How far out have you gotten "upsells"?

DaveOKC

So.....an up sell is like, (let's make a deal) Never heard that term before. Sorry, I'm new to the Holland experience.

After many Celebrity and even more Princess cruises, I'm thinking about a Holland America cruise. I'm trying to think of life without free laundry, an internet package, or my mini bar. Not to mention that I hear there's no fridge in the room. Oh my....but....they have the itinerary that I love. So, I shall be wrinkled, unconnected and bar less. I can handle it...I think. Tell me more about what to LOVE on Holland America....at least they will honor my CCL stock.

The way I consider "upsells" is that you have to have a price in mind that is worth it to you and if one comes your way, you grab it or pass on it (and hope a better offer comes along soon). I know some people have made counter offers (and I guess some have had them excepted), but I think that this is the exception, not the rule.

FYI, what we on this board refer to as an "upsell", HAL refers to as a "paid upgrade". You might keep this in mind when talking directly to a HAL rep, in order to avoid confusion.

As to what to like about HAL - the newer ships have mini-fridges in all the cabins, and I think even the older ones have them in many of the cabins (you need to check out your ship first). I also think that HAL has a great crew, very helpful and friendly. HAL also has great room service - hot items for breakfast, the ability to "write in" items on your breakfast card, and the option of ordering off of the main dining room menu for a room service dinner - try that on another line!

If you like your HAL cruise, be sure to purchase a Future Cruise Deposit while onboard. You get a reduced deposit, On Board Credits on your next cruise, plus you can wait until you get home to book your cruise, using your TA or HAL. Further, about 2 weeks after you get home, you should get a "Thank you for sailing" email from HAL that offers to double your On Board Credit (we get $200 each with these 2 promotions on our 7 day or longer cruises).

That seems a bit expensive for a 10 day cruise! I am used to paying $199-299 for a 7 day, but of course that is on the larger HAL ships, plus moving from a Signature suite to a Neptune.

Our history has shown that you will find the upgrade cost abit higher when on the smaller ships.

Our history has shown that you will find the upgrade cost abit higher when on the smaller ships.

I agree that is the case - thanks for clarifying this, as I am interested in doing this for my upcoming cruise on the Maasdam.

Our 3rd and last offer on Zaandam leaving 4/1 came thursday. moving from vista - category A to Neptune was 1099pp. By the time I called it was gone. this is a 18day cruise. I would have taken it :(

How much were the first two offers for? I would also take it for $1099.

1699pp. Then 1399 pp ended at 1099pp. They originally booked at 7999 pp and the vista a were at 4199pp.

On my cruise the Vista is 3049 and the Neptune 5299, about $2250 difference, as compared to your $3800 difference, so perhaps they will come it around $1000 pp (if any left).

DaveOKC