If this boats a rockin' ......

jpinct

OK, OK let's keep it family friendly. For all Zenith / Horizon cruisers, a question regarding the stability of these vessels heading to/from Bermuda. I've read many posts which speak about rather rough sailings. I've also seen photos of the swimming pools during these trips. I know that this class of ship is the smallest in Celebrity's fleet, but it's over two football fields long! As a cruise rookie, that seems pretty big to me.

Can anyone provide some insight into just how "rocky" our trip may be? Thank you very much.

JPinCT

Red

Right

Return

We took the Zenith last summer from NYC to Bermuda. I had also heard the stories and was prepared for a bumpy ride. The trip across was smooth as glass. Coming back we went through a storm. We sat huddled on deck chairs watching the water from the pool crash onto the deck like a tidal wave. To say it was rocky is putting it mildly. However, as long as we stayed on the deck we didn't get sick and it was actually kind of exciting. This was in July by the way. You never know what you're going to hit in the Atlantic.

Hi, first time to Bermuda is coming up for me in Septembericon_smile.gif

From what I have been told the Atlantic and the Pacific are always rougher than Caribbean Waters.

When I was on the Mercury in March, there were a couple of days that were a bit rocky. And some cruisers from these boards explained it to me...that when you are going North...from Cabo back up to San Francisco the ship is going "against the current" so that can make things rocky.

Now, I am not sure what would make the Atlantic rocky when sailing to Bermuda, other than just a Noreaster (as we would say here in FL). Also from June until Nov it is hurricane season, so that also affects those "Bermuda waters".

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Passing Cape Hatteras makes a little rough water. Nothing a little dramamine can't handle...can't wait to go. We're on the Zenith 10/2....

See ya...Robin

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

10/04...Zenith to Bermuda...

Zeneth reportedly has still noticeable dents (if you look close) in the HULL icon_eek.gif bashed in during a NYC - Bermuda crossing 10 years ago when the Captain made a very poor - career ending (at least with X) decision to try to depart smartly and out maneuver a hurricane blowing north 'tween the Carolinas and Bermuda when then RCL and NCL skippers stayed in the Apple for avoidance sake. According to the CC knowledgeable, including an X basher who was onboard, the attendant injuries were nasty (as is his memory). The Cap was discharged by the line which to this day (thanks to the net) lives down a very bad pax injuring cruise experience.

That said... never been... but I know that Golden Princess lost promenade deck windows in Sept. '02 due to "conditions"...

Rock n' Roll! icon_biggrin.gif

I was in the Navy from l950-l954 and have made many trips from Key West, Fla. up to Boston and Norfolk, Va. and have been in some terrible seas and some very good ones. It will just be the luck of the draw for your cruise. We took the Zenith to Bermuda about 5 years ago in July and only had 1 night of rough waters. Enjoy!!

Don

took horizon mid august 04 from nyc to bermuda. the water was a little rough the first night and part of the next day. not bad though. coming back was fine.

you will be fine. just take some bonine before you cruise and during the early part of the cruise and you should be good to go.

Galaxy From Rome

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;8;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I agree with you, Gann. It really is the luck of the draw. We cruised to Bermuda twice in the last 4 years. Both cruises were on Celebrity's Zenith, and both were in mid-July. On our first trip we encountered a storm and it was extremely rocky for one night. On our second cruise we found the water to be very calm.

The only reason why I asked about when you were sailing, Jpinct,is because it was my understanding that August thru October is considered hurricane season in the Atlantic. No need to be too worried because your Captain will do whatever he can to avoid one, even if the itinerary has to be changed or adjusted a little.

The Zenith is a wonderful ship and I hope you enjoy every minute of your cruise.

Archived