Need help planning Eurostar trip

Cybercsp

I also posted this on the London forum, so sorry if it is a repeat for readers...

Hello,

We will be arriving in Paris (CDG) at 11:30 AM on a Thursday in June. We are planning to go directly to catch the Eurostar to London from Gare du Nord. Allowing for time to collect our luggage, clear customs, find our way to the train to Gare du Nord, and grab something with caffeine...would anyone like to help us to estimate when we should reserve a seat to London? I would like to build in time so that we are not stressing, but not have an excessive amount of time to wait to travel to London. Thanks for any help!

You are presumably talking about purchasing a non-refundable Eurostar ticket with the timing dependent on airlines. IMHO this is akin to playing Russian Roulette. Have you considered spending the night in Paris (we would spend a month in Paris) and then taking a morning Eurostar? This will help you avoid stress and you will also enjoy the Eurostar experience better after some sleep. And if you book 1st Class I believe they even include breakfast served at your seat.

Hank

I also posted this on the London forum, so sorry if it is a repeat for readers...

Hello,

We will be arriving in Paris (CDG) at 11:30 AM on a Thursday in June. We are planning to go directly to catch the Eurostar to London from Gare du Nord. Allowing for time to collect our luggage, clear customs, find our way to the train to Gare du Nord, and grab something with caffeine...would anyone like to help us to estimate when we should reserve a seat to London? I would like to build in time so that we are not stressing, but not have an excessive amount of time to wait to travel to London. Thanks for any help!

I would say by 3 pm you should be ok,but time it for 4 just to be safe.When you enter the train station the level up to the Eurostar is to you left...there are plenty of signs and it is up one level. there is a place right there to get some coffee etc. as well as upstairs if memory serves me right. I am just guessing on 11:30 arr time then 12:30 to get to luggage and clear immigration then get a taxi to the train station w/o a lot of stress. If you are getting a non refundable I built in a little extra time. Other's may have a better idea for you. FC gets you food on the train...great way to go.

I would say by 3 pm you should be ok,but time it for 4 just to be safe.When you enter the train station the level up to the Eurostar is to you left...there are plenty of signs and it is up one level. there is a place right there to get some coffee etc. as well as upstairs if memory serves me right. I am just guessing on 11:30 arr time then 12:30 to get to luggage and clear immigration then get a taxi to the train station w/o a lot of stress. If you are getting a non refundable I built in a little extra time. Other's may have a better idea for you. FC gets you food on the train...great way to go.

Why a taxi? Wouldn't the RER train be direct and eliminate the whole issue of traffic? It might require a shuttle at the airport. We haven't done this, but I might if I were just heading to Gare du Nord from CDG. It would save both time (if traffic) and money.

I wouldn't get first class, but that's just me. Tickets are twice as expensive and the standard seats are very comfortable as it is. There is a Paul at Gare du Nord for nice sandwich. I see Paul is popping up in the US these days. In any case, I think the biggest variables for OP is flight arriving on time. I would build in some time for delays and play it safe with the 4:10 train as Hank suggests. Either the 3:10 or the 4:10 will both put you into serious traffic time in London.

Thanks so much for the responses...we will consider this information.

We are taking a river cruise with included roundtrip airfare to Paris. My husband always wanted to see London, so we are using an air deviation pre-cruise to lengthen our time in Europe. We figured that we might as well just keep traveling to the far point, and make our way back. Thus, the convoluted beginning....

Why a taxi? Wouldn't the RER train be direct and eliminate the whole issue of traffic? It might require a shuttle at the airport. We haven't done this, but I might if I were just heading to Gare du Nord from CDG. It would save both time (if traffic) and money.

I wouldn't get first class, but that's just me. Tickets are twice as expensive and the standard seats are very comfortable as it is. There is a Paul at Gare du Nord for nice sandwich. I see Paul is popping up in the US these days. In any case, I think the biggest variables for OP is flight arriving on time. I would build in some time for delays and play it safe with the 4:10 train as Hank suggests. Either the 3:10 or the 4:10 will both put you into serious traffic time in London.

I said taxi since they were just coming off a flight with luggage and thouyght it made sense...I have gone into Paris many ways,and with cruise luggage the taxi would be all IMHO. I have also take the Eurostar first and second class and would choose first ove second coming from the airport after a long flight anyday. If the OP is wanting to save monies I guess they could do and make that choice on their own...I never assume that my suggestion is the only word. BTW, I suggested the 4:10 for time.

I said taxi since they were just coming off a flight with luggage and thouyght it made sense...I have gone into Paris many ways,and with cruise luggage the taxi would be all IMHO. I have also take the Eurostar first and second class and would choose first ove second coming from the airport after a long flight anyday. If the OP is wanting to save monies I guess they could do and make that choice on their own...I never assume that my suggestion is the only word. BTW, I suggested the 4:10 for time.

I see what you're saying but the train ride is pretty short and the standard seats have great legroom and are comfortable (also have tables). Getting a mass produced meal on a two-hour or so train ride. I'd pass, but maybe some go for that. In any case, for my family this summer, the total savings of going standard one way is $200. To me, that's real money. In any case, Trip Advisor has a similar question with similar advice from people about playing it conservative and leaving close to three hours just to get to train station at CDG by taking into account late arriving flights to a busy airport, actually walking off the plane, waiting for luggage, going through customs, and getting to terminal 2 to take the train. The 3:10 is probably doable but ambitious and the 4:10 is probably safe. Others on Trip Advisor agree with Hank's advice about spending a night in Paris.

Thanks so much for the responses...we will consider this information.

We are taking a river cruise with included roundtrip airfare to Paris. My husband always wanted to see London, so we are using an air deviation pre-cruise to lengthen our time in Europe. We figured that we might as well just keep traveling to the far point, and make our way back. Thus, the convoluted beginning....

Ahhhh, seeing that you are from PA that changes everything :). We have actually used the non-stop flights from PHL to CDG on several trips. Your convoluted plans do make sense although you will be exhausted by the time you reach London.

We would err on the side of caution and build in a 2 hour late arrival by the flight. So using this scenario, and allowing for an hour to get through immigration/passport control and get your luggage this means we agree that a 4pm or later train is a reasonable gamble. And, if you can handle your own luggage we also agree with using the fast and inexpensive RER train. If moving some distance with our own luggage is an issue then spend the big bucks on a taxi.

Hank