Dilemma: cruise destination early January 2016

LVHappyCamper

I am looking for advice from all of you wonderful carnival travelers. DH and I are looking to surprise our DD with a cruise for her 21st birthday. Since she is still in college, the best time to take it will be when she is home for Christmas break, so we are planning to go early January 2016. We have only cruised to the Mexican Riviera and I know she would prefer to go someplace tropical. I have been looking into all options, but cannot decide Jamaica, Bahamas or ???. Any inputs , ideas or suggestions? departure cities are not limited because we would have to fly to wherever we leave from.:eek:

I am looking for advice from all of you wonderful carnival travelers. DH and I are looking to surprise our DD with a cruise for her 21st birthday. Since she is still in college, the best time to take it will be when she is home for Christmas break, so we are planning to go early January 2016. We have only cruised to the Mexican Riviera and I know she would prefer to go someplace tropical. I have been looking into all options, but cannot decide Jamaica, Bahamas or ???. Any inputs , ideas or suggestions? departure cities are not limited because we would have to fly to wherever we leave from.:eek:

The Carnival Valor sails out of Port Canaveral Jan. 2, 2016 (7 day cruise) to Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and Grand Turk.

I debated between Jan. 2nd and Jan. 16 - chose the 16th

Edited by lizardhowson

The Carnival Valor sails out of Port Canaveral Jan. 2, 2016 (7 day cruise) to Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and Grand Turk.

I debated between Jan. 2nd and Jan. 16 - chose the 16th

We chose the 16th as well!

The Bahamas can be a little cool compared to Carribbean ports in January. We loved the itinerary sailing out of San Juan. I believe the Liberty will be sailing out of there in January. St.Thomas, St. Martin, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Croix, Barbados, Antigua, and Dominica are all great ports. Aruba was one of our favorite ports.

Edited by kteachcruiser52

Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay are my two favorite ports, you have two perfect beach days and you don't have to spend any money for tour. Conquest leaves Fort Lauderdale on January 3rd for 6 days cruise and Glory leaves Miami on January 9th for 7 days cruise.

If you like to visit Mayan Ruin sides and snorkel, go to Western Caribbean route that visit Costa Maya, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. There are many Carnival ships leaves from different ports that go to Western Caribbean route.

Which ever cruise you take, she will enjoy it.

It seems that overwhelmingly, the Bahamas stops are the least favorite. Time and time again I see people talk about how the ports are just nothing compared to the other itineraries, whether western or southern caribbean. I will be going to the Bahamas on the Dream in 9 days so I will come back and let you know what we thought of the ports. Of course, I think a cruise even to the worst ports would be awesome, I would haven problem staying on the boat if I wanted!

Thank you to those who have replied. Silly question....what might the weather be like? 60's 70's or maybe 80's? I didn't even think about the Virgin Islands. From the west coast we are limited to our options...but east coast too many choices but I have faith you all will help me. lol

BigB0882 that would be wonderful.

:)

Thank you to those who have replied. Silly question....what might the weather be like? 60's 70's or maybe 80's? I didn't even think about the Virgin Islands. From the west coast we are limited to our options...but east coast too many choices but I have faith you all will help me. lol

BigB0882 that would be wonderful.

:)

I cruised twice in January, during my kids winter break from college. Most of the time it's in the 80's and pretty humid! :eek: It's very big different from where you and I live (I live in Central Valley California).

We're in Miami during our first cruise in January 2009. They had a record low temperature drop down to mid 50's and I saw many locals wore those puffy ski jackets. :p

We always cruise in January, mostly out of Miami because weather is always nice there too so it gets you into cruise mode early. Our last cruise was on the Breeze. Loved it. Beautiful ship, a lot to do, large, but you don't feel crowded. Great places to sit around pool all comfy with padded chair & ottomans. I can't say enough about this ship. You won't be disappointed and I think your daughter would really enjoy what is offered on this ship. Check it out you won't be disappointed!

Here is a link to unscientific survey/poll Carnival cruisers.

Jamaica and Bahama come up as the least favorite ports for similar reason (pushy and aggressive vendors). We're okay in Ocho Rios because our private tour guide/driver told them to buzz off. Many cruisers like Grand Cayman, Half Moon Cay and St Maarten. They're my favorite also.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1045400&highlight=least+favorite+ports+polls&page=2

It seems that overwhelmingly, the Bahamas stops are the least favorite. Time and time again I see people talk about how the ports are just nothing compared to the other itineraries, whether western or southern caribbean. I will be going to the Bahamas on the Dream in 9 days so I will come back and let you know what we thought of the ports. Of course, I think a cruise even to the worst ports would be awesome, I would haven problem staying on the boat if I wanted!

I love the Bahamas, hubby not so much. In January, it's downright chilly sometimes in Nassau.

We always cruise in January, mostly out of Miami because weather is always nice there too so it gets you into cruise mode early. Our last cruise was on the Breeze. Loved it. Beautiful ship, a lot to do, large, but you don't feel crowded. Great places to sit around pool all comfy with padded chair & ottomans. I can't say enough about this ship. You won't be disappointed and I think your daughter would really enjoy what is offered on this ship. Check it out you won't be disappointed!

One thing to note about sailing out of Miami if you don't normally sail out of this southern port is the high number of Spanish speaking cruisers and the entertainment geared toward the Latino community. We had a large group of young girls celebrating their 15th birthdays (think 50 American girls celebrating sweet 16 in a big way, with elaborate dresses and events all over the ship throughout the cruise). It was fun, but I hadn't cruised out of Miami in a long time and didn't consider these factors.

The Breeze has an 8 days Jan 2 itinerary to St Thomas, StMaarten, Antigua and Amber Cove that sounds ideal.

Sails out of Miami.

This sounds ideal. Our son had to be back in college by Jan. 12th, or around there, so we had to go the first week of January this year to celebrate his 21st back in November- his work schedule would not allow a Christmas leave.

St. Thomas is one of my favorite ports. We ended up doing the classic Western cruise, with somewhat rainy weather, but we did have some warm afternoons. We did four beach days, one with zip-lining right at the port- in Cozumel, Roatan, Honduras, and Costa Maya. Very good price for this one, as well.