MSC Magnifica in Katakolon

Babyeddiedog

We have booked a car in Katakolon to see Olympia but I'm working my way through a wonderful review by Elmartellama which says that on his Fantasia trip last year MSC offered transfers to Olympia for €21 (which were not advertised beforehand).

I've only ever seen people mention the train or car hire as an alternative to the ship's guided tour, so my question is has anyone else experienced this, is it likely to always be available for this port? The car costs €46 plus fuel, guessing €15, so that makes transfers at €42 for a couple good value.

If I was you I'd stick with the car. Picked up and dropped of at the port gates - and Olympia is a long drive away. The last time we were in Katakolon MSC was charging $85 (Australian) each - there were 4 of us and I got a private car (a limo turned up) for $80 for the 4 of us.

Excellent value.

Thanks to you both for your replies. It looks like the 'shuttle' may not be a guaranteed thing. Maybe they offer it only if they don't sell enough of their guided tour spaces and have contracted a more coaches than they need. Im sure I recall that on Splendida they did something similar, but there again I could be dreaming, so unless I hear from anyone else then I might stick with the car!

We were really disappointed in MSC on this regard. I made extensive research for the shuttle and it just did not exist on their web page before sailing. So, we went for the rent-a-car

We were in Katakolon only 5 hours, instead of 6 hours, due to bad weather. Maybe that had something to do with it??? The shuttles were offered in the daily program the day before.

Thank you Elmartellama, I've finished your wonderful review. Its so full of useful information you should be a travel agent (if you're not), just the right amount of information, great pictures and relevant information. Like you said, it would be so much better to know beforehand what the options are, but maybe circumstances don't allow that. Thanks again :)