couple of questions

nunuc2000

A friend is cruising on the Wonder this summer in Alaska. Although I've been able to help with a lot of generic cruising questions, there's a few specific to Disney that I couldn't answer... hoping you can all assist. :)

• What complimentary beverages are included in the dining room? Milk? Juice.. if so, what kinds? Soda? Hot chocolate?
  • What complimentary beverages are available in the buffet or other self serve areas?
  • Does the Wonder have a channel on the in-room tvs that features a live shot of the bow or pool deck? The reason I ask is that on Carnival ships, if you are staying in an inside room, you can mute the tv and have it tuned into the bow camera so you know if it's dark out or daylight.
  • Carnival and Princess allow certain types of power strips, including the one I use: Belkin 3 plug, 2 USB, surge protector. Is it true that Disney will confiscate those?

Very much appreciate any assistance that is offered in regards to these questions, or anything else specific to Disney that might be helpful.

Thanks,

Celine

• What complimentary beverages are included in the dining room? Milk? Juice.. if so, what kinds? Soda? Hot chocolate?
  • In the dining rooms, all beverages, except for alcohol, smoothies, specialty coffees, and mock-tails are not free. I believe they have the normal juices, apple, orange, cranberry. I am not a huge juice drinker, so hopefully someone else can chime in on that. I believe hot chocolate is free at the MDR's.
  • What complimentary beverages are available in the buffet or other self serve areas?
  • Sodas are free in the MDR's, as well as the buffet. There is also a drink station with the soda's on an upper deck, this is available all the time. Disney carries coke products. I do not think you can have soda delivered by room service, they will bring you cans and charge for it. Sodas are also charged for in the bars. There is also Cove Cafe for adults (those over 18), and they do not charge for coffee, but will for specialty coffee drinks.

• Does the Wonder have a channel on the in-room tvs that features a live shot of the bow or pool deck? The reason I ask is that on Carnival ships, if you are staying in an inside room, you can mute the tv and have it tuned into the bow camera so you know if it's dark out or daylight.
  • Yes. Disney has many more channels than what the Carnival ship did when last I sailed Carnival. Of course, nothing compares to the newer ships which feature any movie ever made by Disney or an affiliate.
  • Carnival and Princess allow certain types of power strips, including the one I use: Belkin 3 plug, 2 USB, surge protector. Is it true that Disney will confiscate those?
  • Yes, I guess there have been fire issues, which means safety. I have heard that you can possibly get one from guest services, but a deposit is required.

• Honestly, I have never needed one on a Disney ship, I do not know how many things people are trying to plus in at once, but we typically have extra outlets available. It was an issue on Carnival, but we just took turns on who got to charge something. The staterooms on the Disney ships tend to just be better (when comparing actual same class of room) than on the other lines.

Much as above...

Complimentary juices include apple, cranberry, orange, V-8, tomato, and probably more. Hot chocolate is complimentary at the beverage station, dining rooms, and room service. Coke products are fountain service and complimentary in the dining rooms and beverage station. Any soda in a can will be charged, no matter where it comes from --bar, roaming server, room service, etc. Fountain service sodas are complimentary. Milk is complimentary everywhere. 2% is at the beverage station, but skim, whole, 2%, chocolate, etc. are available in dining rooms and from room service.

Beverage station also has tea and coffee. As noted, coffee from Cove Cafe is complimentary, but specialty cofffees there have a charge (like starbucks stuff).

Yes, there is a view from the bridge channel and you can set it to mute and use it to see if it is light outside yet.

DCL's written rules say no power strips. They don't go into detail on brands or exactly what is allowed. We brought one not knowing the rules, and it was not removed from our checked luggage. "Confiscated" means that you'll get it back at the end of the cruise. Yes, you can "borrow" an approved one from Guest Services with a $50 deposit put on your KTTW card and removed when it is returned. Hint--there are 2 outlets behind the TV. If you just rotate devices, you'll probably be fine.

We have stopped taking a power strip on DCL cruises. We have found that the three plugs on the desk are adequate for all our needs - laptop, iPad, 2 iPhones, iTouch, and my shaver. Just rotated the devices as needed. Two of the plugs are standard US 110 plugs; the third (unplug the ships wave phones we never used) is a circular two pronged European plug. A 2 US flat prong to 2 European round prong converter can be purchased for about a dollar. The third plug may be 220 (I am not sure), but all our devices work on both 110 and 220.

In my oceanview cabin...

• two plugs at the desk. Note these plugs are VERY close to one another. Once one item is plugged in, the second plug is unusable.
  • two behind the TV. You need to unplug the TV if you want to use both plugs
  • two in the bathroom for the shaver

I hear some of the upper deck cabins have a clock radio.... these are additional plug opportunities.

I think all my Alaska plugs were 120v.

I love my power bars too, but avoid them on DCL because of the searches.

Edited by xlxo

In my oceanview cabin...

• two plugs at the desk. Note these plugs are VERY close to one another. Once one item is plugged in, the second plug is unusable.
  • two behind the TV. You need to unplug the TV if you want to use both plugs
  • two in the bathroom for the shaver

I hear some of the upper deck cabins have a clock radio.... these are additional plug opportunities.

I think all my Alaska plugs were 120v.

I love my power bars too, but avoid them on DCL because of the searches.

Speaking of a clock radio, I had one on a nightstand for both my last trip on the Wonder (deck 2 standard inside, in 2014) and on the Magic (deck 1 deluxe inside, in 2012). So you might get one even not in an upper deck cabin. I did not try to unplug it and use the outlet for something else.

As previously mentioned, the two outlets at the desk are annoyingly close together. If your wave phone charger is plugged in, that will block the second outlet. If you have two narrow plugs, you might be able to unplug the wave phone charger and use both outlets. (Also, a bit off topic, but it does not seem to be possible to charge both of the wave phones, provided in each cabin, at the same time.)

[[*]Carnival and Princess allow certain types of power strips, including the one I use: Belkin 3 plug, 2 USB, surge protector. Is it true that Disney will confiscate those?

Thanks,

Celine

You may have used the Belkin onboard Carnival and Princess, but that is because it does not appear like a power strip when luggage is scanned. As you note that you are aware the Belkin is a surge protector, these are the types of power strips that are the most hazardous and the most frequently confiscated. Here is the USCG Safety Alert concerning the dangers of using a surge protector onboard ships:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/csncoe/docs/safety%20alerts/USCG%20Marine%20Safety%20Alert%2003-13%20Surge%20Protective%20Devices%20Onboard%20Vessels.pdf

Thanks for all the helpful answers, everyone, and for the assurance that there should be ample outlets available for use in the cabins.

I'm sure my friend and her family are going to have a "Wonder"derful time on their cruise! :D