Advice needed for getting around Miami

johnthechemist

Have booked a 5nt Magic Cruise leaving from Miami in December 2015. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale early and spending 2 nights at a hotel in Pompano Beach and was planning to rent a car. So far so good.

The question is what to do when we return from the cruise. Our return flight is late afternoon/early evening. I'm debating whether to rent the car for the whole week and leave at a Park and Cruise lot. I really like the idea of having a car to keep the luggage in while we spend some time exploring more of Miami. Then driving to FLL and turn the rental in. However, the thought of paying for 5 days or non-use makes me cringes.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Have booked a 5nt Magic Cruise leaving from Miami in December 2015. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale early and spending 2 nights at a hotel in Pompano Beach and was planning to rent a car. So far so good.

The question is what to do when we return from the cruise. Our return flight is late afternoon/early evening. I'm debating whether to rent the car for the whole week and leave at a Park and Cruise lot. I really like the idea of having a car to keep the luggage in while we spend some time exploring more of Miami. Then driving to FLL and turn the rental in. However, the thought of paying for 5 days or non-use makes me cringes.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Well, I'd start with comparing the price between the full week and 2 separate rentals. Not sure how much time you'll really have to explore between clearing Customs and being at the airport a couple hours early, but we do like to have a car when we have a late flight also. It would bother me to pay for 5 unused days as well as the risk of something happening to the car while in the lot and I'd be responsible.

One question--will the return day put you at a week or will that extend you into the 8th day? That could make a huge difference in price.

Some Quotes from online sites are treating it as a week, others as a week+1 day. My estimated drop off time is 2 hrs later than my estimated pickup time.

What has surprised me, is how much a two day rental is. The smaller agencies prices for a week are less than the big brands for two days. We'd be looking for a full size or a small SUV.

Edited by johnthechemist

We never rent a car without some sort of discount code or other "deal." You can often find these at rentalcodes.com, in travel magazines, etc. They can reduce the price by as much as 50% or as little as 5%. On one trip, in June I could get a minivan for $39 TOTAL including all taxes, etc. In May, the same rental was $93. Makes no sense, but that's what it was because our week spanned the first of the month.

I don't know what to tell you. I'd probably base it on price. 3 days of rental fees vs. 1 week of rental + parking.

Hi John,

There is a shared ride service in Miami/Fort Lauderdale called Super Shuttle. It works well for exactly your type of situation. They will pick you up at either the Airport, Seaport, or from your hotel, and drop you off at the airport or other landmark, for a flat rate. Their vans are very similar to hotel shuttles. Also, they have a fare calculator on their website that will let you price it out in advance.

Much cheaper than a cab, especially if you hit downtown Miami traffic (ugh). Having lived in Miami for over 20 years, I can say many of the cabs are smelly and corrupt. Also, a good number of them do not speak English fluently- if at all. A cab would be my last resort.

Edited by Loueloui

I never heard OP mention a cab at all.

Super Shuttle is a franchise. We've had excellent service in some cities (Seattle, in particular) and horrible service in others (New York). Sorry, I've never used them in Miami.

But my take is that OP wants to have the ability to do some sightseeing or whatever on his disembarkation day and is trying to figure out the most cost effective way to make it work with 2 "pre-days" and one "post-day."

I never heard OP mention a cab at all.

Super Shuttle is a franchise. We've had excellent service in some cities (Seattle' date=' in particular) and horrible service in others (New York). Sorry, I've never used them in Miami.

But my take is that OP wants to have the ability to do some sightseeing or whatever on his disembarkation day and is trying to figure out the most cost effective way to make it work with 2 "pre-days" and one "post-day."[/quote']

moki'smommy is correct. The problem with Cabs and Shuttle's is we are still left holding the luggage for 10 hours if we want to go to a Beach or somewhere.

Regarding language issues, got that one covered. Wife is a polyglot and speaks 6 languages including Spanish from growing up in South America.