Things not to write on the Cunard Board....

guernseyguy

In another thread, a first time traveller was sufficiently ill advised to write that her first 'cruise' was a 'Trans Atlantic', for which she had the error of her ways gently pointed out......so I wondered what other solecisms, faux pas, or howlers we should advise novice posters to eschew. Starting with the mother of them all:

1. Trans Atlantic crossing not cruise.
  2. QE2 is the ship, QEII is the monarch, not that you'll get far addressing or describing the monarch thus.....and whether the '2' is because she's named after the first QE (Cunard) or after the monarch is a whole other story....
  3. RMS for Queen Mary 2, HMS is for a warship - even though Cunard recently described the monarch thus.....although having a yet to be built aircraft carrier naming the QM2 would have been a sight to see!
  4. Liner vs Cruise ship - this one is less straight forward, as in truth both the QE2 and QM2 are dual purpose liner (point to point, to a given timetable, whatever the weather) and cruise ships - pottering around, generally a lot slower.....

Well, there's four to get the ball rolling!;)

I truly bristle when a person whom has traveled onboard a Cunard ship is referred to as a "Cunarder". Or worse is when a person calls themself a "Cunarder'! I'm sorry, but a Cunarder is created by man of steel and wood to transport people across the seven seas. A Cunarder is always a she, and when travelling on a Cunarder there is a certain undefinable quality that a Cunarder is imbued with.

Guilty as charged your honour!!!!!

Not sure how many times I've referred to my trip as a cruise!!!!

But then I am doing transatlantic and splendours of the fall. What would you call splendours of the fall. A cruise or something else???

What exactly does RMS stand for. I thought it was something to do with Royal mail. Is this not correct??

One things for sure whether they are cruise ships/liners they all float so in my book that makes them a ship!!

Elaine

Yes - it stands for Royal Mail Ship.

It also stands for Root Mean Squared and Record Management Systems

but I doubt that you will need to use either on board unless:

1. You need to calculate the probability of your partner's location on the ship or

2. You are taking your entire collection of past Cunard brochures, menus, deck plans, etc with you to put into some kind of order during the crossing/cruise.

Here's a tidbit about rooms on QE 2:

The Queen's Room is a lounge that is named in honor of the current monarch, Queen Elizabeth II. Hence, it is called the Queen's Room (with apostrophe).

The Queens Grill Restaurant and Queens Grill Lounge are both named after former Cunard liners, RMS Queen Mary and RMS Queen Elizabeth. Hence, the rooms are called Queens Grill and Queens Grill Lounge (no apostrophe).

Michael

I truly bristle when a person whom has traveled onboard a Cunard ship is referred to as a "Cunarder". Or worse is when a person calls themself a "Cunarder'! I'm sorry, but a Cunarder is created by man of steel and wood to transport people across the seven seas. A Cunarder is always a she, and when travelling on a Cunarder there is a certain undefinable quality that a Cunarder is imbued with.

Am personal friends with the person whose user ID on this Forum is Cunarder. We we were on QM2 last November speaking with Captain Wright I mentioned that Ed's screen name was Cunarder which Paul Wright thought was marvelous.

Afternoon Tea is served in the Queens Room, not High Tea.

The Queens Room is a lounge. The Queens Grill is a restaurant.

Well said. But might you agree the Children's Tea could be called a High Tea as is is served at 5:30pm and includes some supper type items?

And the Queens Grill Lounge is a lounge.

[*]Liner vs Cruise ship - this one is less straight forward, as in truth both the QE2 and QM2 are dual purpose liner (point to point, to a given timetable, whatever the weather) and cruise ships - pottering around, generally a lot slower.....

How about when the ship is in the Carribean it is a cruise and when traveling most elsewhere liner? I mention this the atmosphere was "cruise like" in the Carib with much pottering around and general slowness. If you colud have heard "Who let the Dog's Out" in the Queens Room during the Sail Away Party........

Jeanne

Am personal friends with the person whose user ID on this Forum is Cunarder. We we were on QM2 last November speaking with Captain Wright I mentioned that Ed's screen name was Cunarder which Paul Wright thought was marvelous.

I understand what you are saying about using "Cunarder" as a name to post under on this web site. I have no problems with that, just as I have no problem naming myself after a musical instrument or one of the Greek muses.

It's when someone refers to themself as a "Cunarder" just because they have been on a Cunard ship that bothers me. I agree with Capt. Wright in this context "Cunarder" is a great name!

on the subect of usernames, mine is CUNARDQUEEN.....Cunard for the shipping company and Queen as in Queen Elizabeth 2, of which lm a huge fan and a regular traveller,

It proved a hoot at the FOD party onboard last year, but thats another story..

But my pet hate is when people refer to QE2 as a boat

I understand what you are saying about using "Cunarder" as a name to post under on this web site. I have no problems with that, just as I have no problem naming myself after a musical instrument or one of the Greek muses.

It's when someone refers to themself as a "Cunarder" just because they have been on a Cunard ship that bothers me. I agree with Capt. Wright in this context "Cunarder" is a great name!

Sorry, I misunderstood. I seem to remember you Liner Guy - Russ mentioning that you live near him. If so, please tell Russ that he is missed on this forum.

Thanks

Jeanne

Archived