We are finally home...thanks for the prayers

cosmo cruiser

All I can say is wow. You are a very strong person wit,h a strong fighter of a husband. We are fellow Hoosiers - what city are you in?

Thank you for sharing something so personal,and may you get the rest you deserve and a speedy recovery to your husband. Thoughts with you.

On a lighter note - I bet that waiter running was burning the rubber tires getting him there the fastest way for him. Do you think Carnival updated the ship team, I know they usually don't post medical for privacy reasons, but I am sure they are wondering.

First off, you had quite an ordeal and I'm so happy your DH is doing well. I just can't imagine going through what you did. Half of the assurance is the insurance:

You have made a believer out of a lot of people by what you said above. On our cruise to Hawaii in January, we had 5 people pass away on our cruise and all of them were heart attacks. One man was only 54 years old. So, it does not matter your age, things could happen that could leave you penniless without the insurance.

May you and your husband enjoy many more cruises together. Life is precious.

Elliair, five people died on one cruise???

I am a Nursing Tech at a rehab unit in a hospital and I help people just like your husband get back to their everyday life. So often they have gone through things just like your husband has and they are so weak. It's always so touching to see people improve and go home.

I am so happy to hear your husband is doing better! God bless you and him and never stop fighting!

Edited by kelkel2

My goodness! Thank you for sharing your story.

Praying your dear husband makes a full recovery and will be 100% long before your fall cruise.

Do you mind me asking if your travel insurance was through Carnival? That's what we always purchase the day we book a cruise.

Yes we booked it thru Carnival. Years ago when we first started cruising the coverage thru Carnival wasnt' as good so I always bought thru insuremytrip.com. In the last few years Carnival has improved the coverage they offer and I always book it thru them now at the same time I book a cruise. It is easier and the coverage meets our needs. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes.

What a beautifully written update . So glad dh is on the road to recovery. And thankfully you did have trip insurance. I buy it within an hour of booking a cruise. Have used it twice so far- but not for anything nearly as catastrophic as you went through. Continued well-wishes for a speedy recovery sent your way!!p.s.- you may want to post this on Carnival Funville site, and send it to Customer Care dept. at Carnival. I am sure they get more complaints than compliments on cruise matters!

Thank you for the suggestions. I hadn't considered doing that but I like the idea and will do it as soon as possible.:)

We were on this cruise and I have video of the evacuation if you would like to have it I can send it to you via email ..my prayers with you and your family always ..

That is amazing and we would LOVE to have the video. I have had co-workers ask me if I took pictures while he was being taken off the ship............well duh.....NO I was a little preoccupied at the time and scared to death so I didn't think to whip out my camera.

If you would be willing to share the video we would appreciate it very much. You can e-mail it to cosmo.cruiser@hotmail.com if you would be so kind. Thank you for offering to share this. I am sure our kids and grandkids would love to see it as well.

What a nightmare but thankfully a good ending. We always take out insurance the way we see it if we are spending over 2k plus for a cruise what is another $180, surely to just have that peace of mind and the fact if we need it we have it is all worth it, glad you had it too!

Its a good thing you didn't go on the Glory this week, a 21 year old young man went overboard and as far as I know which was two day later after he jumped (camera's were used to confirm) he wasn't found, surely a depressing cruise for all those passengers. Sometimes things happen for a reason. Happy cruising.

How very sad. We will add his family to our prayers. I too believe everything happens for a reason, we just don't always know what the reason is. We would have started the trip on the Glory with a cancelled flight to Miami as well. We were not able to cancel our flights (I didn't buy the extra airline coverage for our plane tickets because I had vacation protection already) and I was sitting at the hospital on Friday getting notifications that our flight was delayed, delayed, and finally cancelled at 2am. It was not meant for us to be on the Glory this week from all indications. However we still feel 100% blessed and thankful.

All I can say is wow. You are a very strong person wit,h a strong fighter of a husband. We are fellow Hoosiers - what city are you in?

Thank you for sharing something so personal,and may you get the rest you deserve and a speedy recovery to your husband. Thoughts with you.

On a lighter note - I bet that waiter running was burning the rubber tires getting him there the fastest way for him. Do you think Carnival updated the ship team, I know they usually don't post medical for privacy reasons, but I am sure they are wondering.

We are from Auburn and are quite often in your neck of the woods as we have friends in the Indy area.

YES the waiter was running so fast I had to take off my heals, hike up my dress and run at (my) top speed to even try to keep up with them. That young man gave it his all and I really appreciated it.

One of the services of the ON-Call team is they call you everyday to check on the patients progress and to make sure I (the family) doesn't need anything. It was a connection that I came to rely on each day. Most days the same person calls you and over the length of time we were there I felt like we got to know each other. Carnival also called every few days to see if we needed anything and to check on his progress. One of the times Carnival called I asked them to get a message to the infirmary staff and the crew to let them know how he was doing and to express our thanks. The person on the phone assured me that because I asked that they be updated he would be able to do that for us. I can only assume that he did in fact contact them. He said he would be undating them via e-mail. I plan to send many personal thank yous, soon, I just haven't had a chance to do so yet, but I will.

I'm so glad that your husband is stable and in rehab. Your story is truly amazing and thank you for sharing. Prayers for his complete recovery. One question I have is if the med evac flight was paid for by your carnival insurance or you had separate insurance for that flight.

Thank you for sharing this scary/wonderful story. I hope your hubby continues to improve. And thank you most of all for the reminder (Guilty) that travel insurance...Its just a 4 day cruise...What could happen????

We just bought travel insurance for an upcoming 5 day cruise. Cost of insurance... $50. Your story reminds us all that it should be part of the cost of every cruise you ever take!

Cosmo crusier, what an amazing story. You sound like a strong person, and that will be very helpful in your husband's journey to a full recovery. My prayers are truly with you and your husband. Look out for your own mental healthcare and physical health as well...Stay strong....

WOW.....so glad that your hubby is well on his way to recovery. I, myself never knew how much the infirmary could do but sounds like no matter what, they go above and beyond. Despite the whole situation, I am glad that everyone was so helpful to you and especially your husband.

Prayers that your husband makes complete recovery. THANKS for posting this so people see that Carnival, and I'm sure other cruise lines, has very good medical care. Didn't know about trip insurance on our first cruise, but have purchased it on our others cause like you say, never know when it's needed.

So glad to hear that your husband is doing well. Prayers for continued recovery and that both of you will be on your upcoming cruise in September.

We are in our early 40's and in good health. Exercise regularly and eat healthy and we have never purchased travel insurance. That will change after reading your story. I have never thought we needed it as our own insurance would pay, but after reading your story I see that it is necessary. We have a cruise booked on the Glory in April and I will check in to insurance today.

Happy to hear there is improvement in your husbands condition. Prayers for a speedy recovery. I do have to agree that the medical dept is a behind the scenes department until you need them. Although a minor condition i had while on the Splendor top notch care and concern. Even after I had left the ship in San Juan the nurse passed me on the street and whispered " how are you doing?" Its nice to know that everyone is there if and when you need them. God speed.

Yes we booked it thru Carnival. Years ago when we first started cruising the coverage thru Carnival wasnt' as good so I always bought thru insuremytrip.com. In the last few years Carnival has improved the coverage they offer and I always book it thru them now at the same time I book a cruise. It is easier and the coverage meets our needs. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes.

Thank you. 11 cruises and we've always purchased the insurance through Carnival, but fortunately, never had to use it. It comforts me to know the specifics of what was covered by this insurance. Thank you again for sharing.

I'm glad that things are working out. Thanks for updating us all. We always have insurance. At this point we don't have to buy it but will do in the future if we have to. My husbands company here in Canada has travel insurance as part of his package and I also use my one credit card that gives us travel insurance as well.

tigercat

Happy to hear your husband is doing much better! Please take care of yourself as well.

So happy that you had insurance for the cruise...... We did one without insurance and I worried the whole time, never again will I do that. Especially after reading your horrible story WE WILL always cruise with insurance.

May your husband continue to improve and be well and please take care of you as well.

I'll send it to you when I get home from school.

That is amazing and we would LOVE to have the video. I have had co-workers ask me if I took pictures while he was being taken off the ship............well duh.....NO I was a little preoccupied at the time and scared to death so I didn't think to whip out my camera.

If you would be willing to share the video we would appreciate it very much. You can e-mail it to cosmo.cruiser@hotmail.com if you would be so kind. Thank you for offering to share this. I am sure our kids and grandkids would love to see it as well.