Picture heavy fun review - MSC Armonia - Canary Isles and Madeira - incl. DIY trips

Kreuzfahrtneuling

As tragic as the deaths are... for the living the world will continue and it probably wouldn't set the right signs for those terrorists if we all quit doing what we love. So we'll continue with the Armonia review today. I hope that Tunisia's democracy will survive this catastrophe ... otherwise the terrorists would have achieved to destroy even more than those 20plus innocent lives ... the hope and striving for a better future of a whole country, which has shown some incredible guts to pull through with democracy whilst surrounded by chaos and killing. Prayers of course go out to the relatives and friends of the victims ... but also to a brave little country, whom I hope will recover from this -- the sooner the better.

Stef

:othanks for all the new posts yesterday and the day before that everybody. I really love your participation in this review ...this whole Tunisia thing just threw me off ... please don't think I'm ungrateful --- I'll concentrate on review writing again from now on.

Stef

During the bus transfer we amused ourselves with watching a family who all huddled over their smart phones from the very beginning until the very end of the ride. Seriously, mother, father and the young ones …. Without a break. We called them the “Samsung-family” from now on.

Anyway, once in port, the bus drops you off right next to the ship and the round embarkation hall/tent with sides of glass. The suitcases are being placed next to the bus so everybody (cough, like us) who had not yet attached their MSC baggage labels could do so now, before handing over the bags to the nice men with the orange vests who already waited to proceed with the luggage. Those even roamed around the masses with staplers, ready to help out. We brought scotchtape to attach our tags, but the guy with his stapler was quicker… very friendly as well….I give an “A” for organizational expertise here.

Suitcases off our hands we walked the few steps to the embarkation hall (maximum of 10 steps … it really was
right
there). Very pleasant surprise: There was a table set up with free drinks… Water and orange juice. In clear plastic cups. With friendly people behind the table offering them. A waste basket in the close proximity to easily throw the cups away was also present. We enjoyed our unawaited welcome drink and then got in line to embark.

Two lines. One curved long one for regular passengers and one shortcut straight one for priority passengers. The hall wasn’t filled with people though. The priority line was empty … as soon as somebody entered that line, he or she was basically waved right through to the next free desk. The “regulars” had to wait a little bit …. But really the wait was no more than 5 minutes until one of the 10 desks was available for us to approach.

The following embarkation process of showing passports and getting our cruise cards was once again a matter of minutes and off we were to enter the ship after the mandatory security check of our carry-on luggage.

I think altogether from the moment we left that bus, it took us less than 15 minutes to board the ship …. And that includes stapling bags, drinking drinks, getting checked in and through the security check!

WOW!

Second MSC cruise --- second more than perfect embarkation …. I am more than impressed!

Here we are in the front line of the curvy line. Spirits are great.

16870681292_ed72276908_b.jpg

This lady on the left manages the flow of passengers in an effective, yet friendly manner. Almost our turn. Happy and excited.

16870854511_71973233a6_b.jpg

So we’re done with the precruise stuff now. Next up will be our impressions of the MSC Armonia…

Stay tuned!

Stef

The MSC Armonia

First of all the name…Armonia. I don’t know about you English speaking folks, but us Germans would pronounce the ship name like this:

Armooooonia.

Well, needless to say that’s completely wrong.

Armonia means Harmony in Italian and is correctly pronounced:

Armoneeeeea.

Lol – always a plus if you can tell somebody your correct ship name in case you get lost.

This was our second cruise with MSC. The first was on the sparkly, rather new MSC Magnifica. I was surprised at just how different the feel of two ships can be although they belong to the same company. When we first set foot on the Armonia, we felt like walking into a large living room. Nothing fancy, no French palace feeling with chandeliers and plushy red seats. We found a lot of wood, no glitz, comfortable lighting and altogether a feeling of coming home. You enter on deck 5 right next to the tiniest guest services counter I have ever seen. Across from it there is a subtle water cascade running down a vertical marble wall from deck 6.

16251875273_9ff7d39df0_b.jpg

But first things first. We wanted to get rid of our backpacks and headed towards our cabin. We had an inside cabin on deck 7 way in the front of the ship. Since we embarked right at the “centrum”, which I always like to call the area around the guest services desk, we were already close to "our" stairway (nr. 3), which would lead up to our cabin.

16664541687_36a1acda55_b.jpg

The stairways were refreshingly unglamorous. They were straight forward and still had a light and friendly atmosphere to them. Lots of people used the stairs instead of the elevators. We did too.

This is one of the hallways to the cabins

16870743362_a567b08db1_b.jpg

16685726819_4f18448bfc_b.jpg

And tadahhhh: our home for a week. Let’s check that out first.

Coming up next: our cabin with its ups and downs

Stay tuned!

Stef

Interesting on pronunciation. I was on this ship for my first cruise and thought of it as Ah-moan-ia

She's smaller than other MSC boats (although recently stretched!) not as sparkly but we felt right at home.

Hi, hello and greetings Stef,

I have followed your reviews (each one of them-living your excitement,humorous stories and your stress). I today for the first time thought I wanted you to know just how much my husband and I enjoy your adventures with Tanya and Tarik. We (Hilmar and I) are The greatest MSC fans. Haviing cruised on other lines for many years, we decided to renew our wedding vows (30 years) aboard the Poesia in the Caribbean 3 years ago. Well we were instantly hooked and addicted. They treated us like movie stars (really). Anyway we now travel on the Divina each Christmas. Sorry for diverting just to let you know how much we appreciate and "live" your reviews. You make us readers feel like a part of the family sitting in the back seat. I await each new adventure you undertake. Your writing skills and humor are Truely awsome. We echo your sadness at the attacks on innocence. FYI we spent many years living in Wuerzburg and then Dusseldorf (Hilden) prior to moving to Canada 12 years ago. I am cruising on the MS Westerdam one week from day so this makes this particular adventure of yours that much more entertaining. Keep the great writing going !

Greetings and THANKYOU

Linda

Before we get to open the cabin door for the first time, I need to take a minute to talk about the recent stretching of the Armonia in 2014.

Basically, they cut it in half --- a front and a hind part, and stuck in a new connective piece in the middle. Of course the main thing they added was more cabins. True, also the Armonia lounge as well as the spray park are new … but basically the elongation took place to add more passengers on each cruise.

They didn’t only build new cabins in the
added
part. The location of our little inside cabin for instance formerly was part of the “old” library and business center. Since we knew that, we kinda were looking forward not to have a shower curtain this time. And new carpets and furniture and so forth…

Altogether we were really looking forward to the cabin they had assigned us. Lol… if we were to drill a hole in the ground, we’d drop right into the back portion of the theatre. Would it be loud?

Let’s open the door.

16664778657_d755ea05ae_b.jpg

That’s our cabin. Normally there would also be a red and subtle golden bedspread on top of the bed, but at the time of this picture, our little cabin fairy had already prepared the bed for the night.

Two wonderful surprises:

they changed from woolen blankets and a linen sheet to real duvets!!!!! Oh the delight! Do they do this on all ships now? I absolutely LOVE it!

2. We got a cabin without bunkbeds on the sides. It’s amazing how much more space one gets if these suckers are missing.

Also you can see two personal upgrades of our cabin, which I brought along… wait, here’s a close up:

16684685260_4da5c97412_b.jpg

The blue pillow is mine. And I was glad to have brought it. The MSC ones had the same lumpy consistency as on our last cruise. Tanja didn’t mind and slept very well on them anyway. I on the other hand was extremely happy I didn’t have to.

And see the white round alarmclock? It wakes you with daylight. So let’s say you set the alarm for 7:00 am --- the clock will gradually begin to shine with growing light intensity 15 minutes before that. So when it starts beeping, the cabin is already bathed in light and you don’t feel like in a stone age cave at night. I absolutely loved my new alarm clock.

Lol … it was a bit of a hassle to hook it into the socket hidden under the bed though. There are two “secret” European sockets under the bed. One on each side. Just that they’re occupied by the plugs of the lights next to the bed. But since we brought an extension cord with three plugs at the end we could use both the alarm clock and the regular reading light. Yippiiieee.

16872083225_c797ed5ef2_b.jpg

The view of the other half of the cabin. We did have all new furniture and a new carpet. Nice… really, really nice.

Some art:

16684676460_1f8850aac1_b.jpg

16685958189_cb3ce9093f_b.jpg

And the regular sockets. Two US and two European ones. Lol – behind the flat screen TV was yet another European one – so even if you don’t bring an extension cord …. Many possibilities to charge whatever your heart desires.

Also new to us was the new pool towel conduct. There are two clean orange towels during the daywaiting in your cabin for you to use. If soiled, they get replaced by fresh ones the next day. Perfect and easy to manage. Loving it!

Lol – and there might be something hidden in the above picture as well… we don’t know though.

Well, here’s the story. On any other ship we have been on so far, the safe was in one of the shelves in the wardrobe. Lol – we looked everywhere… no safe! We ended up believing we simply didn’t HAVE a safe, since this was a newly added cabin, and heck, these things can happen … we were sure, somebody forgot to add a safe. We stuck our valuables in the shelves next to the bed and hoped for the best. Nothing ended up missing.

NOW however I read on a review, that MSC has hidden the safe behind the mirror! So maybe, just maybe there would have been the possibility we had a hidden safe in our cabin all time long. We’ll never know.

We did find something however, which we’d rather not have found:

16684673880_3ccee00c5d_b.jpg

Some very large person must have inhabited this cabin prior to us … and left dirty laundry…

we stuck it in the trashcan … just to find it the next day neatly folded with our own clothes again ….

Argh.

We stuffed it in the trash again and added some other waste on top of it ….

And Hooray, the next day we were finally rid of our unwanted piece of clothing.

Which brings us to our cabin fairy. We didn’t get to see her the first two days. On the third day we heard a timid knock on our door, when we were in our cabin to change clothes. Anyway, Tanja opened and a tiny woman stood in front of her, with a broad smile, instantly exclaiming:

“Hah, it’s
you
! So
this
is where you are!”

Uhm, what are you supposed to reply to that?

I think we mumbled something like … “yes, it’s us and this is our cabin …. Glad to meet you too”.

And off she was again, like as if somebody snipped their fingers and puff – she dissolved in thin air…. This was very bizarre. No idea what her name was …. My theory: she must be a true fairy… a cute, funny and mischievous one, but definitely a bit out of this world. We never saw her again after that.

More cabin pics coming up

Stef

Dear Stef

A new review i i love it!

Me too i hate the woolen blankets, i believe they "live"...:eek:

I hope they change them in all ships, it would be great, i love the real duvets too ;)

Tomorrow i drive to Lausanne (Lake Geneva, tree hours by car... :o), my son try his best on a cooking contest!

Good night

Claudia

Dear Stef

A new review i i love it!

Me too i hate the woolen blankets, i believe they "live"...:eek:

I hope they change them in all ships, it would be great, i love the real duvets too ;)

Tomorrow i drive to Lausanne (Lake Geneva, tree hours by car... :o), my son try his best on a cooking contest!

Good night

Claudia

Hi Claudia,

welcome again!

Good luck for your son in the contest!

Stef

Edited by Kreuzfahrtneuling
typo

I can confirm that the safe as well as more storage room is behind the mirror:D

rats --- I knew we screwed up.

Is it just us that think it odd to rattle at a mirror inside a cabin to see if it possibly opens up? Sounds like one of those ghost stories in old English castles, where you have to find just the right body part of some statue to push, so some hidden door swings open.

Lol --- then again .... maybe we were just lacking a bit of imagination here.

Stef

The storage space:

Before I show you pics of the wardrobe … this is worth mentioning

16705708690_f7db16238e_b.jpg

These hangars where a big improvement compared to the ones they had before. Multifunctional, well designed, light and stayed on the rack. Loved them! Gee, they changed so many little things … someone did his homework. Great job!

The suitcases fit nicely under the bed.

Tadah – the wardrobe with the hangers in use

16893125105_5843252864_b.jpg

For two people for a week – perfect!

16705476378_520b3f91dc_b.jpg

Shelves and cupboards – again perfect for two people for a week.

There was additional shelves in the cabin next to the beds and beneath the mirror ( lol – and behind it as well apparently, which I just learned), we didn’t use it all … but if you’d be on a longer cruise or had a cabin like this with bunkbeds and more people in it, those would come in handy.

The restroom:

the tiniest one yet … and to our dismay with a shower curtain --- rats.

16706942529_9c92d8df91_b.jpg

The last shower curtain on the Magnifica didn’t really bother us … the space of the shower cabin was large enough, even had a see through glass section on the side and one could easily escape the curtain while showering. Not so here… At the time of our cruise I weighed 58 kg at a height of 167 cm …. I really wouldn’t call me overweight …. But there was no way I could retreat back into the shower cabin far enough as to not get covered with this curtain all the way from shins to belly button … it is a little awkward. Lol – of course Tanja had no chance of escaping either. Too bad, they enhanced so many little things … I would have hoped to find a solid shower door as well … especially in a newly built in cabin.

Although the curtain was a nuisance, it wasn’t the thing that bothered me most in this room.

16705691240_ea021bfd6a_b.jpg

See the little gutter underneath the toilet? Well, one would like to believe that it’s only purpose is to function as a drain for waste water (caused by messy showerers or cleaning fairies) to go down.

In our case however it had a life of its own and besides constant burping, it also …. Mhhh how do I say this politely …. threw up its contents from who knows where and who knows whom! The space between the toilet bowl and the cubboard was a triangle filled with …. sludge … each day. Our fairy heroically cleaned it more than once each day …. But still it kept reappearing. We had the impression that it got worse, the rougher the sea was. When we were docked in harbors we basically didn’t have much problems.

But did we really want to have mechanics roaming around our cabin all cruise long? Probably without any success in fixing the problem? Not really …. So we basically juggled around the yucky puddle when using the restroom. I just felt sorry for our little fairy, who had to clean this atrocity again and again.

Other than that the restroom was spotlessly clean.

16892116321_e93e9d730b_b.jpg

This was my new cosmetics bag … to hang up … I felt like quite the practical cruise passenger … slapping myself on the shoulder for buying this thingy on sale two days precruise.

The cabin altogether was perfect for us. Close to the stairway, new furniture, no bunkbeds. And although it was a cabin directly above the theatre, additionally with 2 hallways along the sides of it … it was absolutely silent (except the occational burp out of the restroom) ….. So although we weren’t sure about the noise level beforehand, we were pleasantly surprised.

One thing that’s left worth mentioning is that you can’t pass through to the front cabins on deck 7 from the back. They have added a crew hallway in between staircase 3 and the further back part of the ship … so there are doors … but you’re not allowed to open them to pass. That took a while to figure out. Tanja and I got lost on day one desperately seeking the way back to our cabin and walking loop after loop just to be stopped by the crew doors. But now you know. Just use another deck to get to the front stairway … then you’re okay.

Well, that’s basically it about the cabin…. Any questions, go ahead.

Coming up: mhhh, don’t know yet …. Something about the ship for sure. Any requests?

Stef

Would love to see some pictures of the lovely staff that were there. They really went out of their way to make the whole experience for 1st time cruisers amazing.

We booked a balcony cabin but got upgraded (I think) to a balcony suite. Much the same to be honest but a little bigger. And no shower curtain :)

Staff on the Armonia

I’m sorry to say I don’t have any pictures of the wonderful staff on this ship. But that doesn’t mean that I can’t at least talk about them (I do have a couple of pics, but they will be added in different sections, so bear with me and this pictureless for once post please).

When I think about staff on a cruise, the first thing that comes to mind is bars, restaurant and cabin.

Secondary- the gym, pool deck and entertainment team.

Sorry – that’s just me. Of course there are many more busy souls on board making life so comfortable … but the above mentioned are the ones we have the most contact to. So that’s why I’ll talk about them for a bit.

Bar personnel: A wide range of characters. We met our Ukrainian waitress from our favorite bar on the Magnifica again. Lol – now it was her AND her brother working onboard. She was still the same feisty lady as last time … it was great fun to witness that. I don’t think she recognized us though.

The waiter behind the San Marco bar was awesome. Very friendly even way early in the mornings, when we basically were the first to bother him with requests for cappuccinos and juice.

The two waiters who were in charge of the disco at night were too funny and quite communicative. But I have to admit to my shame, that I didn’t recognize them the day after our first disco visit during the daytime at the la Girasole bar. When one of them told me that it was them the night before, serving us drinks …. I felt really horrible and absolutely have no excuse for it. I don’t even recall their countries. Was it the Philippines? … Indonesia?…. Something like that. I really have to pay more attention to memorizing new faces, even if they tend to look alike sometimes. Really sorry you guys!

The waitress in the Duomo bar was sharp … lol in wits as well as looks. When I ordered a Russian mule --- she looked at me for a while, blinked and then she combined the clues: Oh, you mean a MOSCOW mule? Oh damn, I hate it when I’m making a fool out of myself. Of course that’s what I meant. She was wonderful, used her brain and worked extremely fast and attentive!

Whenever a bar was open, we saw the bar personnel work. Just sometimes, that wasn’t enough. The Lido bar on a sea day for instance had way too few waiters on duty, the Girasole bar was hopelessly understaffed as well most of the times. A person can only do so much … and here we really noticed the effects of the stretching of the ship. I’d suggest that MSC should reevaluate their waiter/passenger ratio here.

Restaurant staff:

We ate in the Marco Polo Dining hall. Our waiter was Francesco from Italy and his assistant waiter was Marili (oh crap, I always mess up spelling her name …. Gotta ask Tanja to reconfirm tonight) from San Salvador.

They were wonderful. Francesco kept our wine flowing and got every order right. Marili simply was a doll – she had the warmest, most inviting, shining smile I’ve ever seen. Loved her. And I was impressed as to how this tiny lady carried these large heavy trays with tons of meals on them every night. Francesco had some severe back problems on some nights. He tried to not show it … but it was impossible to hide. We noticed some conversations between him and his supervisor … I don’t think it went too well. I really don’t want to know, what the tone of voice was like … we just saw it from further away. Working as a waiter on a cruise ship sure is no party --- I know I’d be too much of a sissy for it anyway. Some evenings I’d have loved to jump up and carry the plates myself, so he could have a few moments of rest --- but I guess that would have been an insult as well. So we kept sitting on our butts and sent silent, desperate wishes of health into his direction. Poor baby.

For breakfast and lunch in the Marco Polo there could have been a slight improvement of organization. There were tons of waiters just standing around clumped in one spot, clogging the walk ways. Still, there were people waiting to order. They didn’t seem unwilling …. Just chaotically misorganized. Here a present head waiter to get some structure into the procedures surely would have worked wonders. This was way better on the Magnifica last year, where the oldstyle Italian headwaiter was always present, roaming around constantly, checking and improving where it was needed.

The buffet? Sigh – I don’t want to talk about that one just yet to keep my good spirits.

Cabin personnel

Lol – I already told you all we know about our little fairy. All other cabin staff we encountered while walking along the hallways were very friendly.

Gym personnel

Mhhh – good was that there was a guy present to help out with the machines and give work out tips one day we were there. Not so good was that the gym lady slept in one morning, when I wanted to use the gym one more time before disembarkation …. Only after a call to reception after 40 minutes and another 20 minute wait the gym was opened… at 7 instead of at 6 am. Grrrr --- me and another passenger where there waiting at 6 am… okay, we had a fun chat and all, but still: a tiny more effort by sleepy head to look embarrassed would have been in place I believe. A small curt sorry didn’t do it for me after one hour of wait.

Pool deck personnel:

Always somebody busy with the loungers or cleaning. Very friendly, especially way early in the mornings or late at night on the otherwise deserted decks. Very good!

Entertainment team

Lead by cruise director Anna from Germany (what’s up with all the MSC directors being from Germany?), this entertainment team was incredibly great! They worked their butts off and showed character and new ideas how to entertain the guests all the way until disembarkation …. And a team that manages to make otherwise grumpy passengers (duh – who wants to disembark afterall) laugh out loud with happy tears in their eyes while waiting for their call to leave the ship is exceptional! But I do have some pictures of them later on. I’ll tell you about Anna in the daily section.

We saw a lot of mechanics roaming the hallways (maybe some others with burpy restrooms?) and all the officers were friendly and greeted every time we passed them. Oh speaking of officers – we met one that I have to add here: Guess who?

Our hero from the Magnifica! Diego di Andrea was on the Armonia and we had a wonderful time chatting in the hallway on the day before disembarkation. It was sooo good to see him again. Lol – and he didn’t recognize us at once … whoohooo, that means our ill fame from Dublin has apparently faded … which is a good thing! We also met some black card passengers who greeted Diego as well warmheartedly …. From them we learned that they knew him from the times before MSC … Apparently he worked in a café in Brighton for years before his cruise career …. With long hair …. Lol – I love this picture in my head. But I’m happy he ended up cutting it …. Looks so much better I believe. It was a real pleasure bumping into him again. We live in a small world.

That’s it about the staff on the Armonia …. I hope I didn’t forget anybody. They all made the cruise a wonderful experience and I dearly thank all of them. Keep up the good work!

Stef

Thanks for that Stef,

I also thought the staff were amazing with one or two exceptions! DW being Ukrainian gave her an opportunity to speak with some of the girls in her native tongue-they do not have an easy life. Any we spoke too had young families at home. To do what they do and manage to smile all day, is an amazing talent.

Looking forward to all the pictures-I am going to root out my receipts to see if the staff you mentioned were on our cruise :)

Receipts had been shamefully stored away since Xmas-I sometimes rather not know how much I imbibed :D

Whoo!! Am I the first to post in this nice new shiny thread?!

Looking forward to being along for the ride - and welcome back again :p

Carol

You obviously did not have a cabin on deck 10 immediately under La Brasserie restaurant. Open till 2am cleaners present from 5.30am. No sleep in cabin 1155 last week.

Have been looking forward to this review especially for the ports of call. Will be visiting the same ports later in the year and your research is always top notch so can't wait to get loads of ideas

:p thank you -- but please bear in mind that I only had a month to plan this baby ...:o I did my best though and I can't wait to share the ports with you all .... that really is my favorite part to write ... but first we'll finish describing the ship, okay?

Stef

You obviously did not have a cabin on deck 10 immediately under La Brasserie restaurant. Open till 2am cleaners present from 5.30am. No sleep in cabin 1155 last week.

I'm sorry to hear you had bad luck with your cabin position. To end up underneith the buffet restaurant must be the worst -- on any ship for that matter. That's the only thing we feared might happen to us on this cruise as well, since with our cheap travel deal, we didn't get the oppertunity to choose a cabin. We crossed our thumbs and of course were very relieved, when three weeks prior to the cruise the luggage tags arrived and we found out we wouldn't be underneith the buffet. Really sorry for you guys. I hope you still had a somewhat good cruise. But I can see how not having any rest at night could ruin it for you. We had a loud cabin on an American ship once ... but here the noise was only until midnight and didn't start up early in the mornings again ... lol , on that cruise we fell asleep besides of the noise though, because we were so pooped from extremely intense port visits during the day.

Thanks for posting the warning though --- maybe a reminder for everybody that it definitely helps to look at some deckplans prior to a cruise if you have any chance of influencing your cabin position.

Stef

Edited by Kreuzfahrtneuling

Thanks for that Stef,

I also thought the staff were amazing with one or two exceptions! DW being Ukrainian gave her an opportunity to speak with some of the girls in her native tongue-they do not have an easy life. Any we spoke too had young families at home. To do what they do and manage to smile all day, is an amazing talent.

Looking forward to all the pictures-I am going to root out my receipts to see if the staff you mentioned were on our cruise :)

Receipts had been shamefully stored away since Xmas-I sometimes rather not know how much I imbibed :D

:) you're very welcome.

Lol -- I love the mini-print ... don't be ashamed. You're allowed to go wild on a cruise. I also have all the receipts in a bag stowed away... wanted to add em all up to see if the Allegrissimo paid off for us ... but I can answer that question without starting that task. Yes it certainly did:D.

No regrets!

Stef