Flight in.....pre-cruise and hotels.

dewla

Should we fly in the day before or the day of our cruise? If we do the cruise that starts in St. Thomas, the ship doesn't leave till the morning AFTER embarkation. The flight gets in at 4:20pm....

Any suggestions for hotels in St. Thomas, St. Martin/St. Maarten, or Barbados? (Depending on which of the two itineraries on Nov 27th we choose--having a tough time deciding! LOL!).

THANKS!!

We cruised out of STT on SD last year. We came in the day before and stayed at the Marriott, the Morning Star section. I would HIGHLY recommend arriving the day before so you aren't stressing about your flight or your luggage. We ALWAYS fly in the day before our cruises.

We are doing SD in November from West Palm Beach to STT. We arrive in West Palm the day before the cruise. We are staying in STT two days after the cruise.

I am trying to decide if I want to stay at the Marriott again or if I want to stay at Caneel Bay on St. John. The Marriott was fine last year (we haven't stayed in the Frencman's Reef section) but we are frequent visitors to both the US and British Virgin Islands and I have always wanted to stay at Caneel since first seeing it some 20 years ago.

Hope that helps!

I'll second the recommendation for flying in the day before. I would suspect there are more direct flights in on Saturday, but I don't know that for sure.

As for where to stay, we are staying at the Crystal Palace B&B the night before our sailing.

DisneyJen - We are staying for three nights post-sailing at Caneel Bay! Did I tell you that before, or are you reading my mind? :)

Bill

A definitive third for flying in the night before. We've only stayed on St. Thomas. We had a Sunday departure date both times and flew in Saturday for the first one (stayed at Frenchman's Reef - wasn't that impressed, but location was great.)

On the second we flew in on Friday for a Sunday departure and stayed at the Secret Harbor (great restaurant and 5 minutes from the Red Hook ferries to St. John, Tortola, etc.) However, our room was extremely hot as the air conditioning broke and didn't get fixed. Wouldn't recommend staying there but the bartender mixes some great rum drinks.

Next trip originating in St. Thomas we are going to stay at the Wyndham. The Swiss couple on Sea Dream stayed there two nights before the cruise and were going back for a week -- said it was to die for.

A number of people on our ship stayed at the Holiday Inn downtown -- very close to shopping, etc - but no beach.

The ports of call postings on Cruise Critic seem to contain some good information on hotel options. Good luck

FT

Bill - I didn't remember you telling me about Caneel:p I think I have DH talked into since we did Morningstar last year.

FT - I have heard that the Reef part of the hotel isn't as nice as the Morningstar side. Our room was fine ... not great but pretty good for the Caribbean. I have heard mixed reviews on the Wyndham so I will be interested in hearing what you have to say.

We have stayed at the Westin in St. John. It was ok ... not quite like the Westins here in the States just as the Marriott isn't quite like the Marriotts in the States.

OK, on St. Thomas the Ritz is sold out. Marriott is also sold out, but since hubbie is Platinum can get a room for $383. Or can stay at Wyndham for $386 for all inclusive. Which one?

(Caneel Bay and Westin on St. John also sold out.......it is 2 days after Thanksgiving.......)

On St. Martin, LaSamanna is available for $425 for basic room....any suggestions for there?

:)

Dewla .... actually what is quite interesting about the Ritz is that it shows sold out for us as well ... but when I plug in a week's stay instead of two nights ... there is availability.

Not familiar with the Wyndham... you have my comments on the Marriott;)

DH and I have stayed on St. Martin for part of our honeymoon some 22 years ago:eek: I can't remember the hotel's name. So I can't be of any help.

Thanks. Yes, I spoke with the Ritz and there is a minimum night's stay there over Thanksgiving. Oh well.

We are going to come in the day before the cruise, although my hubbie wants to come in on Sun. Since the ship doesn't leave St. Thomas as usual, it sits in port till 6am the next day when it goes to St. John and stays there till Mon evening. So hubbie figured if we got in late, the ship would be there till the next day anyways.

But I decided I would rather be able to board at 2pm when we first are able!

(But getting a room on the Sat of Thanksgiving is a little tricky!)

We stayed at the Holiday Inn downtown a few times and finally gave it up because, although it is a convenient walk to shops, the place really needed, in our opinion, a good refurbishing, a through cleaning and a service improvement.

You might try the Best Western Emerald Beach (the better of the two Best Westerns). A very short ride from the airport; comfortable rooms; reasonable (but not, by any means, gourmet) dining; priced in the $150 plus tax range; and a short cab ride to the ship.

imd.

Thanks!

What do y'all think of a one night stay at Caneel Bay on St. John before leaving on the Sea Dream out of St. Thomas?

We have a room at the Marriott (Frenchman's Reef) for $383 or a room at the Caneel Bay for $395. (The one at Caneel Bay will include on b-fast and one lunch). Holiday Inn is $175.

What do y'all think of a one night stay at Caneel Bay on St. John before leaving on the Sea Dream out of St. Thomas?

Caneel Bay is a much nicer hotel and in a much prettier location. The problem is that it's much more difficult to get to...cab from STT airport to ferry dock, ferry from St. Thomas to St. John, and then cab to Caneel Bay. On the other hand, if you're staying on St. Thomas, it's only a cab from the arirport to your hotel of choice.

If I'm staying only one night, I stay on St. Thomas. Any longer and I'm happy to endure the longer trip to get the benefit of staying on St. John.

Caneel Bay does offer its own transfer service ... you go to a "lounge" at the airport and then they arrange a taxi for you to Lady Caneel (their boat). Some packages include the transfer.

I just made reservations at Morning Star at Marriott's Frenchman's Reef for our two night post cruise on STT. I was able to get a garden view (which is just steps to the beach) for $289 before taxes. We stayed in the same accommodations last year and it was fine. I had wanted to stay at Caneel, but after looking at the logistics, it didn't make sense for us as we would have 1 full day on property.

You might want to ask about the other hotels on the St. Thomas/St. John boards as there are some very helpful locals on that board.

We have stayed at the Hotel 1829. Very interesting if you want an in-town casual place with lots of charm, albeit rustic charm. Somewhat noisy as you are in the old part of the city, good for walking to restaurants, but you have to taxi to the beaches. However, if you are looking for Sea Dream luxury, go for a beachfront room at Morningstar. Request an upper floor to see over the vegetation.

Having done Morningstar, looking at Caneel Bay or the Wyndham perhaps for this year.

Ditto everyone elses comments about arriving early. Luggage does have a way of getting lost.

Thank you both for your replies. Although I would love to stay at Caneel, I guess it is too inconvenient for one night.

We have a room reserved at Frenchman's Reef only because my hubbie is Platinum in their elite program. The hotel is totally sold out and they said we could not get into MorningStar.

Wyndham is the same price (for ocean view) with all inclusive as the Marriott is for room only. (Actually Wyndham is cheaper). But concerned Wyndham is yuchy.

I know it is kind of silly, it is only one night, but I want to start the vacation with the best ambience we can get before we get on the SD!

Yep, we are arriving a day early to be sure all luggage makes it. I guess carry on would be too hard to do. Although I did it for a week in Italy....

All comments are greatly appreciated!!

I can relate Dewla as I am a compulsive planner:p

Actually I am huge fan of Chico's Traveler line of clothing. It travels extraordinarily well and you have the mix and match option. I guess if you really had to you could pack it all in carry-ons ... but I always need room for the items I bring home.

Last year I took way too much clothing and shoe wise. We really lived in bathsuits and cover-ups during the days, along with shorts and tops for breakfast and lunch and on island.

Archived