Taxis at the pier

I will be on the Grand Princess docking in St. Petersburg 7/2. I've read that the distance from the ship to the gate is 3 miles!!, and the taxis aren't allowed in the dock area. For those of you who have used taxis to return to the ship, what was your experience? Did you have to trek the 3 miles each way?

Thanks,

Kathy

You had better investigate this more. I have been told that you have no way to get out of the guarded port area unless on a tour (either with the ship's tours or a Russian tour). The Russians count the number of people exiting at the gate on busses and make sure the same number of people get back in. Taxis are out of the question by the ship.

We are leaving the ship with a tour (Red October), but also have Russian visas so we can sightsee on our own, which is allowed. I know people have traveled on shore independently with taxis. I just wanted to know how people got from the gate back to the ship. It seems some taxis are licensed to enter the dock area, and some are not. Customs certainly is going to keep tabs on everyone, and if you DON'T have a Russian visa, you better be on a tour bus, leaving and returning.

Kathy

Hi Kathy...Am on 6/29 Regatta so haven't done it yet but am assured by our independant guide that there are shuttle busses from Pier to Port Gate about every 1/2 hour, as well as taxis. Only problem might be late at night, in which case I'm sure RO can help you out. Good luck!

Thanks, bookbag... I noticed you live in Lafayette. I live in Danville. Small world. I know there is more than one docking area. One is closer to city center, and seems to have more transportation activity than the other. I hope we're talking about the same dock. Do you know where the Regatta docks?

Kathy

We were in St Petersburg last summer. With a visa you can get into the city without being with a tour. The "cabs" are just guys with cars hanging around the pier. The 2 mile ride is anywhere from $5 to $10. The hard part is finding someone to take you back!

Jim

I've been told that we will not get the actual pier number in St.P until the night before docking but that all will lead to the same port gate, tho the area is huge. Sorry i don't have better info for you. Email me, neighbor, at jamieney@aol.com, if you like. Bon voyage!

Bookbag,

If you dock where we did on the Voyager last year, you won't need pier number.The ships park in the same general area. I am aware of two piers (THERE COULD BE MANY MORE, just don't know.) The one where Voyager docked last year was the commercial pier that was located about two miles from the checkpoint(gate) to get into the city. As stated above there are busses every 30 minutes and some cabs available to take you to the checkpoint. There is a small bldg by the ship where you show your passport and visa, if necessary. You show docs again at the main gate if you are "on your own." BTW there is also a small tourist gift shop on the pier. The prices weren't bad!

While touring the city we found a cruise ship pier in the middle of town. If you are fortunate enough to dock there, YOU WIN!

Either way, you should bring US and Russian funds. You will need a few rubles to get into museums, buy camera permits, and go to the bathroom. Dollars seemed to work for everything else...especially tips. In the shops and restaurants we used credit cards.

Archived