Tampa Eats

RedRover96

We are arriving in Tampa this Sat and will be staying close to the International Plaza. Since our hotel has a free shuttle to the Plaza figured we would spend the late afternoon and evening there vs. hold up in the hotel. Does anyone have good restaurant recommendations immediately around the International Plaza?

Thanks!

International Plaza has many very good restaurants. Don't let the fact that they are located in a shopping mall ( a very upscale one) fool you. Some are better than others and some need reservations for a decent table and dining time.

Here is a link to the dining establishments at IP:

http://www.shopinternationalplaza.com/dining_entertainment

I dined at Brio last week and IMO the food and service was top notch.

http://www.brioitalian.com/international_plaza.html

For a Sports Bar feel with totally amazing food, Leeroy Selmon's Restaurant is just around the corner from International Plaza. I love that place and have never had a bad meal there...... amazing BBQ.

http://www.leeroyselmons.com/locations/store/1

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

you are close to some REALLY good restaurants if willing to take a cab . . .

when ever in Tampa, a trip to Bern's is the top of my list. One of the top 10 steak houses in the US .... the LARGEST wine list ... and a completely sep' dining room for dessert

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

or Columbia in Ybor City

"If you cherish your palate, visit the Columbia. Try the Paella "A la Valenciana," the Snapper "Alicante," and the Pompano en Papillot. Relish the black bean soup and fried ripe plantains. And with every iota of conviction you possess, order the flan. Made in the Cuban style with sweetened condensed milk, this evanescent egg custard tastes like a dream from which you hope to never awaken." Southern Living

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/ybor.asp

• 2 weeks later...

So can someone tell me. Is this International Plaza actually within the airport???

We are staying out at Rocky Point. They have free shuttle to and from the airport. But they charge $10 if we want to go somewhere else.

If we want to pick up some last minutes things, including wine for the cruise. Would the International Plaza be an option? And is it actually "at" the airport ???

The International Plaza isn't part of the airport, we were there week before last before our cruise. It is "adjacent" to the airport however gut feeling your hotel at Rocky Point would not consider it part of the airport. I will have to let somebody more familiar with Tampa give you places maybe within walking distance of Rocky Point to pick up last minute supplies. I will say if you have time to spend, International Plaza is a great destination, however for cruise supplies, no.

So can someone tell me. Is this International Plaza actually within the airport???

We are staying out at Rocky Point. They have free shuttle to and from the airport. But they charge $10 if we want to go somewhere else.

If we want to pick up some last minutes things, including wine for the cruise. Would the International Plaza be an option? And is it actually "at" the airport ???

International Plaza is an upscale mall that is very near TIA. It is not however affiliated or on airport property. The mall has many upscale shops and restaurants but there is not anyplace within, to my knowledge, to purchase any wine or pre-cruise type supplies.

Rocky Point Island is mainly composed of hotels and corporate type businesses. Unfortunately there are no stores of any type located in this area. You would need to take the $10 hotel shuttle to an area store. I am thinking that the two closest would be either the 24 hr Walgreens or the Super Target.

Rocky Point is definitely one of the prettiest pre-cruise places to stay as far as most hotels being waterfront but not the most convenient in terms of being able to have lots of restaurants and stores within walking distance.

Some of the hotels such as Chase Suites and the Best Western Harbor View have small gift shops/sundries stores that carry sunscreen and such. They do sell pop and water but it would be in the singles not a 6 or 12 pack like most cruisers would prefer. I also do not believe that they sell wine.

Best bet is take the hotel shuttle. It would cost the $10 but would be totally worth knowing that you will be able to purchase your supplies all at one time.

For a Sports Bar feel with totally amazing food, Leeroy Selmon's Restaurant is just around the corner from International Plaza. I love that place and have never had a bad meal there...... amazing BBQ.

http://www.leeroyselmons.com/locations/store/1

We ate at Lee Roy Selmon's in Feb when we sailed out of Tampa. We really enjoyed the food and the staff were super accommodating of our group of 10. You can do call ahead seating, but they don't do typical reservations.

Dan.