Redundant Question About Formal Nights

Eriksgarden

I am so sorry for asking a question I am sure has been asked ad nauseum. I understand there is no formal night and people are welcome to dress up if they like. But what is the norm? On the "Night Out", should we wear a suit? I see a few restaurants require collared shirts and shoes, and that's fine. But if we can avoid packing suits, that would be ideal.

You can wear a suit if you want but you don't have to. You won't stand out if you wear just pants and collared shirt or whatever other clothing you would wear to dinner. You will likely see more people dress up on the night out than other nights but there will also be plenty of people not dressed up.

I am so sorry for asking a question I am sure has been asked ad nauseum. I understand there is no formal night and people are welcome to dress up if they like. But what is the norm? On the "Night Out", should we wear a suit? I see a few restaurants require collared shirts and shoes, and that's fine. But if we can avoid packing suits, that would be ideal.

No reason at all to pack a suit if it's not something you personally want to do. You will see anything from shorts to tuxes on "Norwegian's Night Out," so you really should dress however you're most comfortable. Enjoy your cruise!

As you said the question is redundant. You are free to wear a suit any night and every night if that is what YOU want to do. Others will be wearing what THEY feel comfortable in and want to wear.

Don't let what OTHERS say and do influence your decision as it is YOUR decision and only your decision within the very broad guidelines set out by NCL.

I bring a tux when we cruise northern climes, not because I want to, mind you. It makes Commander-in-Chief House happy. On our first NCL cruise on Dream, probably about 25% of the men wore a tux on occasion. It was only about 10% on a Med and Canada trip, and at best 1 or 2 (total, not percentage) in the Caribbean. Do what you want (or what DW passively-aggressively wants [emoji1]). It's Freestyle.

On our cruises to Alaska people wear jeans probably more than on the warm weather cruises I'm guessing.

What I noticed most for dinner attire was men in Docker-type pants and polo shirts. Or other button-up shirts with a collar.

For the women that were dressed nicer what I seemed to notice most was black slacks with a pretty fancier top. I saw a lot of women with shimmery or sparkly tops. Very pretty.

With that said, there are quite a few that do wear jeans to dinner or women wearing cropped pants. I didn't see many in shorts in the dining room that allows that. But I'll bet it's because of the colder Alaska weather.

But, if you do choose to wear jeans, heck, that is just fine. People really, really don't take much notice at all of what others are wearing. Go for whatever you want. That's what it's all about with NCL. Your cruise, how you want it!!! And that is what folks are doing ..... Having fun, the way they consider fun!!! YES! You really, really will not feel out of place with what style you choose!

There were some men in suits, but really, they were in the minority. On Dress-Up-Or-Not-Nights there were quite a few men with a suit on. But I think that is because many folks are getting their photos taken in the atrium on that evening. I would say that on Dress-Up-Or-Not night, 1/3 of folks dressed nicer, and 2/3 dressed pretty casual still.

So, really, what I saw was that dress leaned to casual much more than a suit. Men in suits was really in a big minority. Men with a polo shirt or a button-up collared shirt were what most men were wearing.

That is what we love about NCL ....... casual, if that is what you want. Dressing up, if that is what you want. You really, really can wear what you want ...... and I can assure you, you will not feel out of place at all with whatever you choose.

My wife and I dressed up formal once....and only once....we felt very out of place as less then 25% of people were dressed up. I no longer bring even a suit as they are completely unnecessary on NCL.

6&8