This looks like a good camera deal

Mikes145

Maybe not anything the dedicated photographer would get in a lather over but it might be an awesome gift for a younger relative with a budding interest in photography.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Just picked up a new in the box canon 5d mark iii for 1999.00. I think that was a great deal!!!:D

It's a pretty good price.

To be honest, I think there rarely is such a thing as a "great deal." Especially in the internet age, where buyers and sellers can instantly compare pricing. Sure, you may find a good sale price and save 5% here or there. But you don't get a $2500 camera for $1000.

Sometimes you get a situation where 1 retailer drops their prices before another retailer.. but it's an older product, and prices are ultimately dropping everywhere.

The 5Diii is a good example of that. It's almost 3 years old. It might be replaced in the coming months. So retailers are reducing their stock.

So $1999 is a GREAT deal, compared to the original pricing. But it's regular pricing has dropped significantly... Amazon has it for $2500, same as Adorama and all the other retailers.

So you saved $500 compared to other US retailers. You also likely bought a gray market.... So you have an iffy warranty. (Not the official warranty).

So yes, you got a deal... $1999 for a great camera with an iffy warranty, compared to $2500 for the same camera with a genuine warranty. I'd consider that a pretty good deal.. save 20%, in exchange for taking a gamble on the warranty.

But you do have to take the gamble to get that deal.

By shopping carefully, I've definitely saved 5-15% here and there. But when you see "great deal -- 50% off the original price" -- You then find that it is being discontinued. And likely, even if this is the first retailer to offer the pricing, everyone will be offering similar pricing soon.

Though in general -- It can be a good deal, to buy cameras just as they are being discontinued. If you don't need the absolute latest and greatest..

Often the differences between the "old" and "new" models may be very minor, but the price difference is significant. So you can get a "great deal" by buying the older model. (For example, I recommended the Nikon J4 to someone.. it's replacement is about to be announced, so there is some deep discounted clearance pricing on it now).

Okay, I've done enough rambling.

It's a pretty good price.

To be honest, I think there rarely is such a thing as a "great deal." Especially in the internet age, where buyers and sellers can instantly compare pricing. Sure, you may find a good sale price and save 5% here or there. But you don't get a $2500 camera for $1000.

Sometimes you get a situation where 1 retailer drops their prices before another retailer.. but it's an older product, and prices are ultimately dropping everywhere.

The 5Diii is a good example of that. It's almost 3 years old. It might be replaced in the coming months. So retailers are reducing their stock.

So $1999 is a GREAT deal, compared to the original pricing. But it's regular pricing has dropped significantly... Amazon has it for $2500, same as Adorama and all the other retailers.

So you saved $500 compared to other US retailers. You also likely bought a gray market.... So you have an iffy warranty. (Not the official warranty).

So yes, you got a deal... $1999 for a great camera with an iffy warranty, compared to $2500 for the same camera with a genuine warranty. I'd consider that a pretty good deal.. save 20%, in exchange for taking a gamble on the warranty.

But you do have to take the gamble to get that deal.

By shopping carefully, I've definitely saved 5-15% here and there. But when you see "great deal -- 50% off the original price" -- You then find that it is being discontinued. And likely, even if this is the first retailer to offer the pricing, everyone will be offering similar pricing soon.

Though in general -- It can be a good deal, to buy cameras just as they are being discontinued. If you don't need the absolute latest and greatest..

Often the differences between the "old" and "new" models may be very minor, but the price difference is significant. So you can get a "great deal" by buying the older model. (For example, I recommended the Nikon J4 to someone.. it's replacement is about to be announced, so there is some deep discounted clearance pricing on it now).

Okay, I've done enough rambling.

Warranty was an issue for me before I made the purchase,,so I contacted the seller and was assured that they are an authorized canon retailer and I would need to fill out the registration card for my one year canon warranty to apply,,,I see there are two new 5d models,,,the 5dS and the 5dSR,,50.6 mega pixels??? :eek::eek:

Warranty was an issue for me before I made the purchase,,so I contacted the seller and was assured that they are an authorized canon retailer and I would need to fill out the registration card for my one year canon warranty to apply,,,I see there are two new 5d models,,,the 5dS and the 5dSR,,50.6 mega pixels??? :eek::eek:

If it's truly an authorized dealer, then it is a very good deal. I know an authorized retailer where I could get the 5diii for about $2200. And I've seen the grey market on eBay for $1999.

50mp... Eh. I don't even want 36mp cameras, the files are too big. But there are those who are still interested in MP wars, and then there are a few photographers where the extra resolution actually is meaningful. (Those who would otherwise be using medium format) .

For me, I like a really responsive camera, with great low light performance, and a good amount of resolution. (My ideals are the 5diii and the Nikon D750).

If it's truly an authorized dealer, then it is a very good deal. I know an authorized retailer where I could get the 5diii for about $2200. And I've seen the grey market on eBay for $1999.

50mp... Eh. I don't even want 36mp cameras, the files are too big. But there are those who are still interested in MP wars, and then there are a few photographers where the extra resolution actually is meaningful. (Those who would otherwise be using medium format) .

For me, I like a really responsive camera, with great low light performance, and a good amount of resolution. (My ideals are the 5diii and the Nikon D750).

I've seen your pics havoc and they are fantastic!!! What do you have for glass??? I'm currently using my father in laws 24-105 f4L and 70-200 f4L but am looking to purchase my own,,,any recommendations??:)

I've seen your pics havoc and they are fantastic!!! What do you have for glass??? I'm currently using my father in laws 24-105 f4L and 70-200 f4L but am looking to purchase my own,,,any recommendations??:)

Obviously, Nikon, not Canon.

My main lens is my 70-200/4.

I also use my 18-35 g extensively -- Wish it was a little wider. But for the price and size of the lens, it produces some amazing quality.

I own the basic Nikon 24-85 g, ostensibly as a walk-around kit lens, but I find I don't use it often. I more often either want telephoto or wide, so I can often live without 36-69. the quality of the Nikon 24-85 is okay. I have gotten some great shots, but I'm never blown away.

I sometimes use the 50/1.8 g -- I don't have the steadiest hands, so the lack of stabilization hurts. I need to keep the shutter speed up, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the fast aperture. It is also not sharp wide open... but if I keep the aperture at 3.5 or smaller, and keep my shutter speed up, then it can be a remarkably good lens.

I bought a used copy of the 105/2.8 macro.. I like macro work. But I fear the VR may be broken on it. I hear the VR making noise, but doesn't seem to have any impact. It's a sharp lens. But I previously used the Minolta 100/2.8, which I found to be nearly perfect.

I have my eyes set on the new Nikon 300/4 pf vr, for upcoming Alaska cruise. A light-weight 300mm prime which I can pair with teleconverters! Reviews I have seen so far, suggest the sharpness is very good, but not great.... But a good compromise to keep the weight down. It's expensive though..... Considering just renting it, but I do want it.

I'm also considering the Nikon 85/1.8 g... Nikon's 85 lenses get remarkable reviews. I was planning on using the 105/2.8 as macro AND as a portrait lens. But as I'm not totally thrilled with it, and the 85/1.8 isn't expensive.. I might eventually go that route. But right now, saving my money to justify the 300mm.

This really does become a very very expensive hobby. I may have an upcoming gig that will pay me $300-$500. I'll use that to rationalize $2,000 in spending, lol.

For Canon lenses to go with your 5D3, I suggest:

- 70-200 f2.8L II IS USM, can be used with 2x converter

- 16-35 f2.8L II USM,

- 24-105 f4 or 24-70 f2.8L