Restaurant Recommendataions in Stockholm & Copenhagen?

I'd like a recommendation (northland - are you there?) for lunch and dinner in Stockholm - at least one suggestion for a great seafood place, and a "real Swedish Cuisine" restaurant.

Also, a recommendaiton for Copenhagen - something we couldn't find outside Denmark.

Thanks!

Here's a previous thread for Copenhagen restaurants:

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=8463082432&m=21810976&r=609101241#609101241

And - here's one for Stockholm:

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=8463082432&m=94710089&r=636105201#636105201

<')))><

Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

The link to Stockholm restaurants posted by juliejoe above is an answer I wrote to a question about restaurants in the Old Town. If we look at Stockholm in general I would like to add two other places which are just north of the Old Town. The first one is Operakällaren, which is situated in the Royal Opera building. The restaurant is classed as a historic monument, and the interior is really something special. But it is also high on the list of high quality cuisine. Here is the link to read more Operakällaren.

The other one is F12. The interior here is very plain, as far from Operakällaren as you can imagine, but in my mind this is the best kitchen in Stockholm. The food is very innovative, and you don’t order the normal starter, entrée, and dessert. Instead you will have a number of smaller dishes, perhaps five or more. Here is the link F12

I don’t know any special sea food restaurant, but we have very good fish here and fish or seafood is often the best choice on the menu in my opinion. As for a restaurant with traditional Swedish food perhaps Den Gyllene Freden is the best. I know that if you ask at the hotel they will often recommend a restaurant named Diana, in the Old Town. This place has a nice interior in the cellar vaults in an old building, but it is almost entirely aimed at tourists. I wouldn’t recommend it as an example of the best Swedish food today.

north-bound:

I do have a question..I went to the Operakallaren site...they have 4 restaurants - were you referring to the main dining room, or do you recommend all their venues?

• 2 weeks later...

In Copenhagen, while walking the Stroget, we followed another Cruise Critic's recommendation for "danish pastries to die for", at Illum's department store. We had wonderful raspberry and blackberry torte with tea and coffee, a delightful stop when you're tired from walking.

I am sorry I had missed that there was a further question for me on this thread. Now that it is summer I spend most of my time in my little house out in the Stockholm archipelago, where there is no computer. So it is only on occasional visits to town that I can check the CC boards.

At Operakällaren it is the main dining room that has the spectacular interior and the top cuisine. However, that does not mean the rest of the establishment is bad.

There is a problem with restaurants in Stockholm during the summer, so many of them close down for several weeks. I have checked with the ones I have recommended here, and this is the sad situation:

Operkällaren is closed from July 11 untill August 9.

F12 is closed from July 11 untill August 15.

Den Gyldene Freden is open for dinner only all summer, except Sundays and Mondays.

Pontus in the Green House is open for dinner only all summer, except Sundays.

Gondolen is open for dinner only all summer, except Sundays.

I have never been able to understand why so many of our best restaurants are closed at the time when there are most visitors in Stockholm, but I guess the staff wants their summer vacations just as everybody else.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a problem with restaurants in Stockholm during the summer, so many of them close down for several weeks. I have checked with the ones I have recommended here, and this is the sad situation:

Operkällaren is closed from July 11 untill August 9.

F12 is closed from July 11 untill August 15.

Den Gyldene Freden is open for dinner only all summer, except Sundays and Mondays.

Pontus in the Green House is open for dinner only all summer, except Sundays.

Gondolen is open for dinner only all summer, except Sundays.

I have never been able to understand why so many of our best restaurants are closed at the time when there are most visitors in Stockholm, but I guess the staff wants their summer vacations just as everybody else.

The Grand Hôtel has a very fine restaurant, The French Dining Room, that until this summer was closed during July. However now they remain open for dinner during the peak tourist season. Monday through Friday from 6PM until 11:00. Very nice place, but also expensive. The Grand is located directly across the water from the Royal Palace.

Skål

Al

Hi!

Other choices for restaurants that serve traditional Swedish food (also called husmanskost) are:

Verandan

The Grand Hôtel (across the water from the Royal Palace)If you want to try a real Swedish Smorgasbord, this is the place!

www.grandhotel.se

Vardshuset Ulla Winblad

Rosendalsvägen 8, Djurgarden (10 minutes walk from the Vasa Museum).

Tel +46-8-663 05 71

Bakfickan

The Opera House

www.operakallaren.se/bakfickan.cfm

Grand National

Regeringsgatan 74

www.grandnational.aos.se

Fjäderholmarnas Krog

http://www.fjaderholmarna.com/

Stora Fjäderholmarna, +46-8-718 33 55

A short boat ride (25 minutes) from Slussen will take you to this small archipelago island where you can watch the cruise ships pass by.

Maria (native stockholmer) :)

We just retirned from the Constellation's July 3-17 Baltic cruise. We were in Copenhagen July 13 & 14. We had our best meal of the cruise in a Copenhagen micro-brewery restaurant. Here is a excerpt from my journal.

----------------

- After returning by train to Copenhagen Central Station at 6:30PM, we immediately went to eat dinner at a restaurant near the station and Tivoli that was recommended by Rick Steves, the Bryggeriet Apollo, which is also a micro-brewery. Gail had rump of lamb (Lammeculotte) and I had Plaice, a flat "Danish Plaice" fish (Ovnbagt rødspætte) that tastes more like lobster than fish. Wonderful! The food was the most enjoyable that we have had on the entire cruise.

Archived