How late can you embark...

chrismch

Our next cruise starts as a two-day port in Quebec. I know we have to be on ship a minimum of 90 minutes before the ship actually leaves, but how late can someone arrive on day 1 and staff will be there to check passengers in? Do they close down at 5 pm? How late are porters there handling luggage?

Our next cruise starts as a two-day port in Quebec. I know we have to be on ship a minimum of 90 minutes before the ship actually leaves, but how late can someone arrive on day 1 and staff will be there to check passengers in? Do they close down at 5 pm? How late are porters there handling luggage?

I did that cruise in June of 2014. My experience with checking in late was that it was very easy.

A couple of things to watch out for -

There were no porters, and basically no one around to ask for information.

I arrived at the ship around 9pm.

My cab driver took me to an area that provided access directly to the ship and told me to go that way. I started out and looked up and saw the jetway. Then I knew that I had to find the entrance to the building.

Once I found the entrance, there was a person that checked my paperwork, then let me proceed. Another check at the beginning of the jetway, then at the actual entrance to the ship.

Once I boarded the ship a crew member took my bag to the cabin.

I then went to the front desk and checked in without a problem.

I know we have to be on ship a minimum of 90 minutes before the ship actually leaves,
That's a common misconception. When embarking in US ports your information has to be on board 90 minutes before departure, but you only have to be on board before the life boat drill, which is ordinarily 45 minutes before departure.

From Know Before You Go:

U.S. government security regulations require us to submit certain guest information to law enforcement authorities at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this requirement, we must have the necessary information in our records at least 90 minutes prior to departure. If we do not have your information by this deadline, you will be unable to sail. Guests are urged to complete the Online Check-in process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at the terminal before the vessel leaves.

In most foreign ports the on-board time is much shorter. When we did an overnight in Barcelona prior to a Prinsendam T-A in 2013, the on-board time on sailing day was 3:30p and the ship sailed earlier than scheduled, at 3:45. In that case we were joining the ship for the last segment of a Grand Voyage, so there were only about 50 of us that had to do the lifeboat drill.

In Aug 2014 after an overnight in Copenhagen our on-board time on sailing day was 3:00p, the lifeboat drill was at 3:15, and we sailed at 4:00.

Edited by jtl513