Stockholm/Ice Bar

amfc

I noticed on the website that the bar only opens at 3pm, and since most ships leave around 4pm, is there enough time to squeeze in a visit if you are at the bar for 3pm? I noticed on the website the max capacity is 30 people, does that mean there is a lineup to get in? The ship offers a tour but I would much prefer to do it solo...I wonder, if the ship tour is also there at 3pm, is there still a chance of non tour folk getting in? Any personal experiences would be appreciated, thanks!

We tried like crazy to get in the ice bar using our meet and mingle group to come up with 30 people so they would open early for us. Unfortunatly, the ships book the place and it seemed almost impossible to get in unless you take one of the ships tours. A couple I met on the ship had walked by the ice bar and said they could have walked right in even though RCI had booked it. If you can't/won't pay the high price the cruise wants, you could try that. It is near or in old town and I believe the cost is $20 which includes, poncho, gloves, boots and one drink.

Jewel of the Sea May 2004

Serenade of the Sea August 2003

Splendour of the Sea August 1999

Legend of the Sea August 1997

Rotterdam May 1989

We are lucky enough to be able to stay overnight in Stockholm, so I booked reservations for the Ice Bar for the evening. The people on the other end of the computer are really nice, so I recommend asking.

Of course, we haven't been there yet, so who knows what will happen.

I made reservations for 8 people (not a large group) via e-mail and was able to collect that size group. 2 are traveling with us on Red October trip and the other 4 met on the boards. None have we ever met face-to-face yet.

We went to the Ice Bar on June 14 prior to our Baltic cruise on the Regatta. It is interesting and much smaller than I had thought it would be. We went about 6 o'clock and there were only about 2 or 3 people there. We paid a cover charge which included the coat, gloves, and one drink. I think it was about $18pp.

Joan

• 4 weeks later...

We stayed four days in Stockholm, two days at the Nordic Sea Hotel before the cruise and two days on the Constellation docked at Stockholm. The Ice Bar was in our hotel. Here is my journal post on the subject:

- We were not planning on going to the Ice Bar, but after dinner on our last night at the hotel, we decided to try it after arriving at the hotel after dinner. You give them your name and they give you a badge with a number on it. We waited about 30 minutes before we were called. The fee is $20 which includes your first drink. We went to the Ice Bar around 11PM - dressed in parkas and drank vodka from ice glasses at an ice bar in an ice room - fun, actually. The glasses melted where your lips touched them.

We are back from the trip and the Ice Bar was great fun. When our pictures are all sorted out (and if I can figure out how) I'll post a picture.

We had a reservation for 8, but there were 9 of us and nobody minded. It wasn't crowded, but it was a good thing we had the reservations because they closed at 9:00 pm to redo the floor and had we planned to drop in later, we would have been out of luck. My husband put his drink on the bar where it promptly slid to the floor and smashed (luckily it was only ice). The bartender immediately replaced it. He was friendly and even gave me cloudberries even though they didn't belong in my drink. It didn't hurt that we tipped him about 10%.

It is worth finding it. However, the shuttle quit running too early and we luckily found a cab driver willing to deal with 5 people instead of only 4 who took us to the ship for $35 US.

As I said above, we went to the Ice Bar this month (July, 2004). I took a number of photos inside. Most of them were without flash so as to capture the cold blue apperance of the place. I've inserted one such photo here.

4033&.dnm=5ce2.jpg

Archived