excursions- Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

jomac3rd

Hello this is my 1st post here as well as 1st time cruising :)

We are booked on Carnival Conquest late April, ports are Key West, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I am travel with my 15 yr old and on a budget but willing to splurge on one excursion such as an all inclusive animal encounter/beach day

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should book excursion for Cozumel or Grand Cayman??

So any advice is appreciated :)

I would do Stingray City in Grand Cayman. It is a really cool excursion/experience. You will stop and see the stingrays on the sand bar and then they usually take you to another area to snorkel. The water in Cayman is beautiful, better than Cozumel in my opinion. I've been to Cozumel twice (on cruises) and Cayman 3 times (one cruise, twice for a week long stay).

I agree completely! Stingray City is an awesome experience that you really can't do any where else....not in that capacity, and a 15 yr old would love it!! So much fun.

Cozumel and Key West are both great ports for walking around, shopping, eating, sightseeing, etc. Cayman is VERY expensive to eat and drink compared to the other two. Cozumel you can go to a beach club for a couple of bucks, so I would suggest doing the "excursion" in Grand Cayman.

Thanks this is all very helpful! Def will be doing Stingray City in Cayman.

Now any advice on booking thru ship or 3rd party tour group?

Also we haven't snorkeled before, will that be a disadvantage on ship excursion??

I also agree with Stingray City! As for Cozumel don't feel you have to book beach club in advance either. Last year we had no plans and was offered an off the beaten path beach club including transportation for $20pp. Included snacks and drinks. I think it was called Mikes Beach. Point is there will be lots of affordable options when you get off the boat that day.

And feel safe booking Stingray with some of the private companies mentioned frequently in the boards. Less expensive, better experience as you won't be part of a herd, and safe as well.

Edited by FMZ

I always book tours privately. Groups are usually smaller and much cheaper. Just make sure you are careful with the clock. Your 'ship' time might not match up with actual 'local' time.

Stingray City is the coolest because the animals are not in a tank like with the dolphins.