Info needed for Tahitian Princess waitlist

NoVa Mimi

We are number 1 on the waiting list for the 7/12 sailing of the Tahitain Princess. Does anyone have any information or past experience with being waitlisted for this ship? We also have reservations on Mariner of the Seas in case the Princess cruise does not work out, but I'd really prefer the Tahiti cruise (no brainer). Our main problem is we are 3 people, and cabins are somewhat scarce for 3. We are on the list for an OS and AA mini. I would love to hear from anyone that has been waitlisted, and their experiences and any suggestions as to what if anything we can do to determine our chances of actually getting on that sailing. Additionally, we have a 15 year old son, and I just want to know if in fact there are young teens that go on these Tahiti sailings. He likes being with us, but every now and then a break would be nice, I'm sure. Thanks so much on advance!

Since your cruise isn't until July of 2006 (as I understand your post) I would venture to say that I am sure you will get onboard being #1 on the waitlist. You are still many months from the final payment date and there are usually a lot of cancellations. So, if it were me, I would just plan on someone cancelling. Especially since you have been waitlisted for more than one category.

Have a great cruise to Tahiti!

You have 10 months before you set sail........it would not surprise me that, by Christmas, you will already have your confirmation of a cabin!

Crossing my fingers for you, but I doubt you'll need even that much luck from others.

I agree with the above postings...but wanted to add my two cents about teens on this ship. We were considering this cruise also with our 15 year old daughter - but they don't have a teen center and it is a smaller ship so we were concerned about her activities - as a mom, you know if the kids aren't happy - you aren't happy.

We called Princess and they told us on the June/July cruises they have an average of 10 kids (ages 0-17) they wouldn't be more specific than that. We opted to not do this cruise but booked another for the Carribean on Princess - large ship, teen center, lots more activities for them.

I think we will save the Tahiti trip for just my husband and I.

Good luck with your plans - if you get on and there are tons of kids - keep this site updated for future reference. Thanks.:)

We sailed in mid October last year, no school holidays or vacations that we knew of. But we still had many children sailing with us, including teens. So I think Princess may not be giving out totally accurate information on the children on board issue.

Plus, there are not many sea days on these sailings and on port days everyone is off the ship and busy busy busy with tours and just exploring Tahiti.

I don't think I would worry one bit about taking any ages on this ship during any of the months. Only thing there just didn't seem to be much for was the smaller children and babies. They really didn't have anything to do, but teens, they can always seem to find something to do onboard.

Again, best of luck!

Hi,

We took our 18 year old granddaughter last January on the Tahitian. Had a mini-suite with sleeper sofa. Quick tip - the first night we asked the room steward for an egg-crate foam, which she really appreciated because the bed war hard!!

There were many teens from all over the U.S., Brazil & Europe. Many schools are year-round, so kids are off at all times. There was ping pong etc., plus the teens took over one of the upstairs lounges and "hung out" together. There were craft sessions, game rooms, etc.

You should hopefully get your wait-list cleared!!

I really do appreciate all the information from all of you kind folks! I feel better now about both the wait list and the teen issue. The Princess rep did say that if we got a cabin, she'd be able to tell us how many of my son's particular age group would be on that sailing. I've just been rather concerned as most of the cabins appear to just be doubles...I see I must have been mistaken. I will keep my fingers crossed (and call Princess every now and then :) ). One more question, if I may ask...I gather it's best to utilize Princess air instead of trying to book air ourselves, correct? Also, is it best to arrive a day or two early? Thank you all again, you've been very helpful!

Our main problem is we are 3 people, and cabins are somewhat scarce for 3. We are on the list for an OS and AA mini.

Are you trying to get just one cabin for three pax, or do you want the OS and the AA cabin? Looking at one of the popular sites for the 7/12/06 Tahitian cruise, I'm still seeing several OS cabins available (8067, 6091, 6088, 6003, & 6002), as well as AA minisuites (8047, 8044, 8023, 8019, 8011, & 8009). Interestingly, they only show up when I list 2 passengers. When I try booking 3, I can't see the open cabins.

Captbill, that's odd, because on the Princess website, it shows 8023, 8009, and 8011 as all being able to hold a 3rd & 4th person (here's the link: http://www.princess.com/ships/ta/deck/ta_deck_8_index.html). I wonder if the Princess deck plan is wrong on their website?

Mimi, we've heard that it's best to book the airfare through Princess for this itinerary, especially since the cruise starts in Tahiti and ends in Hawaii so you have to fly open jaws. I haven't found any better pricing for our flights (we're on the May 29th sailing of this same itinerary) than what we can get through Princess.

I've found tons of useful info about Tahiti cruises on the Pacific Islands board. Seems like most folks post their info about the Tahitian Princess over there, rather than over here.

Captbill, we're trying to get 3 people in 1 cabin...prefer OS and most of those will only take 2 passengers. I guess they do not a fold out couch or anything such as that. I've checked with 2 other agents along with Princess, and they all show no OS open for 3. Calikak, I agree...Princess air does sound best. Does their airfare ever vary up or down? I suspect it will all go up before too much longer. Thanks again for all of the helpful suggestions and assistance you all are giving me! :)

NoVa, around our sailing, it's only gone up so far, but we're still pretty far away from this cruise, so maybe after the 1st of the year it'll go down. I've also heard it's a lot cheaper to get the Princess air just from LA to Papeete, and then book your own air from your home town to LA, but the Seattle to LA portion of the flight cost through Princess for us is less than what I can find for Seattle to LA, so it may depend on what part of the country you live in.

About 10 kids under 10 and about 10, 10-17....they all seemed to have a great time epecially those who liked the water.......a few parents did tell me their older teen boys were bored...but whats new...I noticed more boys overall than girls.(I was checking this out because we left 3 teens at home).

As far as being on the waitless...no problem...but I will tell you something interesting that happen to me I am booked on an upcoming cruise. I was only able to be waitlessed with princess I would be number 4, but then I contacted my TA and she was able to get me a G in that CAT. 3 weeks later I had an assignment mid ship perfect location...go figure....and I am not sailing until JAN. and I made these reservations in Late July...

Why don't you book a lower CAT. mini suite or balcony and then stay on the waitless princess told me that I could be waitlessed in every CAt.

Good Luck....:)

NoVa Mimi: We are on the July 12 sailing as well as the sailing before that on the Tahitian Princess next year. We booked the first day it was available last June because of this issue. We will have our 16 year old daughter with us for the 2 cruises and are really looking forward to the trip.

The one thing about this ship, which is so different than the other ships built for Princess is, there are very few cabins that will accomodate 3 people. Renaissance didn't allow kids on the ships, so not many people needed the triple cabins. There are also so few categories to pick from also. When I first started searching the sites for this cruise, I didn't realize that not all mini suites categories would accomodate 3 people as well as the balcony cabins. It really limits your choices and the availability.

Also there is a capacity issue on the ships. When they feel the ship has reached a certain capacity, even if there are triple rooms available, they won't be used as triples. This was also an issue here in Seattle this year on the Diamond Princess. There were many triples, but the ship for our sailing in June was only available for 2 persons in a cabin for a few months before we sailed.

We booked our air through Princes a week ago when the air and the deviations for both our cruises became available. My TA priced it independently and then through Princess and the prce difference was stagering. We have 3 one way flights from Seattle to LA, then Papeete and back from Honolulu to Seattle. No matter how she tried it, Princess came in so much better and we got the same flights we would have picked anyway by paying for the deviation. We don't have any airline miles to use for any of the flights at this time, so I'm pleased we are all set.

Hopefully it all works for you. I know another poster on our roll call board for the July 12 cruise is also waitlisted as #7 for a triple cabin. He has a double at this point but another person wants to joing them, so we are hoping.

Hulagirl

You are all the nicest people I have had the pleasure of "talking" with on these boards! I can't believe how kind and helpful you all are! There really must be something about Princess and it's passengers that are outstanding. We are also waitlisted for a AA mini cabin as well, not just an OS. Land lover, thank you for letting me know about the number of teens on board, in addition, Hulagirl it's nice to know that if we do get on your daughter will be there as well. My son does not get bored easily, and is great about going with the flow. I just thought it would be more enjoyable for him if there were at least a few people his age. Thank you all again...I'll post when I hear anything from Princess!

We are number 1 on the waiting list for the 7/12 sailing of the Tahitain Princess. Does anyone have any information or past experience with being waitlisted for this ship? We also have reservations on Mariner of the Seas in case the Princess cruise does not work out, but I'd really prefer the Tahiti cruise (no brainer). Our main problem is we are 3 people, and cabins are somewhat scarce for 3. We are on the list for an OS and AA mini. I would love to hear from anyone that has been waitlisted, and their experiences and any suggestions as to what if anything we can do to determine our chances of actually getting on that sailing. Additionally, we have a 15 year old son, and I just want to know if in fact there are young teens that go on these Tahiti sailings. He likes being with us, but every now and then a break would be nice, I'm sure. Thanks so much on advance!

We are doing a group cruise August 15, 2006. We have had our cabins 8007 & 8009(category AA mini-suites which have 3-4 person capacity) since the bookings opened up. We booked these specific rooms so that we could add a 3rd person to 1 or both cabins, if needed. We called earlier this week to add the 3rd person and, as of now, the 3rd person is waitlisted. Even our agent is amazed that they are waitlisting this early. Princess doesn't seem to think there will be a problem adding the 3rd person eventually, but I just find it interesting that they are already waitlisting people when there are lots of 3-4 people cabins available as well as the 2 we have booked. Something seems a little squirrely!

Re: young adults/teens we were on the Aug.22 sailing(the one with about 20 kids)...the DJ told us the 2 sailings prior to ours... it was party city with many young adults with parents celebrating before going off to college...another poster stated on her Aug.2nd sailing( I think) there were 40 kids so I think there will be plenty of friends for you son to met and mingle with.:) On our sailing most of the older kids were only children and really got the royal treatment from the staff.

Well, I called Princess right after I read Cherylandtk's post, and the rep told me we were still waitlisted as number one for both categories. Then I asked her if there was any way that she could possibly check to see how many teens were booked on this particular cruise. She did check for me, and let me know that there are going to be 9 teens on it.I now think we will cancel this cruise, and book for either 2007 or maybe even 2008. Our son will graduate from high school in 2008 and he would like to go to Hawaii very much, so I think a graduation cruise might be a nice idea. That way I could book an aft OS, as the forward OS cabins do not have an ocean view...they look out to a large deck that has all sorts of "stuff" on it. Hard to explain but from the pictures I've seen, I don't think I'd be very happy in one of those cabins after spending that amount of $ for an OS. By the time he graduates from high school, it won't matter so much as to the number of teens booked, and perhaps we could even invite a best friend of his. I have always wanted to go to Tahiti and surrounding islands so we will indeed do it, just not in 2006.

I want to thank you all once again for all of your kindness and assistance with all my questions. I have been on these boards for several years, and I have never had the pleasure of "talking" with folks as nice as yourselves!!:) I see we have missed out on meeting some great people by not yet going on Princess. I will be booking a Princess cruise, and look forward to perhaps meeting any one of you. Thank you again!!

NoVa Mimi: There is another person on our cruise who has a double cabin but is waitlisted for a triple also. When I read the post yesterday here I wrote and told him that there were some triples open also. Sounds like the online agency made a mistake that they weren't bookable for 3 people afterall, even though they show as triples on the floor plan.

Sorry to read you have decided to not go on the cruise, but glad you asked for the number of teens onboard. We will still be going and I'm sure my daughter will still have a great time. Will tell her though that there won't be many her age aboard though which I know for her will be fine. I really expected there to be a few more though and could be by the time the ship sails. Thanks for the information.

Hulagirl

Archived