Revised - 4 Day Itinerary Anchorage with Kid

silly2003

Lots of helpful information from cruisers. Thank you so much. I have junked my first itinerary and replaced it with things recommended here or from a couple of websites that talk about things to do with kids in Anchorage.

This is a trip that will be the last days of June and the first days of July with a just turned 8 year old.

I then created a google map and plotted the location of all the places in and around Anchorage, Palmer, Willow, Seward, Girdwood, Whittier and various other places.

https://www.google.com/maps/@60.8539664,-148.7860871,7z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!6m1!1szU8Su3CzEOPw.kExDr8bYwMmk

Then I decided that some of the most recommended things to do were on the way to Whittier. So I decided to prioritize things that were near each other and I ended up with 2 days in Anchorage and 2 days on the road to Whittier (around Girdwood).

The things on our list in Anchorage to see (some or all) are:

The Alaska Zoo.

The Anchorage Museum

Ship Creek - see salmon running

Alaska Aviation Museum

Alaska Native Heritage Center

Tony Knowles Coastal Trail

We probably can't see all of them, but this is my (current) top list of things to see while in town.

Then I chose 2 days on the road to Whittier and the things on this list are:

Potter Marsh Bird Sanctuary

Aleyska Resort

Ride The Tram.

Byron Glacier. Hike

Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.

Begich Boggs Visitor Center

Portage Glacier Cruise 1 hour

I have not decided if we want to stay our whole time in Anchorage and commute for 2 days to the Girdwood area or stay in Girdwood for 2 nights.

I'm leaning toward staying in Anchorage the whole time, then we can choose things to do best suited for the weather on the particular day.

I got rid of Seward and dog carts and a 4 hour boat cruise. I'm hoping these things are much more kid friendly. I think from what someone else just posted, that taking the tram across Winner Creek would be a winner. I don't think we would hike it, just do the hand tram, which I suspect an 8 year old would love.

Does anyone know how far the hand tram is from the beginning of the trail?

Any comments on the revised and completely updated 4 day itinerary. We have not decided whether to keep the car and drive to Whittier or get the transfer from the cruise line. Right now I'm keeping that open.

I would keep reworking your plans.

Is your son involved in this planning? Has you looked at Mat Su? I don't know too many kids who wouldn't get a thrill out of glacier trekking, as an example. Independence Mine is interesting, a look and short tour, of the Eklutna Spirit Houses, Knik glacier activities?? All easy day trips out of Anchorage. Cheap sled dog cart ride and look at the Sled Dog Headquarters?

I posted more information about the winner creek hand tram on the other thread...we did the 1 mile walk each way from Crow Creek Rd.

We actually found more lodging choices (for the price) in Girdwood because it is built up for the ski area.