Island princess - Ethernet cable?

CruzinGma

Will be doing Transatlantic on Island in March. We will be using wi-if. Do we need to bring an Ethernet cable if we want to use I pad in our cabin?

There are no RJ45 ports for using an Ethernet cable. It's only WiFi.

Edited by Thrak

The quick answer is no.

There is WiFi throughout the ship and in your cabin. There are no Ethernet connections in the cabins.

Generally the WiFi signal strength may vary in various parts of the ship. depending on the ship's location upload and download speeds may be very slow.

No. You just need to bring your iPad and charger. The iPad connects to the WiFi so you'll need to purchase an Internet package as WiFi is via satellite and isn't free.

Just like at home, go to Settings, turn on WiFi (don't turn off Airplane mode) and select the ship's WiFi. A log-in page will pop up. Fill out your first name, last name, cabin # and birthdate, then a password, and you'll be connected.

Turning off the iPad will not log you out of the ship's Internet and you'll continue to use minutes. Type "logout.com" or "1.1.1.1" in the address bar to log out.

I used my ipad from cabin E609 on the Island (just off). The signal strength was good (as in full bars) and I had no problem connecting or using voice only facetime. The video wasn't good and kept crapping out, although I did see other people using video chat by the elevators. The speed was about the same as the internet café, but I didn't have to wait for a computer. Keep in mind that like everyone else has said, the speed is VERY slow and expensive. I would login, update email, log out, then reply and view the messages, login again and upload the replies. I could login pickup email and logout in about 5 minutes thus preserving time. Early morning seem the best time as there were not many people using the internet. Don't send expect to update any apps or send any attachments or photos. And remember to logout at the end with typing logout.com in safari, or time will continue to tick on.

Oddly, even when I wasn't logged in, notifications still came into my ipad. I also noticed that after logging out, I was still connected to the internet for about 2-3 minutes for some extra surfing.