around.

IMG_6506_zpsm9znxisv.jpg

IMG_6526_zpsbgdkd65g.jpg

IMG_6547_zpsyrxdrat4.jpg

IMG_6555_zpshwt8d7qi.jpg

IMG_6571_zpsdyf7cqsd.jpg

IMG_6574_zpshdsvzeqc.jpg

We were due to dock at 8 am so a little after 7 am I went back down to our cabin to get ready for the day. Today we had a group excursion planned with all of our friends. We were going to be doing a private full day island tour with Cosol St. Lucia Tours. Since we had to meet everyone around 8:30 am we decided to get room service for breakfast which we ate out on our balcony. You couldn't beat the views as we came into port.

IMG_6586_zpscozignlv.jpg

IMG_6592_zpskvwp4yuc.jpg

The actual tour started at 9 am and our guide met us promptly down in the port area. From there we walked to our bus for the day and we were off.

IMG_6596_zpshln2a8rf.jpg

From the port we drove through downtown Castries stopping briefly at the Morne Fortune which gives you a great view of your ship in port.

IMG_6598_zpsp5rvkhnk.jpg

From here we carried on through downtown towards our first stop of the day which was a banana plantation. Bananas are a big export crop on St. Lucia with most being sent to England. At the banana plantation our guide explained how the bananas are grown/harvested and we all got a banana. I forget the exact variety of banana we tried, they grow several, however she said it was supposed to be sweeter than the type sent to the US. While it was very good, we didn't notice a huge difference.

IMG_6604_zpsoohwqddn.jpg

IMG_6619_zpsko34agc0.jpg

After the banana plantation we stopped several other times at various overlooks, etc. while our guide told us about the island along the way.

IMG_6634_zpsl7otnalu.jpg

IMG_6642_zpsx7vwwllj.jpg

IMG_6650_zpscizktaz9.jpg

IMG_6654_zpsmeg127ro.jpg

After our second stop we stopped for breakfast. They had a huge variety of items for us to try, most local to the island. You also had your choice of beverage. Since we were in the Caribbean I went with the rum punch.

One big thing they told us all to try was bread fruit (photo below). It was ok, but I wont be in a huge rush to try it again. My favorite item was the passion fruit. I had never eaten it fresh like that before.

IMG_6657_zpsqled0owz.jpg

Initially it was just cloudy but as we made our way towards Soufriere we began to encounter rain off and on. As a result there are gaps where I do not have photos including the Piton over look stop. :(

By the time we got into Soufriere there was a full on downpour. It was during this time that we were supposed to get on the speed boat to head over to jalousie beach which is situated between the Pitons. Due the rain about half of our group decided to stay behind at a restaurant which was right by the dock. By the time we got over to jalousie beach it was sunny again. We were soaked though.

This stretch of beach is also home to Sugar Beach which is a Viceroy resort. This is the only beach on the island with white sand that they have to bring in. All the other beaches are black sand beaches due to the fact that island is volcanic. I wondered on the side with the resort which is where I took the photos below. For those of us on the various excursions there was a much smaller area that wasn't as nice. It was closer to the snorkeling area though.

IMG_6667_zpskmrsyzes.jpg

IMG_6668_zpsn8prmzud.jpg

IMG_6670_zpsfu6fhj5y.jpg

IMG_6672_zpsu5v1r770.jpg

IMG_6675_zps06zga8te.jpg

IMG_6679_zpssgib9vbt.jpg

While I didn't get into the water my DH did go snorkeling and said it was fantastic considering the size and how much traffic there was on the water near by. By the time it was time for us to head back it began to rain again. Thankfully by the time we got back to Soufriere it had stopped. Prior to getting back on the bus they also gave us a shot of spiced rum which was much appreciated.

Edited by prim8keeper

From here we headed to the Sulphur Springs. This is the location of the black water pools and the extinct volcano. Unfortunately you had to choose one or the other. Since we are going to be back in St. Lucia we decided to go on the brief tour where they talk about the volcano.

IMG_6680_zpsu3inzf6r.jpg

IMG_6687_zpsw8agaclg.jpg

The guide explaining about the tectonic plates.

IMG_6693_zpsemctorat.jpg

IMG_6703_zpshpbobvnl.jpg

IMG_6706_zps1xh8fuvq.jpg

There were also hot water springs which are used by the locals.

IMG_6711_zpsnbcisj1i.jpg

From here we made our way to the Toraille waterfall and botanical gardens. Several of our friends who had gone into the black water pools went into the waterfall to continue the process of rinsing off.

IMG_6725_zpsotrvz1s6.jpg

IMG_6746_zps05zqd1hd.jpg

IMG_6727_zpslvwzwq80.jpg

About half way through our time at the waterfall and botanical gardens it began to rain again. It appeared as though we were not going to stay dry today.

Marigo Bay was our final stop of the day and from here we began to make our way back to Castries. Its a natural harbor and was the location for the movie Dr. Doolittle.

IMG_6756_zpsaehjaifk.jpg

From this point there were only a few more brief stops so we could take photos from the van.

IMG_6769_zpsntrvuhrj.jpg

We also stopped briefly for lunch which was fresh bread and cheese on our way back to port. Both were very good. One word of warning: you spend a lot of time driving on bending roads that go up and down over the mountains so if you get car sick you will want to take something before you go. Even some of our friends who do not usually get car sick were starting to feel it.

We got back to the port around 3 pm.

Once again it started to rain as it had been doing all day. Due to the rain we decided to look around in some of the stores until it passed. This is when we stumbled upon a store which sold a variety of local rums. The best part though was they had free samples! We did all 8 samples and ended up buying two bottles of unusual rum I wouldn't have bought otherwise. The first was a peanut rum cream and the second was a coconut rum mix. After making our purchases we headed back to the ship.

Once we were back on the ship we headed straight to Cafe al Bacio to get a warm drink. While it was warm in St. Lucia it was only in the 70's so between that and being wet it felt cold. Its ok, I can say that. Even the Canadians said it felt cold! From there we ventured back up to our room to drop off all of our stuff. We quickly changed into some dry clothes and then decided to head up to the Sunset bar for sail away.

A view of the port shopping area as we began to pull away.

IMG_6846_zpsftrmzp1u.jpg

Next to the port was a small airport which is only used for flights between the islands.

IMG_6878_zps6ffr6jyk.jpg

IMG_6899_zpsufhmv7ng.jpg

A few minutes after pulling out we noticed that we were slowing down and we saw the pilot boat coming out towards us.

IMG_6934_zps9i75rayi.jpg

Eventually we came to a complete stop so the pilot boat could pull up next to us and two people could get on. I don't know who they were.

IMG_6961_zps71alezwm.jpg

Once they were on board we started up again and headed out to sea.

IMG_6962_zpsip2h1qbe.jpg

IMG_6967_zps6d77mhao.jpg