Currency for Croatia

We have noticed that some cafes/restaurants in Dubrovnik will accept Euros, but you are generally going to get an awful exchange rate. Agree that the smart thing is to get some Kuna from an ATM. There is also a currency exchange place at the port (the rates are not the best) or you can walk across the street where there are a couple of places that will exchange tickets (and sell you local bus tickets at a discount).

Hank

be aware, retailers who take euros or dollars will give change in kuna.

The law of Croatia states that the Croatian Kuna is the only legal currency of the country. Vendors should not accept any other foreign currency and yes,if they do change is given back in Kuna. Perhaps that is why guests should utilize the currency of the country.

Especially since you are visiting multiple croatian ports, I would suggest geting some money from the ATM.

I witnessed a really amusing discussion going on at the public toilets in Dubrovnik, where a couple of American ladies insisted on paying with American Dollar bills, and wanted change in American coins. Screaming to the attendant who does not speak english is really not going to help. Don't embarass youself, just get a couple of Kuna.

Our cruise will stop at Dubrovnik and Split. How much Kuna do you suggest I should exchange for the two day visits?

Impossible to answer without knowing how you plan to spend your day. Are you going to walk the wall, ride the cable car or visit any of our cultural sites? Plan on just walking around the town, buying a gelato and return to the ship? Once you decide, you can find out which sites will accept credit card and which only accept Croatian Kuna.

Impossible to answer without knowing how you plan to spend your day. Are you going to walk the wall, ride the cable car or visit any of our cultural sites? Plan on just walking around the town, buying a gelato and return to the ship? Once you decide, you can find out which sites will accept credit card and which only accept Croatian Kuna.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

The wall will definitely be in my itinerary. I'm not sure how far the cable car is away from the cruise port, so I will probably skip this one. I'm also planning to walk around the town and try some local food. If the cultural sites are within walking distance, I would also love to visit. :)

I was going to come on here and mention that the restrooms, according to In Your Pocket's downloadable Dubrovnik guide, charge 5 kuna, so you should at least have a little for that - or else go to a restaurant and buy lunch with a credit card and visit the restroom! However, I see someone already mentioned the women arguing about U.S. money in the restrooms (WC). Shame on them. They must have really needed to go to the bathroom, and didn't realize in Europe you often have to pay, but it's still pretty rude. Anyway, have some kuna for the restroom!

Assuming you're on a cruise ship that docks at the port, I just thought I'd mention that it's not right by the Old City, but rather in Gruz, north of there. SO - unless your ship provides a shuttle or you take one of their shore excursions, you'll need to walk for a half hour or pay for a way to the Old City part of Dubrovnik. I suppose some cab drivers will accept euros, but if you want to take a public bus (near by) you'll need kunas (15 one way, I think, although day passes are available) for that. I think walking the wall is 100 or thereabouts, and their sign says they take credit cards. The cable car is within walking distance of the Old City (although outside of it) and I think it costs 100 kuna roundtrip but varies a bit depending upon whether you travel by day/evening. Don't know if they take credit cards, but they do have a website you could check if you later decide to do that.

There are a couple things like the Franciscan Monastery Museum with it's very old pharmacy that charge admission - generally around 30 kunas I think. (When I looked a while back, one kuna was $0.15; not sure how that compares to dollars or pounds.)

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/pdfs/guide2012.pdf has a lot of good info and a good map. Also tomsportguides.com has a good guide for cruisers on Dubrovnik, and inyourpocket.com has a downloadable guide that's very detailed (go to generic Dubrovnik info, and then find guide on left panel to download; gets updated frequently).