Looking to book

SailsHigh

There are many options when you switch from mainstream lines. Rather than ask us for reasons I would suggest that you do a 'needs' analysis and then see which line meets your wants.

If you want to cruise in FP then the PG should be your first choice but if you are interested in cruising elsewhere then would suggest you look at both premium and luxury lines.

Emdee is right about the needs analysis. For example, for me open seating for dinner is important: I don't want to have to eat at the same time and with the same people every night . Instead Wendy and I often show up whenever we show up and decide on the spot whether to eat alone or meet some new folks. This is not a luxury vs. mass-market issue: some luxury lines (i.e. Crystal) have fixed seating, and some premium but not luxury lines (i.e. Oceania) have open seating. And this issue is not really a deal breaker for me, but is high on my list.

That said, for me the PG checks all the right boxes on my list of what I want from a cruise. Your mileage may vary ....

David makes some good points. Open seating and country club casual should be in the mix when you decide.

If it's just the size of the mega ships that you don't like then you can consider some of the Princess and Holland smaller ships without being in the premium or luxury range.

However if you are looking for all inclusive or somewhat all inclusive then it's a different story.

We love Crystal and are even willing to suffer the formal dress and fixed seating for the superlative food.

Of course the PG is much loved by us.

I've never sailed Windstar, but I priced it and PG was a better value when you consider airfare and everything else that's included. Princess has scaled back on FP significantly.

I've never sailed Windstar, but I priced it and PG was a better value when you consider airfare and everything else that's included.

The term "better value" really depends on the individual. For some folks, a mass-market line is better, for others a luxury line is better. So a blanket statement "XX is a better value than YY" really doesn't help other people very much. Saying why XX is a better value than YY for you, however, can often be helpful.