Train question

Normally a pre booked ticket would be collected from the ticket machines at the train station by entering your reference number given to you at the time of booking, also insert payment card to confirm your ID. You could pay a couple of £ extra to have them delivered by post.

If I prebook I would prefer to have them sent through the post as I would worry something would go wrong with the ticket machine on the station. What I usually do though is work everything out on line, then go and buy them at a station ticket office. I have bought tickets from stations all over the country when they become available as we use advance tickets quite a bit.

If I prebook I would prefer to have them sent through the post as I would worry something would go wrong with the ticket machine on the station. What I usually do though is work everything out on line, then go and buy them at a station ticket office. I have bought tickets from stations all over the country when they become available as we use advance tickets quite a bit.

So I could go to Oxford Station and get them this week, before we go?

Yes and it is really easy at the machine. As arnie said though as well as your ref you need the card you used for payment. You have to put it in the machine to validate your ref number. (What? I've already paid! :eek: ) But it does say on the screen that you won't be charged again!

Just take care you pick up four tickets and a receipt 'ticket' too - first time we did it I picked out four items not realising that one was a receipt and nearly left one ticket behind in the machine - good job I looked at them carefully before walking away!

But like Altona I don't like relying on the post especially as............ It's not long to go now! ;):D

I have to prebook a lot of train tickets for work and often have to pick them up at the station as normally my colleagues dont ask until a day or two before they are due to travel. Have found it very easy so yes I would pick them up from the station this week. Enjoy your trip:)

The machine on our local station has had an out of order sign on it, and the kiosk is part time these days which is why it scares me a bit to arrange local machine collection for tickets. I had them next day once through the post, but prefer to check everything in advance then go to a station to buy them.

I have just looked at the paperwork I have printed out and it says "This is your travel ticket" and that I have to show a valid form of ID ie driving licence/passport, so surely that is an e-ticket?

Yes, that is your ticket. Just have everything handy, including the card you paid it with.

Sorry to ask a stupid question:rolleyes: but it is ages since I went on a train. As we have prebooked our trip and had our seat allocated, do we just get on the train or do we have to go to the ticket office to get "proper" tickets?

We had the same problem last year Linda when we went to Liverpool.

we had not been on a train for years either so I printed out the Train-line with our payment , Train times and how

to get our tickets from a machine at Sheffield station before boarding the train to Liverpool.

As we had booked from our local station we had to get there by train as well ,which did not have a ticket machine

for me to put the payment code number into it.

To save time I put the number into my phone as well .

Anyway we arrived at our station which had a manned ticket office and I explained to the guy behind the counter

and he took the booking number off my phone and I just paid with the bank card I had used online and he gave us all

our tickets there and then .

So you should have no probs there .:cool:

A word of warning though .

A month or so later I'm checking our bank statements and ended up ringing up the bank as I had a payment to a ..

..Think it was Dutch company and at that time had never been to Holland :eek:

Whilst on the phone the bank asked had I bought a Rail ticket ??

It turns out that was the company who take payments for the Rail tickets :o

So if you see a strange company on your bank statement and its for the amount of your rail Ticket ..:D

Enjoy your train journey :)

I have just phoned the Trainline and they have assured me that the the print out is all I will need, as long as I have ID with me. Thanks anyway for your repies. :):)

Yes it sounds like that is what they call a 'print at home' ticket. It will most probably have a QR code printed on it (square shaped barcode thing) which the conductor will scan on the train.

I seem to recall Oxford station has ticket gates, so you'll just need to show your eTicket thing to a member of staff to be let through to the platforms.

Yes it sounds like that is what they call a 'print at home' ticket. It will most probably have a QR code printed on it (square shaped barcode thing) which the conductor will scan on the train.

I seem to recall Oxford station has ticket gates, so you'll just need to show your eTicket thing to a member of staff to be let through to the platforms.

Thanks hgt, it does have a "square shaped barcode thing" :D

DH is now panicking as the name on both tickets is mine! Now, I have booked two seats and obviously can't sit in both of them! Also the ticket says 1/2 on one ticket and 2/2 on the other. Please reassure him that this is OK :rolleyes:

Just checked my tickets for Gatwick Linda and it has my name on both tickets so guess they've just recorded the name of the purchaser. 1/2 will be one out of two and 2/2 will be the second of the two tickets you bought. Sure your DH won't be left behind at the station! :eek:

Just checked my tickets for Gatwick Linda and it has my name on both tickets so guess they've just recorded the name of the purchaser. 1/2 will be one out of two and 2/2 will be the second of the two tickets you bought. Sure your DH won't be left behind at the station! :eek:

Thanks Kruzseeka :) I had to phone the Train Line to check, to reassure him! She said the same :rolleyes: