Ncl star or disney fantasy for family of 5

Septemberoctober

We have never cruised before. I am looking at disney fantasy in a deluxe family ocean view with verandah or the norweigan star in a family suite. Even in th suite the ncl cruise will still only cost about 60% of the disney cost.

My kids are 5,7,11. Kids entertainment & fun is very important to us.

Thanks so much!

Since you've never cruised before, I would say save the money and go with NCL. It will be new and fun and exciting enough being on a huge ship on a cruise, even without all the Disney flair. We are Disney lovers but have never been able to justify the cost of DCL...maybe someday when we're grandparents! :) Having said all that, it might also depend on where you're going. If you're going on a port-intensive cruise where you won't be on the ship as much, the ship itself is less important. Only you can know how big a factor budget is to you, but rest assured you can have a great time on NCL. Happy cruising, whatever you decide!

We were on the NCL Star last August on a Baltic cruise. The kids clubs were outstanding - they had a lot of really nice activities for the kids making crafts and learning circus tricks, and never used television. Service was also very strong, which was surprising since this was one of the less expensive cruise lines we had sailed. The two downsides are: the kids club is closed from 12-2, and 5-7 on sea days, which may or may not be an issue for your family (your children are probably too old to nap, so your family probably has more flexibility than a family with younger children). It should be noted that the kids pools were crowded when the kids clubs were closed, and there was a substantial line to sign children in when the kids clubs reopened. Disney kids clubs will give your family more flexibility since you can choose your family time and not worry about covering the hours the kids clubs were closed.

The second downside on Norwegian was the food. I found the food in the free venues to not be very good, but really liked the food at Modernos (a fee based Brazilian restaurant) and the steak restaurant was good. NCL offers a dining package, and if you are particular about your food and your ship isn't docked at night you should consider the dining package.

When I sailed last August, the suite passengers had access to a special dining room for breakfast and lunch (which was important since the venues were pretty crowded and hard to navigate). When I tried to look up the name of the restaurant, this site didn't seem to list this perk anymore: http://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-accommodations/cruise-suites-and-penthouses . You might want to contact NCL or post a question on their forum to see if this perk is still available. It does appear you will still be able to order a full meal off their menu through room service in a suite. This was a very nice perk on HAL when you are traveling with young children.

I haven't sailed Disney, but would be inclined to agree with previous posters that the Disney experience probably matters more on less port intensive itineraries (Disney sails to the Baltics, but honestly we were all so tired after running around Europe that I don't think we would have appreciated the Disney experience nearly as much as on a Caribbean vacation where you spend more time on the ship).

Edited by kitkat343