FLL hotel, then POM in the morning

Kristi1357

Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel? We don't need to be near the port. Since we are really only sleeping in the hotel, proximity to the beach or other sights isn't a concern. A pool and breakfast incl. are a plus, but not necessary.

I work in a school, so I am unable to take Friday off from work. Our group will probably fly down early Friday. I will have to pay through the nose to fly down Friday evening and join them. We always fly Southwest, so we will be flying in/out of FLL for our Miami cruise. Since I will most likely be joining the group rather late Friday, I think staying in FLL is the best route. Then we can all travel to POM in the morning together.

Also, is it easier to just take a cab(s) from a FLL hotel to the port of Miami, or are the shuttle services better?

Edited by Kristi1357

Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel? We don't need to be near the port. Since we are really only sleeping in the hotel, proximity to the beach or other sights isn't a concern. A pool and breakfast incl. are a plus, but not necessary.

I work in a school, so I am unable to take Friday off from work. Our group will probably fly down early Friday. I will have to pay through the nose to fly down Friday evening and join them. We always fly Southwest, so we will be flying in/out of FLL for our Miami cruise. Since I will most likely be joining the group rather late Friday, I think staying in FLL is the best route. Then we can all travel to POM in the morning together.

Also, is it easier to just take a cab(s) from a FLL hotel to the port of Miami, or are the shuttle services better?

Hi Kristi -

Thanks for asking. I'm trying to figure the same thing. For the first time we are flying into FLL. We arrive at 9:30 PM and wonder too if we should go on to Miami for the night, or stay in FLL and go to POM in the morning.

I think taking a cab will be pricey, but if you have a group, I wonder if a cab is less than a shuttle which I think is about $15 per person. I have used SAS for one way from POM to FLL and it went well.

Hope someone will share what worked for them.

Edited by ForSharonB

There are several budget hotel options near FLL - http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and lodging info.

A shared shuttle to POM should cost about $15 per person while a taxi will run closer to $75-80+tip on the meter. SAS, QLS, Go Airport and other shuttle providers are suggested on this board every day and most list the hotels they pick up at on their web site (saving you a trip back to the airport just to catch a shuttle).

The same shuttles can get you back from POM to FLL after your cruise. Good luck! :)

When we flew into FLL and sailed out of POM, we stayed at the Sleep Inn & Suites FLL Airport. We were very pleased with our choice as we didn't have a rental car and the hotel more than met our needs.

http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-dania-florida-FL664#

They provided an airport shuttle that was quick to show up. Upon checking in, the hotel was clean, our rooms ( we booked 2 adjoining) were spotlessly clean and came with a microwave, mini-fridge and coffee maker. The pool and hot-tub area was nice and we were provided with pool towels..... a nice perk as I hate using up our bath towels for this. he pool was also heated....a good thing if visiting during the cooler-winter months. The next morning, the hot breakfast was above par for a hotel buffet.

We also selected this hotel because there is a 24 hr Walgreens adjacent to the hotel. There is also a shopping center directly across the street that has a few restaurants..... Italian, Chinese and a good Mexican place called Pancho's. If you show your hotel room card at Pancho's, they will give you 10% off of your bill.

The next morning, we hired QLS shuttle service to take us to POM. I can not say enough positive things about QLS. They were one of few that actually has a live person to speak to when you reserve or have any questions. A few other shuttle services ask you to leave an e-mail and then you are at their mercy to get a return response. QLS also gave us a 9am pick-up option which put us at the port at 9:45am. We dropped our luggage with the porter and were among the very first to enter the port at 10am when the doors opened. They also had a very easy and organized pick-up for our trip back to FLL airport, after the cruise. They have your cell # and will keep in contact the morning of pick-ups and drop off. I really liked that aspect as it made me feel secure about not being forgotten. Also..... The Sleep Inn filled the entire shuttle so once we boarded we went directly to the port and didn't have to drive to other hotels for additional passengers. I'm not sure if this is always the case but the driver stated that the Sleep Inn was a popular pre-cruise hotel so this was a nice bit of info.

I would not hesitate to stay at the Sleep Inn or use QLS again if flying into FLL and sailing out of POM in the future.

*** Just a head-up to book early. We booked our hotel rooms several months in advance and including tax paid under $100 per room. The room rates just kept creeping up until the hotel was completely sold out. We also got a very good AAA discount so that was nice also.

Good luck to you and have a great cruise.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

When we flew into FLL and sailed out of POM, we stayed at the Sleep Inn & Suites FLL Airport. We were very pleased with our choice as we didn't have a rental car and the hotel more than met our needs.

http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-dania-florida-FL664#

Thanks for the suggestion! I just booked it. Sounds great for us! Just what we needed. Love that there's a Walgreens next door!!! Thanks!

Sleep Inn sounds perfect for us! Thank you.

A much as I would like to get as close as possible to POM, I know I will probably be joining everyone late at night. I just don't feel comfortable shuttling or cabbing from FLL alone that late at night. This would be a quick hop from the airport.

Thank you!

Sleep Inn sounds perfect for us! Thank you.

A much as I would like to get as close as possible to POM, I know I will probably be joining everyone late at night. I just don't feel comfortable shuttling or cabbing from FLL alone that late at night. This would be a quick hop from the airport.

Thank you!

We did the exact same thing. We had a later flight out of Indy and didn't want to spend a fortune on a hotel or spend extra time in a shuttle to Miami after a long day and a long flight. We couldn't even come close to what we paid at the Sleep Inn compared to some of the rates in Miami. We also needed 2 rooms so would've spent a small fortune in Miami.

We really didn't care what city we slept in as long as we got to the port the next morning.